Portable Scanners

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
a b D Laptop
September 26, 2004 3:44:39 PM

I am on the road a lot and need a portable scanner. I am running XP
Pro laptop. Any suggestions? Thanks.

More about : portable scanners

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 26, 2004 5:54:37 PM

In article <2e8b954b.0409261044.6a4e290e@posting.google.com>,
vtot4y602@sneakemail.com says...
> I am on the road a lot and need a portable scanner. I am running XP
> Pro laptop. Any suggestions? Thanks.

The various USB powered ones from Canon as generally most often touted
for portability. No separate power input needed. Are mostly CIS models,
not CCD, so for use with only truly flat originals, no depth of field.

Mac
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 27, 2004 12:06:48 PM

On 26 Sep 2004 11:44:39 -0700, vtot4y602@sneakemail.com (RO) wrote:

> I am on the road a lot and need a portable scanner. I am running XP
> Pro laptop. Any suggestions? Thanks.

You could use a digital camera.
a b D Laptop
September 29, 2004 1:18:59 AM

I normally shoot color transparency film, but have a job coming up which I
have been asked to shoot negs of.

I use tungsten lights and tungsten balenced films pretty exclusively.

Now I was sort of surprised to find colour neg films balenced for tungsten -
I assumed you just used daylight and colour correted out the yellow cast
later.

Question is - I need faster emulsions for this shoot, so tungsten is not an
option as they are slow and filtering just takes away all the speed
advantage.

So if I shoot fast daylight neg in tungsten and get them pro scanned to high
res, can the lab take out the yellow cast ok when scanning, or will this be
abad route to take??

TIA

Phil
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
September 29, 2004 6:53:37 AM

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:18:59 GMT in alt.comp.periphs.scanner, "Philip
Webb" <phil.webb@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>I normally shoot color transparency film, but have a job coming up which I
>have been asked to shoot negs of.
>
>I use tungsten lights and tungsten balenced films pretty exclusively.
>
>Now I was sort of surprised to find colour neg films balenced for tungsten -
>I assumed you just used daylight and colour correted out the yellow cast
>later.
>
>Question is - I need faster emulsions for this shoot, so tungsten is not an
>option as they are slow and filtering just takes away all the speed
>advantage.
>
>So if I shoot fast daylight neg in tungsten and get them pro scanned to high
>res, can the lab take out the yellow cast ok when scanning, or will this be
>abad route to take??

Can't you use a daylight source: floods or flash?
How would you correct colour balance on an enlarger?
What side effects would you expect when doing so?
How would those side effects affect your finishe product?
Does the lab even offer colour balance correction?

Brian.Inglis@CSi.com (Brian[dot]Inglis{at}SystematicSW[dot]ab[dot]ca)
fake address use address above to reply
!