dial-up to wireless router

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Can someone suggest how to hook a wireless router up to a dial-up
connection in an infrastructure configuration? I've done it in an ad hoc
network, but need an infrastructure network.
7 answers Last reply
More about dial wireless router
  1. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    M E Williams <myronwms@nospamcharter.net> wrote:
    >Can someone suggest how to hook a wireless router up to a dial-up
    >connection in an infrastructure configuration? I've done it in an ad hoc
    >network, but need an infrastructure network.

    Well, besides the RTFNG answer, there's still
    http://www.alwaysonwireless.com/wiflyer.html
  2. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    "M E Williams" wrote in message
    > Can someone suggest how to hook a wireless router up to a dial-up
    > connection in an infrastructure configuration? I've done it in an ad hoc
    > network, but need an infrastructure network.

    Which OS? WinXP (or even Win98 with ICS) shouldn't be difficult -- just
    bridge the computer's NIC to it's modem.
    If you want ICS (yuck!) to do the routing stuff (and DHCP), CAT5 the NIC to
    one of the router's LAN ports. If you want the router to do all the routing
    stiuff (and DHCP), CAT5 the NIC to the router's WAN. Either way should
    work. In fact, I used the latter to get a wireless router talking with a
    dialup (internal PC modem) for a short period before getting broadband. Its
    messy, its slow, its ugly, but it works. :^)

    Cheers
    Eric
  3. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Thanks. Sounds like it ought to work. I should have a free day later
    this week to try it out. I was trying to demonstrate a wireless network
    for our Club, but we cannot get wideband to the meeting room. Slow was
    expected, ugly is ok, works is required.

    Myron

    Eric wrote:
    > "M E Williams" wrote in message
    >
    >>Can someone suggest how to hook a wireless router up to a dial-up
    >>connection in an infrastructure configuration? I've done it in an ad hoc
    >>network, but need an infrastructure network.
    >

    > Which OS? WinXP (or even Win98 with ICS) shouldn't be difficult -- just
    > bridge the computer's NIC to it's modem.
    > If you want ICS (yuck!) to do the routing stuff (and DHCP), CAT5 the NIC to
    > one of the router's LAN ports. If you want the router to do all the routing
    > stiuff (and DHCP), CAT5 the NIC to the router's WAN. Either way should
    > work. In fact, I used the latter to get a wireless router talking with a
    > dialup (internal PC modem) for a short period before getting broadband. Its
    > messy, its slow, its ugly, but it works. :^)
    >
    > Cheers
    > Eric

  4. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Apple Airport Extreme too
    http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/

    > Well, besides the RTFNG answer, there's still
    > http://www.alwaysonwireless.com/wiflyer.html
  5. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    Do you have exerience with the Apple Airport Extreme with Win XP?

    I am considering this over the Wiflyer as it appears to offer WPA and a
    few other goodies.

    The user notes seem to indicate that some ISPs will not support a
    connection from an Apple Airport Extreme.

    bumtracks wrote:

    > Apple Airport Extreme too
    > http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/
    >

    >>Well, besides the RTFNG answer, there's still
    >>http://www.alwaysonwireless.com/wiflyer.html

  6. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    hxbarney@cap.rr.com wrote:
    >Do you have exerience with the Apple Airport Extreme with Win XP?
    >
    >I am considering this over the Wiflyer as it appears to offer WPA and a
    >few other goodies.

    I've used both, and both seemed to work well, though I haven't used
    either of them with dialup.
  7. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    ~ Do you have exerience with the Apple Airport Extreme with Win XP?

    My mom has an Airport Extreme configured for dialup to her ISP, and
    I've accessed it from my XP laptop with no problems.

    You don't get the same integration with the OS as you would with OS X
    though ... from her iBook, for example, she can tell the Airport Extreme
    to dial up or hang up ... you don't get this function in XP.

    ~
    ~ I am considering this over the Wiflyer as it appears to offer WPA and a
    ~ few other goodies.
    ~
    ~ The user notes seem to indicate that some ISPs will not support a
    ~ connection from an Apple Airport Extreme.

    This "will not support" means that they're not going to hold your
    hand if you can't figure out how to configure your Airport Extreme
    to dial into them and authenticate in PAP/CHAP, while they might
    be willing to hold your hand if you were dialing in from Windows.

    Aaron

Configuration Wireless Router Infrastructure Dial Up Connection Wireless Networking