Sign in with
Your question

Looking at a new Build Feedback Needed

Last response: in Systems
October 20, 2006 5:27:05 AM

im currently in the process of buying the new build and sorting out the pieces..

what i have currently prior to buying anything is 2 WD barracuda 160gb HDD, a Thermaltake Xaser V case and a samsung DVD-CD Burner Combo

im looking at getting:

Proc: C2D E6400

Mobo: Gigabyte DS3 Which According to this Forum is the Top Mobo For a C2D OC

Ram: WINTEC AMP-X 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
im not sure what the voltage is i know it has to be at 1.8 for it to work with the P965 chipset

VC: EVGA 7900GS or the X1950 Pro (not sure want to see the bench for the pro)

PSU: HIPER HPU-4K580-MS ATX12V 580W (im looking for a modular PSU under 100 bucks but if i have to go over by 50 i wont mind)

im looking at water cooling with a Gigabyte Galaxy II but im not too sure if its good i havent seen anything on it...let me know how this is if anyone has dealt with it...thanks

the mouse keyboard and all that stuff is taken care of...

id appreciate any and all feedback and thanks in advance...

also i am looking foward to getting a DX10 card and overclocking also im trying not to spend more than $850 dollars...

More about : build feedback needed

October 21, 2006 7:40:31 PM

Unless you're looking for extreme OC'ing, I doubt watercooling is necessary. Save any extra $$ for DX10.....in which case you should really upgrade the PSU insted. Grab an OCZ GameXstream.....either 600W or 700W (if you really want to be sure DX10 card will have enough juice)
October 22, 2006 3:05:47 AM

Well, DirectX 10 is Vista architecture so unless your gonna run Vista (which i wouldn't) the DirectX 10 is outta the question.
Your the kind of person that likes to have his cake and eat it too, but $850 won't even get you close.....maybe $850 x 2 and then some.
Before you learn the hard way about using 2nd tier RAM i would not cut any corners there, use Kingston, Corsair or Crucial.
Same thing with the PSU, are you looking at the specs or the pictures (the modular design is a nice touch), do you wonder why those PSU's require 2 fans........because the efficiency is so low they need 2 fans to cool that PSU down.
They say ATI is the cats meow when it comes to graphics (that's why i run NVIDIA), but if wanna play you gotta pay.
TTFN
Related resources
October 22, 2006 8:21:27 PM

i appreciate ur voices and i have decided upon going with what u have said..

the gigabyte s3
the 6300 c2d
the 7900gs
corsair xms2 1gig expert (only because im getting it at a 100 dollar mark)
and the OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W Power Supply bc its awesome MIR

forgoing the watercooler till later and im picking up an aurora case for nil through a trade in.....
October 22, 2006 9:57:37 PM

Excellent choice. That PSU is overkill for now but will definitely come in handy later.

Good luck!
October 22, 2006 10:10:12 PM

i have the 6400 and that mobo and they are both awesome. Have it overclocked to 2.8 right now with out even trying. no voltage changes. all stock. Waiting on my new heatsink and case to come in before i mess around with it more. its so fast theres no need to. i deffinately recommend 2 gigs of ddr2 800 corsair ram. it works great. plenty of room to overclock above 800 also.
!