evga 7600gt ko: is this a good upgrade?

chrone

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
evga 7600gt ko (pcie), is this a good upgrade from x1600pro (agp), while waiting for the dx10 card to come?

FIY, i only have to pay $150 for the evga 7600gt ko.

any experience on this evga 7600gt ko card, anybody? i'm eager to hear the pro and the cons.

thanks in advance! :)

melarcky

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
I can't help yo with the card,because I haven't ever tried one out. But I will just say this. I wouldn't get it due to the fact that its such a small upgrade. Just keep your x1600pro tell DX10. Plus I have noticed it is an AGP card, does your mother board support both?

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
x1600pro (agp)

Oops, missed that part. in that case you'd have to look at getting an AGP version of the 7600gt and good luck as they're pretty hard to find. It's hard to say without knowing the rest of your system, but you'd probably be best off waiting for DX10 like melarcky said if your motherboard doesn't have PCI-X.

Il_palazzo

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Like the others said if your current card is still good enough to play the games you want to play then keep it till DX10.

But I would spend the extra money for Gigabyte's passively cooled 7600gt over the Evga, the stock cooler on the Evga is not bad but also not all that good. When it spins up you can hear it, but after installing a Zalman noise is no longer a issue.

The EVGA cooler is likely a little better then the regular Nvidia cooler but thats not exactly saying very much. And the Gigabyte was also better then Nvidia cooler and is probably better then the Evga cooler.

chrone

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
i'm using asrock 775dual-vsta which supports both agp and pcie. hehe

i'm planning to go for asus p5w dh deluxe (i've looked for abit aw9d-max but it lacks some features that i want) and dual 1gb supertalent ddr2 667 ram.

the only thing which helds me back to get that mobo is my agp card. so for future upgrade path, the lowest price would cost me is the evga 7600gt ko, or sapphire x1900xt, use it awhile 6 months to 1 year and wait for dx10 2nd generation card comes out and sell the card and do the upgrade.

i've done some searching in the newegg user review regarding this evga 7600gt card, there were some that reported too hot temperature and the frame locked up or something like that when playing some 3d games.

i know my current specification will survive for another one or two year with using the lowest setting to the current 3d game (need for speed series). i just get itchy to have one of the vga everytime i read reviews from tomshardware and other respectable review site. hehe :lol:

i always prefer to ati, but i acknowledge that 7600gt is the champ compared to the x1600xt/1650pro. therefore i need to know the 7600gt ko series from evga before making a purchase.

thanks

Il_palazzo

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
I have one by the way, I'm not sure what voltage it's using, but ya with the stock cooler that sucker did get quite hot.

Pro its hard to f-up a warranty with evga, its stock over clocked, and the price is right.

Con it runs hot, makes to much noise, you can just overclock a regular 7600gt to the same speeds, and other cards have better coolers and or better software for around the same price.

Oh and if you do buy the card or any card with Nero, download the updates for Nero and you should be able to use Nvidia purevideo.

chrone

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Like the others said if your current card is still good enough to play the games you want to play then keep it till DX10.

But I would spend the extra money for Gigabyte's passively cooled 7600gt over the Evga, the stock cooler on the Evga is not bad but also not all that good. When it spins up you can hear it, but after installing a Zalman noise is no longer a issue.

The EVGA cooler is likely a little better then the regular Nvidia cooler but thats not exactly saying very much. And the Gigabyte was also better then Nvidia cooler and is probably better then the Evga cooler.

yeah, i guess all of you are right.

sorry for being stupid here, as tomorrow i will have a one week holiday, therefore i'm trying to make a way to upgrade and have some fun with my new ride for the whole holiday. but if it's not worth it, then i will stick to my current hardware and wait.

It's hard to say without knowing the rest of your system, but you'd probably be best off waiting for DX10 like melarcky said

here's the system:
c2d e6600
asrock 775dual-vsta
2x 1gb corsair value select ddr400
his x1600pro agp
120gb wdc se
550w thermaltake tr2

by the way, thank you all for the inputs here. i really appreciate it :)

kickbutt

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2006
If u can, keep your gold and get a better card when the dx10 cards arrive.

Sure the 7600GT is better in most (all?) cases but the diffrence is to small for the gold it cost.
Try up to the 7900/7950gs/gt or a x1900/1950gto/gt/xt its not that much more expencive but then u got a more "worthy" upgrade

Or just wait untill the dx10 cards get here

Other then that - Yes the 7600gt is a good card

chrone

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
thanks again for making up my mind: wait. :cry:

oh yeah one more thing about nvidia, which manufacture are the best for the money and performance with features?

i used these from early 2005: 9200se (agp) and x1600pro (agp), both manufactured by HIS. i love HIS company for the quiet IceQ technology, but the x1k series is very hot (think the chipset at back will fry my finger if i touch it quite longer).

so if i will buy an nvidia card, which manufacture you would recommend me the most? ever heard digital alliance products, it's quite cheaper here in indonesia?

from this thread now i know evga is good plus hot, gygabyte expensive but cool, and what else? you name it.. :)

megame255

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
There's not much of a difference between the different brands performancewise, though some card makers will offer better HSFs and cards that come overclocked. However, it's most important to select a brand that stands behind their products and offers a lifetime warranty such as BFG or eVGA. Never heard of digital alliance, but then again it would depend a lot on their warranty.