Scanning negs.....

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 29, 2004 1:21:15 AM

I normally shoot colour transparency film, but have a job coming up which I
have been asked to shoot negs of.

I use tungsten lights and tungsten balanced films pretty exclusively.

Now I was sort of surprised to find colour neg films balanced for tungsten -
I assumed you just used daylight and colour corrected out the yellow cast
later.

Question is - I need faster emulsions for this shoot, so tungsten is not an
option as they are slow and filtering just takes away all the speed
advantage.

So if I shoot fast daylight neg in tungsten and get them pro scanned to high
res, can the lab take out the yellow cast ok when scanning, or will this be
a bad route to take??

TIA

Phil

More about : scanning negs

Anonymous
September 29, 2004 3:56:38 AM

"Philip Webb" <phil.webb@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> I normally shoot colour transparency film, but have a job coming up which
> have been asked to shoot negs of.
>
> I use tungsten lights and tungsten balanced films pretty exclusively.
>
> Now I was sort of surprised to find colour neg films balanced for
tungsten -
> I assumed you just used daylight and colour corrected out the yellow cast
> later.
>
> Question is - I need faster emulsions for this shoot, so tungsten is not
an
> option as they are slow and filtering just takes away all the speed
> advantage.
>
> So if I shoot fast daylight neg in tungsten and get them pro scanned to
high
> res, can the lab take out the yellow cast ok when scanning, or will this
be
> a bad route to take??
>
> TIA
>
> Phil

It is a very bad idea to shoot Tungsten lighting with daylight film without
a filter. There is almost no way to correct the color balance when scanning
film.

Tungsten lights are very red-yellow to daylight film. It is very hard to add
in colors that are not in the negative.

Is ISO 160 too slow?
http://www.adorama.com/FJNPL120PP.html

Search for "Tungsten Balanced Negative Film"
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?page=searchresults&s...

You can use a 80A (Blue) filter to shoot Daylight film with Tungsten Lights.
Then the color balance is correct. You do not have to worry about exposure
if your camera meters through the lens. An 80A filter will not effect the
speed of the film if you meter through the lens.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com