Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Wireless router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 1:47:24 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Is it possible to set up a wireless router to work with a WiFi pocket
pc, without a desktop pc or with a desktop pc that only has a USB port
(not an ethernet port)?

If it's possible, what are the basic steps I need to follow to get the
wireless connection happening?

Thanks!

More about : wireless router

Anonymous
September 16, 2005 8:17:44 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 21:47:24 -0400, Eric G <EricG@ether.net> wrote:

>Is it possible to set up a wireless router to work with a WiFi pocket
>pc, without a desktop pc or with a desktop pc that only has a USB port
>(not an ethernet port)?

It's possible with a USB to ethernet adapter. The ethernet port goes
to the ethernet port on the wireless router.

>If it's possible, what are the basic steps I need to follow to get the
>wireless connection happening?

1. Open wallet.
2. Remove credit card.
3. Hand to sales clerk.
4. Sign the credit slip.
5. Take wireless router and USB to ethernet adapter home.
6. Setup USB to ethernet adapter on your computah. Test with another
PC or ethernet device.
7. Setup wireless router with cable between USB to ethernet adapter.
8. Open instruction book that came with wireless router.
9. Read and follow instructions.
10. Optional: fill out rebate coupons and recycle packages.



--
# Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
# 831.336.2558 voice Skype: JeffLiebermann
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
# http://802.11junk.com
# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# jeffl@cruzio.com
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 1:32:59 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

"Jeff Liebermann" <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote in message
news:nkhki1d90ntppbngfmnthrp8enherl9k2l@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 21:47:24 -0400, Eric G <EricG@ether.net> wrote:
>
> >Is it possible to set up a wireless router to work with a WiFi pocket
> >pc, without a desktop pc or with a desktop pc that only has a USB port
> >(not an ethernet port)?
>
> It's possible with a USB to ethernet adapter. The ethernet port goes
> to the ethernet port on the wireless router.
>
> >If it's possible, what are the basic steps I need to follow to get the
> >wireless connection happening?
>
> 1. Open wallet.
> 2. Remove credit card.
> 3. Hand to sales clerk.
> 4. Sign the credit slip.
> 5. Take wireless router and USB to ethernet adapter home.
> 6. Setup USB to ethernet adapter on your computah. Test with another
> PC or ethernet device.
> 7. Setup wireless router with cable between USB to ethernet adapter.
> 8. Open instruction book that came with wireless router.
> 9. Read and follow instructions.
> 10. Optional: fill out rebate coupons and recycle packages.
>
>
>
> --
> # Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
> # 831.336.2558 voice Skype: JeffLiebermann
> # http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
> # http://802.11junk.com
> # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
> # jeffl@cruzio.com

Heh. I betcha he'll do all of them except the part about "Read and follow
instructions"
Related resources
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 11:25:29 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your ahem.... detailed instructions. :) 
One more question.
Once I've done all of this _setting up_ with all of this new equipment
can I then just turn on my cable modem and my wireless router and have
my pocket WiFi Pocket PC communicate with the router?

In other words is it necessary to have my desktop PC turned on
whenever I just want to communicate wirelessly between my Pocket PC
and my wireless router (which is connected to my cable modem).

Sorry if this all seem perfectly obvious to you.
In my head, I'm thinking that the desktop might be needed once, just
to set things up

Eric


>
>1. Open wallet.
>2. Remove credit card.
>3. Hand to sales clerk.
>4. Sign the credit slip.
>5. Take wireless router and USB to ethernet adapter home.
>6. Setup USB to ethernet adapter on your computah. Test with another
>PC or ethernet device.
>7. Setup wireless router with cable between USB to ethernet adapter.
>8. Open instruction book that came with wireless router.
>9. Read and follow instructions.
>10. Optional: fill out rebate coupons and recycle packages.
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 6:38:42 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 19:25:29 -0400, Eric G <EricG@ether.net> wrote:

> Thanks for your ahem.... detailed instructions. :) 

Well, you did want details.

>Once I've done all of this _setting up_ with all of this new equipment
>can I then just turn on my cable modem and my wireless router and have
>my pocket WiFi Pocket PC communicate with the router?

Yes. Think of the wireless connection as EXACTLY like a wired
ethernet connection. More specifically, 802.11 wireless is nothing
more than encapsulated 802.3 ethernet packets. If you decode 802.11
packets, you find ethernet packets. So, wireless is just an extension
cord in place of ethernet (without the wires).

>In other words is it necessary to have my desktop PC turned on
>whenever I just want to communicate wirelessly between my Pocket PC
>and my wireless router (which is connected to my cable modem).

The computer can be turned off and will not affect the internet access
of any other wired or wireless connected computahs. The only thing
that's odd is the USB to ethernet adapter. If you pretend that this
adapter is built into the computer, with only the ethernet port
exposed to the outside of the case, you have the equivalent of a
typical wired client computer.

>Sorry if this all seem perfectly obvious to you.

I won't apologize for seeing the obvious.

>In my head, I'm thinking that the desktop might be needed once, just
>to set things up

Correct. You need to setup the WAN (internet) side of the router to
deal with the cable modem. Also, you need to setup the wireless part
to deal with security issues. Once that's done and saved in the
router, the router takes care of all the logins, authentication,
encryption, delivering DHCP addresses, and much more.

One thing to watch out for is to NOT try to upgrade the router
firmware with a wireless connection. The USB to ethernet adapter
should be fine for that.


--
# Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
# 831.336.2558 voice Skype: JeffLiebermann
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
# http://802.11junk.com
# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# jeffl@cruzio.com
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 6:38:43 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Thanks very much Jeff for this info, I really appreciate it! :) 

Eric


On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 02:38:42 GMT, Jeff Liebermann
<jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:


>
>>In other words is it necessary to have my desktop PC turned on
>>whenever I just want to communicate wirelessly between my Pocket PC
>>and my wireless router (which is connected to my cable modem).
>
>The computer can be turned off and will not affect the internet access
>of any other wired or wireless connected computahs. The only thing
>that's odd is the USB to ethernet adapter. If you pretend that this
>adapter is built into the computer, with only the ethernet port
>exposed to the outside of the case, you have the equivalent of a
>typical wired client computer.
>
>>Sorry if this all seem perfectly obvious to you.
>
>I won't apologize for seeing the obvious.
>
>>In my head, I'm thinking that the desktop might be needed once, just
>>to set things up
>
>Correct. You need to setup the WAN (internet) side of the router to
>deal with the cable modem. Also, you need to setup the wireless part
>to deal with security issues. Once that's done and saved in the
>router, the router takes care of all the logins, authentication,
>encryption, delivering DHCP addresses, and much more.
>
>One thing to watch out for is to NOT try to upgrade the router
>firmware with a wireless connection. The USB to ethernet adapter
>should be fine for that.
!