moving Raid0 from laptop to desktop

sxt

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Hello,

this is my first post here and im desperate for some help :(

I got an alienware laptop (m7700) with 2x60gb hard disks in Raid0 mode which was burned few weeks ago. Assuming that the hard diks are still working i want to ask if there is any way to move the hard disks from the laptop to my desktop and recreate the raid in order to backup my data. If that is possible,(moving disks from laptop to desktop), the desktop should have only the laptop disks or i can keep the one i have atm and add the laptop disks aswell ??

thanks in advance

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
No, there isn't. RAID 0 is not reconstructible, especially not if the drives were damaged.

You can get adapters for the drives, so that they'll fit in the case, but as far as recontructing the array, you can't.

SomeJoe7777

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Obviously if the drives are physically damaged, then there's no way.

However, if the drives are good, and can be recognized by the BIOS in another machine, then you can do it. Of course, it won't be free.

Check out RAID Reconstructor by Runtime. (Same people who make GetDataBack). It will be able to reconstruct the data from a 2-drive RAID-0, provided the drives are working. I think the price is $99.