Post card tester

BobbyY3

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
im new to using a post card test whould like to know where i could get some info how to use and read one.

BobbyY3

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
i understand the basic idea i have run it i also looked back at the codes it put up what i would like to know is if and when it finds a problem is it the final code when it is all said and done.

BobbyY3

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
I used the card went. I hit the button for 1 sec and then i can cycle through all the codes that it has stored it seems that it's codes for what it has checked. then when i have gone through all it sends end. I hit button on the card again it will test the bus speed during debug status it came back with 0 bus speed.
I tried it on my daughters computer that is working good ( i didnt go through all the codes tho) but i tried the bus speed on hers and it came back with 33.3 something..
The pc im working on is a friends what the pc is doing is when it starts up it gets to end of checking the drives that are installed it stops. if i unplug the hd it will will boot up from the windows xp disk just as if it was going to intall windows.....i tried another hd but it still does the same thing....I would really like to understand the post card tho.. i have worked on lots of pc but would test parts on working pc this is the first one that i didnt have a working pc to test with ( like to test the processor on) this one that im on i could test the processor on but i dont miss with this one i need one that always work good if you know what i mean.....i Really want to understand fully the Post Card tho.

BobbyY3

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
im sorry i didnt think anyone was up this time of day cept me.( just got home from work) i edited my last post. the ram seems to be ok the i removed one then the other the board picked each single and with both installed showing the 1ghz that is installed on the mb. i will download and run the mem test.. i will give you the specs. of the board in just a sec.
oh and it is ide yea they are on master hd on 1 and master dvd rom on 2.

BobbyY3

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
i dont know all about the pc just started with it i know that it is an ECS 848p ver 1.0 MB, it has an intel p4 prescott 3.0ghz w/ht processor, 1ghz ddr400 ram, it has an 256ddr ved card not sure which one and a sound card not sure on it also...havent got that far i know that he had it built and they gave him no disks so i will have to find out what he has so i can get drivers i know that his son took out the hd to get files off of it not sure if he formatted it or not.

BobbyY3

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
not sure yet first just need to find out why the pc stops before finshing with the bios with the hd pluged up first thought it was the power supply but i tried a good one and did the same thing. also check the cmos battery some of the things he told me made me think it was maybe one of those.

BobbyY3

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
ok ran memtest where it show info about pc it showed the processor as 2993mhz it is a 3ghz. it showed the ram as ddr398 it is 400 and fsb as 199mhz it is 200.
i took out one stick ran test it had errors test1 0errors, test2 20 errors,test3 44 errors, test4 103, test5 80, test6 69, test7 15800 errors, test8 697..... took that stick out put the other one in no errors but system info was same 2993mhz as processor, ram as ddr398 and fsb as 199mhz... i then installed a stick of ram from one of my pc that is good same pc info as before with no errors......i went into the bios just to make sure everything was set right and it was.. so now what is the board bad or the processor. I still would like to find more info on how to understand the testcard.

adder1971

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I wouldnt worry about the frequency too much. It seems like you found the problem or at least one of them being a stick of bad memory. I dont know too much about those test cards but you seem to have fixed the problem the old fashioned way :)

BobbyY3

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
the bad ram is not the whole problem. i took out the bad ram and still have the problems(see 5th post) pc stops after show the installed hd and dvd-rom..
this is why im thinking it may be the mb.. i talked to the owner of the pc to see if maybe it was hit with a surge or something. he said he didnt think so

BobbyY3

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
it is an star empery pt080v i would like to have genral info on useing one. i mean are all the codes it shows things that are bad or things that maybe bad is there any priority to them...
still looking for info on the problem with this pc im working on tooo.

BobbyY3

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
the last code it shows says enable gate a20 line any idea what that means
i think we are just going to get another mb then go from there.