Sign in with
Your question

Really BIG question = WHY Upgrade?????

Last response: in Systems
October 20, 2006 4:55:50 PM

My Pc is a year old, I took great time and care building it from scratch with the best components money could buy at the time $2700.00. NOW a year later I am having some motherboard issues. In doing my research an upgrade now would run me about $1700.00 (latest MB, dual core cpu, Memory and 2video cards) My current system runs anything, any game on the market flawlessly and is WAY overkill for office type apps. (sadly the M.B. is no longer available)My friend helping me brought over his 399.00 Xbox which we hooked up to my monitor and it was incredible and the graphics as good if not better then my ONE year old machine (yes even with my nvidia 6800 ultra supreme graphic card, 2gig ram & extreme p4) THE BIG QUESTION = Why would anybody sink big bucks into an upgrade to play games when a 399.00 xbox is just as good????? I have seen the light!!!

More about : big question upgrade

a c 90 B Homebuilt system
October 20, 2006 5:14:39 PM

Maybe because the XBox doesnt support the games and programs we use?
Ever try to file, edit and burn to DVD your digital photos with the XBox?
Or go flying for a bit of recreation with MS FSX?

October 20, 2006 5:31:50 PM

I Kind of thought the same thing.. went and bought a 360.. about a month later sold it on craigslist.. Just cant match the PC.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 20, 2006 5:36:21 PM

I could never use just a console, as I do more on my computer then just play games. I don't know if you can or not, but my .mp3 collection would probably fill the hard drive of the 360. It lacks VIVO abilities, which is what I'm playing with now. I would not be able to type any documents, can the xbox surf the internet?

If all you want to do is play video games, then a console is perfect for you. But I would grow tired quickly of the side things a console could do, as they are very limited. I would also argue that a P4EE isn't a "best components money could buy", as Athlons provide better FPS in video games.
October 20, 2006 5:50:32 PM

For one, if you are talking about the xbox 360, it is better then YOUR PC. Frankly your PC is way outdated. A P4 was never a good CPU and the 6800 Ultra is almost what the original XBOX had if I'm not mistaken.
a b B Homebuilt system
October 20, 2006 6:16:11 PM

First, I'm not the guy you think I am. Second, while I agree (limited agreement) with what you said, his pc isn't that outdated. A new video card, and he'd be good to go for quite awhile. Third, the original Xbox had a GF3, no where near a 6800ultra.
October 20, 2006 6:16:26 PM

Quote:
... and the 6800 Ultra is almost what the original XBOX had if I'm not mistaken.

No, the GPU in the original XBox is more like a tweaked GeForce 3.
October 20, 2006 6:31:30 PM

Quote:
THE BIG QUESTION = Why would anybody sink big bucks into an upgrade to play games when a 399.00 xbox is just as good????? I have seen the light!!!

That depends the type of game. I like to play some FPS, RPGs and strategy games. The first two are games that will come out for any console. Strategy games however.......

Lots of games have mod communities the creates plug-ins or mods that can add new items or quests. More ambitious mods are total conversions that builds a new game on top of the original engine.

Morrowind comes into mind. There's lots of user created contents and a few TC in the works. I think one of them is supposed to recreate the feel of Fallout.

Another game is KOTOR (Knights of the Old Republic) 2: The Sith Lords, a game that LucasArts rushed out the door without giving Obsidian enough time to complete the game. There is a team that is currently working on restoring the cutout content for KOTOR 2:

http://www.team-gizka.org/

You can't get stuff like that for the XBox.

On the otherhand, you don't need to worry about future upgrades since all games developed for the XBox 360 can be played on the Xbox 360. That is until MS comes out with the next generation Xbox. Who knows, it might be called XBox: Revolution.
October 20, 2006 6:31:36 PM

Quote:
My Pc is a year old, I took great time and care building it from scratch with the best components money could buy at the time $2700.00. NOW a year later I am having some motherboard issues. In doing my research an upgrade now would run me about $1700.00 (latest MB, dual core cpu, Memory and 2video cards) My current system runs anything, any game on the market flawlessly and is WAY overkill for office type apps. (sadly the M.B. is no longer available)My friend helping me brought over his 399.00 Xbox which we hooked up to my monitor and it was incredible and the graphics as good if not better then my ONE year old machine (yes even with my nvidia 6800 ultra supreme graphic card, 2gig ram & extreme p4) THE BIG QUESTION = Why would anybody sink big bucks into an upgrade to play games when a 399.00 xbox is just as good????? I have seen the light!!!

The the ones making this turn into a PC vs. Console Discussion, you could stop. After all, he is talking about upgrading his already near top PC with 2 Gigs of Ram, Geforce 6800 Ultra, P4 extreme edition to a system that would eventually cost him 1700 bucks and contain the latest stuff. Yes it's true, If you get the latest PC hardware you could equal or close to what a 360 can do, wait half a year for the next Gen direct X 10 graphic cards and it most likely will surpass the BOX but is all that worth 1700 bucks?? I Say NO, if you were upgrading from a P3 or early P4 (Athlon XP), you had 512 MB Ram, Geforce 2, 3, 4 or ATI 8500-9700 then that leap would be a good one. But a leap to the newest stuff now would be totatly negligible in all applications except gaming and MAYBE 1080P High Definition video. and Even in Gaming, your talking about maybe not being able to fully Max out, but would still look extraordinarily good (maybe not be able to run your 23 inch or higher LCD display for gaming at 1920 x 1200 but that is IF you even have one of these. What's even worse is the fact that in 1-2 years, PC hardcore people often want to upgrade yet again when the Next Gen AMD or Intel comes out, and Direct X11 or upgraded Direct X 10 graphic comes out that is twice as fast as whats around now. But is $1700 or so worth every 2 years when you can stay put and simply get a 399, 599 (with blu ray) or 250$ Box, PS3, or Wii better worth it.

You guys mention these consoles can't do everything a PC can, or play the games you want to play, but he is Not asking to chose one or the other, he could still play all these games probably with relatively great settings for another 2 years while also having a great next gen console. And in the end, if he waits 2 years, which would be MY recomendation, that upgrade will appear greater and more visible than one now.

Vista is coming out soon, but with 2 Gigs of Ram, and what he has now, He is More than capable of running vista with all the bells and wistles (actually if the reports are true about all the bells requiring direct X 10, then a wait for the next gen graphic card would be my recommendation vs. upgrading his whole PC for a load of cash now.
October 20, 2006 6:38:56 PM

Quote:
My Pc is a year old, I took great time and care building it from scratch with the best components money could buy at the time $2700.00. NOW a year later I am having some motherboard issues. In doing my research an upgrade now would run me about $1700.00 (latest MB, dual core cpu, Memory and 2video cards)

You do realize that it's possible to have a decent gaming system without spending several hundred every year, right?
If you feel you have to always have the latest and greatest then pc gaming can be outrageously expensive (like around $1700 or more). If you plan out your upgrades more carefully and can settle for a more mid-range system, the experience can be still be very worthwhile without killing your budget.
BTW, your system, while a little old, is still decent and should be better than any console.
October 20, 2006 6:50:26 PM

:D  Thanks for all of your info and options. I think at this time my best option would be to simply replace the current motherboard in my PC and buy an Xbox 360. $600.00 is more than HALF of upgrading my PC to the latest and greatest to only last 6 months. ps (intel is coming out with quad core and 2 new chip sets in the next 6 months. Also my current pc (with new/used working 875p motherboard) will STILL be able to handle most any game for the next year easily...In the mean time I will put away the other half in savings for next year. Well maybe buy a couple Xbox game titles - hahaha. Hey same price as a pc game
October 20, 2006 7:30:53 PM

Other then the processor that I got last month this is what I built one year ago this month. If you had done the same thing a year ago you wouldn’t be asking the question you’re asking.
MP Asus P5nd2 – SLI - UAYZ $103.95
Pentium D 840 3.2GHz / 2MB Cache / 800 FBS 129.99
Corsair Value Select 2GB 240-Pin DDR 2 533 141.05
Sky Hawk/Eagle Tech ATX-GM570PC 570W Power Supply 58.99
Maxtor DiamondMax 10 200GB 7200 RPM Drive 84.00
LITE-ON IDE DVD-CD Burner 43.00
TEAC Floppy 14.00
Thermaltake Super Tower Case Armor VA8000BWS 129.00
XFX SP- PCC5 - G PCI SATA 5-Port RAID Storage Processor 229.99
With 4 Hitachi 160GB 8MB Cache 7200 RPM S-ATA Drives 306.00
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Heatsink with Fan 30.99
Two EVGA e - GeForce 7800 GT 256MB DDR-3 Cards 623.00
12 Foot DVI Cable 93.99
Shipping 112.00
Windows Home Edition with SP2 91.95
Gyration Ultra Cordless RF Mouse and Keyboard, I Had ________
$2192.00
Acer 24” AL2416WD TFT LCD Got last month. 639.46 _________
$2831.36
October 20, 2006 8:15:55 PM

If you purchased your computer a year ago and you bought the 6800 (ultra, supreme, extreme, whatever) it was already a generation behind, the 7800 GTX was launched I believe in the summer of '05.
!