DWL-2100AP question

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 17, 2005 4:42:03 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hi
I just bought this D-Link DWL-2100AP....
the manual says it can run any of 5 modes. I am interested in 2 of them.
either a point-to-point bridge, or a repeater.
my other access point is a netgear. I am having trouble running it in
any of those two modes. does anyone know if i need to have another
D-Link on the other side, instead of the a netgear?

thanks
hilz

More about : dwl 2100ap question

Anonymous
September 17, 2005 8:48:09 AM

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:42:03 -0400, hilz <now@y.com> wrote:

>I just bought this D-Link DWL-2100AP....
>the manual says it can run any of 5 modes. I am interested in 2 of them.
>either a point-to-point bridge, or a repeater.

You're going to have problems with both of these modes.

>my other access point is a netgear.

What model number?

>I am having trouble running it in
>any of those two modes. does anyone know if i need to have another
>D-Link on the other side, instead of the a netgear?

Probably won't work. The problem with bridge mode is that it usually
requires an identical wireless bridge on the other end. That's
because the bridging protocols are largely proprietary and require the
same chipset on both ends to work.

Same problem with the repeater. The DWL-2100 supports WDS (wireless
distribution system) store and forward repeater mode. For a list of
supported devices, see:
http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1972

# 831.336.2558 voice Skype: JeffLiebermann
# http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
# http://802.11junk.com
# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
# jeffl@cruzio.com
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 4:34:27 PM

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 00:42:03 -0400, hilz <now@y.com> wrote:
>

>>I just bought this D-Link DWL-2100AP....
>>the manual says it can run any of 5 modes. I am interested in 2 of them.
>>either a point-to-point bridge, or a repeater.
>

> You're going to have problems with both of these modes.
>

>>my other access point is a netgear.
>

> What model number?
>

>>I am having trouble running it in
>>any of those two modes. does anyone know if i need to have another
>>D-Link on the other side, instead of the a netgear?
>

> Probably won't work. The problem with bridge mode is that it usually
> requires an identical wireless bridge on the other end. That's
> because the bridging protocols are largely proprietary and require the
> same chipset on both ends to work.
>
> Same problem with the repeater. The DWL-2100 supports WDS (wireless
> distribution system) store and forward repeater mode. For a list of
> supported devices, see:
> http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.asp?prod_id=1972

Thanks for the answer, Jeff.

The other router is Netgear MR-814

I got the D-Link DWL-210AP to work in a third mode "client AP", which is
fine.... but it seems it does not support VPN.
Am i out of luck connecting to my work network using this D-Link AP? or
is there anything i can do to make it work? I have the latest firmware 2.0.

thanks
hilz
September 17, 2005 4:34:28 PM

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 12:34:27 -0400, hilz <now@y.com> wrote:

>The other router is Netgear MR-814
>
>I got the D-Link DWL-210AP to work in a third mode "client AP", which is
> fine.... but it seems it does not support VPN.

What type of VPN support were you expecting? Terminating a VPN? What
type of VPN? IPSec, PPTP, etc?

VPN passthru is not an issue because there's no router in the
DWL-2100AP. Access points and client radios are briges, not routers.
They know NOTHING about IP addresses, VPN's, and layer 3 services.
They're nothing more than encapsulation of ethernet packets. Every
service, on every IP port number, should work though a bridge. Check
your setup (and assumptions).

>Am i out of luck connecting to my work network using this D-Link AP?

No luck required, but it is helpful. I'm not sure a rabbits foot or
karma recharge will help with wireless networking.

>or
>is there anything i can do to make it work? I have the latest firmware 2.0.

How should I know? If you would kindly disclose what you are trying
to accomplish, and what you have to work with (hardware, software,
models, versions), perhaps we can be of some help. Pretend I don't
know ANYTHING about your setup, hardware, software, OS, topology,
wiring, application, goals in life, finances, etc.

Hint: If you use the word "it" without having it point to a specific
item that you previously detailed, then I have to dig out my crystal
ball and summon the spirits. Lately, the spirits have been rather
uncooperative and my ability to guess what the hell you're trying to
accomplish is rather limited.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 1:49:18 AM

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 12:34:27 -0400, hilz <now@y.com> wrote:
>

>>The other router is Netgear MR-814
>>
>>I got the D-Link DWL-210AP to work in a third mode "client AP", which is
>> fine.... but it seems it does not support VPN.
>

> What type of VPN support were you expecting? Terminating a VPN? What
> type of VPN? IPSec, PPTP, etc?
>
> VPN passthru is not an issue because there's no router in the
> DWL-2100AP. Access points and client radios are briges, not routers.
> They know NOTHING about IP addresses, VPN's, and layer 3 services.
> They're nothing more than encapsulation of ethernet packets. Every
> service, on every IP port number, should work though a bridge. Check
> your setup (and assumptions).
>

>>Am i out of luck connecting to my work network using this D-Link AP?
>

> No luck required, but it is helpful. I'm not sure a rabbits foot or
> karma recharge will help with wireless networking.
>

>>or
>>is there anything i can do to make it work? I have the latest firmware 2.0.
>

> How should I know? If you would kindly disclose what you are trying
> to accomplish, and what you have to work with (hardware, software,
> models, versions), perhaps we can be of some help. Pretend I don't
> know ANYTHING about your setup, hardware, software, OS, topology,
> wiring, application, goals in life, finances, etc.
>
> Hint: If you use the word "it" without having it point to a specific
> item that you previously detailed, then I have to dig out my crystal
> ball and summon the spirits. Lately, the spirits have been rather
> uncooperative and my ability to guess what the hell you're trying to
> accomplish is rather limited.

Jeff:
Than you for your help. You've been of great help. Even though i have
not provided enough information for you to give me a complete answer,
but your suggestions/explanations helped a lot.

I got everything working now, including the VPN.

If you or anyone else is interested in knowing the whole
situation...here is the details of what i did. I am only sharing this
because it might be of benefit to someone who is running into the same
situation.

What i am trying to do is to have internet connection at two disjoint
locations using one dsl line. The way i acheived this is by doing the
following: i connected the dsl modem to a Netgear MR-814 router at the
first location. At the second location, i placed the D-Link DWL-2100AP
running in "client AP" mode, and connected it (wire connection) to a
Netgear WGR614 router.

This setup allowed me to have two wirless networks (one at each
location) provided by the Netgear routers. The D-Link acted as an AP for
the second network. VPN worked at both locations because the two netgear
routers support VPN (I honestly don't know what type of VPN it is!)

Thank you for all the help.
hilz
!