I'm unable to open an XLS file. I get a message that says the file does not
have a program associated with it and one needs to be created in the Control
Panel folders. I've gone to the Control Panel >Folder Options >File
Types>New> and created and XLS file extension but I'm still getting the same
message. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

AMD AthlonXP 1700+
120G
512MB

All files need the application with which their file extension is associated
in order to be opened. Regardless of file extensions you add to the list of
extensions, the operating system has no means of opening files natively.

That said, XLS files are Excel files. If you do not have Excel installed,
you can download a free viewer for purposes of viewing the file but note, if
you wish to make any changes to the file, that would require having
Microsoft Excel installed on your system:
http://www.microsoft.com/office/000/viewers.asp

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Lisa" <No@Spamallowed.com> wrote in message
> I'm unable to open an XLS file. I get a message that says the file does
> not have a program associated with it and one needs to be created in the
> Control Panel folders. I've gone to the Control Panel >Folder Options
> >File Types>New> and created and XLS file extension but I'm still getting
> the same message. Can anyone help me? Thanks!
>
> AMD AthlonXP 1700+
> 120G
> 512MB

Thank you for the link and the explanation, Michael!

> All files need the application with which their file extension is
> associated in order to be opened. Regardless of file extensions you add
> to the list of extensions, the operating system has no means of opening
> files natively.
>
> That said, XLS files are Excel files. If you do not have Excel installed,
> you can download a free viewer for purposes of viewing the file but note,
> if you wish to make any changes to the file, that would require having
> Microsoft Excel installed on your system:
> http://www.microsoft.com/office/000/viewers.asp
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>
> "Lisa" <No@Spamallowed.com> wrote in message
>> I'm unable to open an XLS file. I get a message that says the file does
>> not have a program associated with it and one needs to be created in the
>> Control Panel folders. I've gone to the Control Panel >Folder Options
>> >File Types>New> and created and XLS file extension but I'm still getting
>> the same message. Can anyone help me? Thanks!
>>
>> AMD AthlonXP 1700+
>> 120G
>> 512MB

You're welcome, Lisa.