Sign in with
Your question

Which CPU heatsink better??

Last response: in Overclocking
October 20, 2006 5:30:55 PM

This is my 1st post becuase Ive searched all over the forum and none met..

Im searching for a good cpu cooler at the same time cools my pwm+NB+ram..

this is my setup:
C2D 6400 @ 3.2GHz 1.35v stock cooler, load 60C CPU 78C both core(Everest)
OCZ Platinum DDR-800 2x1Gb
Gigabyte 965P-DS4 Silent-Pipe
7600GT
X-Fi Platnm
Maxtor 300GB SATAII

I am looking for a cooler that can cool down my cpu,chipset,pwm and ram so my oc doesnt heat too much...Which one should i choose that will give a better performances??

ZALMAN CNPS9500/9700
THERMALRIGHT SI-128
ARCTIC FREEZER 7 PRO

if you have some links that has reviews on these coolers,post it...and please no scythe infinity/ninja/mine cos its huge and heavy and looks ugly... :D 

More about : cpu heatsink

October 20, 2006 6:27:54 PM

Avoid the Zalman 9500 as it does not meet your requirements and is overpriced for it's performance. The vote is still out on the 9700, but still it doesn't meet your cooling requirements of cooling the motherboard components.

Out of those you listed, the SI-128 will give you the best motherboard coverage. You could also consider the Thermaltake Big Typhoon as it meets yours needs and is less expensive than the SI-128. Both are excellent coolers. Reviews are easily attainable through Google.

The Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (and it's 64 variant) do have curved vents to help cool the VRM on motherboards, but it will not provide direct airflow to the chipset or RAM. The Cooler Master Hyper TX is another good tower that directs airflow to the motherboard components, but it is very tall and might be....ugly to you. It's also a bit hard to find right now.
October 20, 2006 7:02:13 PM

Quote:
if you have some links that has reviews on these coolers,post it...and please no scythe infinity/ninja/mine cos its huge and heavy and looks ugly... :D 

:lol:  . o O (I just have ta!!)

Ahhhh... isn't it pretty!!
Related resources
October 20, 2006 7:51:24 PM

You should look up Thermalright Ultra-120. Read some reviews for it like in Frostytech.com, which especializes in cooling reviews and relative stuff. As far as I know the one of best heatsink fan coolers are Ninja, Big Typhoon, Ultra-120 and few others. Sure it looks huge and ugly but it would sure beat down the pretty ones when it comes to performance. But if you go for form rather than function then go with the pretty looking CNPS9700 LED, is newer, bigger and better than it's little sister CNPS9500.

But from the looks of your cpu temps, 60c and 78c is not a good number. I don't know if your place is hot or you case don't have a good ventilation but you really need to consider the huge and ugly high performance HSFs if you want the best results for air cooling.

If you're cpu overheat to 70c just open the case and dump a bucket full of cold getorade, it will cool it down big time. :p  joke
October 20, 2006 8:01:30 PM

You didn't say no Tuniq Tower, and thats what I vote for =P

Don't get the Zalman, way overpriced for what it does. I would recommend the Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 pro out of those 3. It's a nice easy install, offers great performance at a great price. Otherwise I would move up to a Scythe Infinity.
October 20, 2006 8:01:58 PM

Umm...Chuck I think you need to re-read the original post.
October 20, 2006 8:24:04 PM

lol poor Chuck.

In fact, screw the whole "air" and "water" cooling. Just go veggie oil cooling. And when your hungry, drop some fries in there and presto... combo computer/fryer.
October 20, 2006 8:43:30 PM

Quote:
You should look up Thermalright Ultra-120.
[...]

That cooler is a bad mother****er and is arguably the best "blow-through" cooler when equipped with a nice 120mm Panaflo fan. I should know as I have one and it made an E6300 overclock quite nicely faster than an E6800 Extreme and Prime stable (24 hours) while keeping the load temps very low.

But I recommend a good "blow-down" cooler like a Thermaltake Big Typhoon or if you want the best, get this:

Thermalright SI-128 with a nice Panaflo 120mm fan.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.asp?Image=35%2D...

http://www.heatsinkfactory.com/ThermalRight-SI-128-p-16...

It is huge but will fit just fine. Look at those super fat heat pipes and the huge, thick fin section. Get a nice panaflo 120mm fan and you are in business!

With that setup, you will not only cool the CPU big time, but your peripherals like the Northbridge, Southbridge, memory modules, and VRM's will all be chilly too.

I have two of those systems each with E6600 3.11GHz and Intel Bad Axe system boards and it is not only fast, but super primo stable. Rock solid.

The Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 is a perfect board that will benefit from a good "blow-down" cooler. It is designed to "use" that air being blown down over the components with some nice passive heat pipe chipset coolers.

Grip it and rip it!
October 20, 2006 9:02:39 PM

I have the Artic Freezer 7 Pro and it does a great job. It's extremely quite and keeps my e6600 cool and was very easy to install. Really the best idea would be to get some much smaller fans to pass some air over the parts you want cooled. I tried a huge powerfull fan just to cool all the components but it was way too loud and my case sounded like a jet taking off.
October 20, 2006 9:08:52 PM

Well if I have to pick on the OPs selection, then I would pick the Artic Freezer 7 Pro. There, happy!? :p 
October 20, 2006 9:28:06 PM

Quote:
I have the Artic Freezer 7 Pro and it does a great job. It's extremely quite and keeps my e6600 cool and was very easy to install. Really the best idea would be to get some much smaller fans to pass some air over the parts you want cooled. I tried a huge powerfull fan just to cool all the components but it was way too loud and my case sounded like a jet taking off.

I disagree fairly strongly in this case with what you said. You need to get the right fan. A well made (Panaflo, or Scythe S-Flex with fluid dynamic bearings) 120mm fan is not loud but will move a lot of air.

Now... couple that with the mobo he's got. Look at the picture:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/ViewImage.aspx?Prod...

This board is spring-loaded to get the most from a good "blow-down" cooler like the Thermalright SI-128. The structure of the passive heat pipe chipset coolers on the board are perfect for this setup.

Your suggestion to get a smaller fan(s) to pass air over the passive heat pipe section is problematic and likely cheesy. Where would you mount the smaller fan(s) you speak of? Why would you want to do that when you can get it all with a good simple, solid "blow-down" setup?

By the time you get done with your suggestion, you've spent more in time and money on the Rube Goldberg fan setup and got less performance. And your system board looks hap-hazard, as well.

I've seen the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro and it is a reasonable "blow-thru" cooler although not as powerful as a Thermalright Ultra-120 with a quality fan, will do a good job of cooling the CPU, but lacks good peripheral cooling of the type you will get with a good "blow-down" cooler. That board is made for that type of setup.
October 20, 2006 9:56:02 PM

I can agree with you, but only partially.

Keep in mind that the Arctic Cooling Freezer series are one of the few tower style coolers that do at least implement a method of cooling the motherboard's VRM. There's a few others (I've already mentioned one earlier) but most towers don't provide any cooling to the motherboard.

Also keep in mind that the Arctic Cooling Freezer series performs just as good as the Zalman 9500 but at nearly half the cost and it is quieter than the 9500.
October 20, 2006 10:07:35 PM

Quote:
But from the looks of your cpu temps, 60c and 78c is not a good number. I don't know if your place is hot or you case don't have a good ventilation but you really need to consider the huge and ugly high performance HSFs if you want the best results for air cooling.

If you're cpu overheat to 70c just open the case and dump a bucket full of cold getorade, it will cool it down big time. :p  joke

60c is my cpu heatspreader temp and 78c is the cores temp both fully loaded and reported by Everest...idles around 45c-cpu 57c-cores...case is CM centurion with open side panel and room temp is quite cool as autumn will come soon... 8)

and forgot to add,i hate those coolers that have us to remove mobo to install them...will look to Anoobis and ElBurro suggestion...hope there will be no incompatibity with my mobo...although i like the unbeatable performance of Ultra 120,it wont good enough to cools down mobo peripheral..for now consider the SI-128...

thanks everybody for some great advices...

ps: really fall in love with this ds4 mobo...cant take away my eyes from its sexiest silentpipe design.. :D  :wink:
October 20, 2006 10:26:17 PM

Then the SI-128 is your best bet. There's no motherboard removal required like there would be with the Thermaltake Big Typhoon. However, you'll need to pair it with a good fan whereas the Big Typhoon already comes with one and for less money.
October 20, 2006 10:43:22 PM

Quote:

I disagree fairly strongly in this case with what you said. You need to get the right fan. A well made (Panaflo, or Scythe S-Flex with fluid dynamic bearings) 120mm fan is not loud but will move a lot of air.

This board is spring-loaded to get the most from a good "blow-down" cooler like the Thermalright SI-128. The structure of the passive heat pipe chipset coolers on the board are perfect for this setup.

While I agree that big does not always equal loud, to get enough cfm out of a fan in a blowdown design it's going to take a pretty powerfull fan to cool all he wants to cool with just that fan, plus the air you're using has already passed through the cpu cooler which in my opinion is not very efficient. You also run into obstacles of large video cards or cables that can block air flow to those components.

Quote:
Your suggestion to get a smaller fan(s) to pass air over the passive heat pipe section is problematic and likely cheesy. Where would you mount the smaller fan(s) you speak of? Why would you want to do that when you can get it all with a good simple, solid "blow-down" setup?

By the time you get done with your suggestion, you've spent more in time and money on the Rube Goldberg fan setup and got less performance. And your system board looks hap-hazard, as well.

Since when are 30mm or 40mm fans expensive? They're also small enough to not look cheesy as it wouldn't be larger than the heatsink. I would mount one directly on top (top while case is sitting up, so side if the board is laying horizontally) of the heatsink that attaches to the northbridge. Directly cooling that portion with any leftover heat moving throughout the rest of the passive heat pipe. You'd spend maybe $10 for everything, possible a small amount more for shipping.
October 21, 2006 12:02:20 AM

Quote:
This cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...
will blow down over your heatsinks

does it have any clearance problem with DS4 mobo chipset+hs??? Id though about this cooler+LED fan vers too but still not better than si-128...plus its fan irreplaceable...minus one point :lol:  ...oh forgot,mobo has to be taken out for install...minus another point...
October 21, 2006 12:53:07 AM

Yes In some situations the Zalman 7000/7700 are still some of the best heatsinks, but this is not one of them. Its a major pain to install, super heavy, and the fan is quite but there is quieter 120mm fans on the market. The Zalmans are still some of the best lowish profile heatsinks for use in say a HTPC enclosure tho.

I own a Zalman 7700cu that I bought because both the Thermalright SI 120 and Scythe Ninja were unfortunately off the market at the time. But the Thermalright with a Panaflo(FBA12G12L1A) 120x38mm fan @1,000 rpm is better then the Zalman 7700cu @1,000 Rpm in fact the the XP 120 (SI 120 is the new version) is still possibly the best heatsink on the market for low noise vs great cooling.

Buy the SI 120 with a good fan and heck buy a nice cool looking fan grill for it and enjoy 8)
October 21, 2006 6:43:35 AM

Quote:

While I agree that big does not always equal loud, to get enough cfm out of a fan in a blowdown design it's going to take a pretty powerfull fan to cool all he wants to cool with just that fan, plus the air you're using has already passed through the cpu cooler which in my opinion is not very efficient. You also run into obstacles of large video cards or cables that can block air flow to those components.

Quote:

Since when are 30mm or 40mm fans expensive? They're also small enough to not look cheesy as it wouldn't be larger than the heatsink. I would mount one directly on top (top while case is sitting up, so side if the board is laying horizontally) of the heatsink that attaches to the northbridge. Directly cooling that portion with any leftover heat moving throughout the rest of the passive heat pipe. You'd spend maybe $10 for everything, possible a small amount more for shipping.

Just take a look at the freakin' board. Did you look at it? Just look at it and you'll see that with the passive heat pipe design and voltage regulation modules (VRMs) it is perfect for blow down cooling from the large SI-128.

All the VRMs are cooled along with the chipset heat pipe passive cooling section as well as the memory dimms.

Other boards that have deeply extruded passive heatsinks in close to the CPU are also excellent candidates (like the Intel Bad Axe).

What are you going to do? Pepper the system board with tiny fans that are either to weak or too loud (shrill). Are you going to braid the small fan cables together in a kind of bird's nest motif? Gee, I can't wait (NOT) to see your custom mounting scheme. Will you include a can of Cheese Whiz with the install?

Are you going to use zip ties and dental floss to tie them to different parts of the passive sinks? How will you do the VRMs and the memory dimms? Gee... do you think maybe the crazy placement of small fans will interfere with other parts? How small are they? How cheap are they? How many of these 6cfm wimps will it take to generate the kind of flow you are getting from an ~80CFM 120mm fan?. A single 120mm fan. A single 120mm fan that does the job perfectly.

So if you get four wimpy 6cfm fans at 4.95 each and probably 8.95 shipping (if you go to Newegg), how much is that extra? How much for the labor? How much for the Tylenol you'll need when you get done slapping yourself for stinking up what could have been a clean one fan solution?

Small fans CAN'T by their nature generate the kind of air flow that a large 120mm fan will generate, and the larger fan WILL by its nature be much quieter. Gigabyte put that passive section there to take advantage of blow-down cooling. If you want to disregard their almost perfect placement of the passive fin section and VRMs to take advantage of that type of cooling then I can only wonder why?

Have you looked at the board?

October 21, 2006 5:10:57 PM

wow, chill out man, heaven forbid someone else post a different way of thinking about this than your own...
October 21, 2006 6:58:08 PM

Quote:
wow, chill out man, heaven forbid someone else post a different way of thinking about this than your own...

You appear confused and somewhat rattled. I'd like to gently point out that many did post a different way of thinking from mine here in this thread.

Did you read the thread?
October 21, 2006 8:44:45 PM

Quote:
This cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...
will blow down over your heatsinks

does it have any clearance problem with DS4 mobo chipset+hs??? Id though about this cooler+LED fan vers too but still not better than si-128...plus its fan irreplaceable...minus one point :lol:  ...oh forgot,mobo has to be taken out for install...minus another point...

I've replaced my Zalman 7700 CU fan with a SilverStone 120mm FM121 fan. So it's not exactly irreplaceable.

But very hard to say if a 7700 or 7000 would fit on that MB, properly.
!