overclocked C2D mobo Asus Or Gigabyte

redline42

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
after reading some indepth reviews from THG i started to have second thoughts on purchasing gigabyte motherboards mostly the

DS3 or the S3 because of the spotty answers on what the differences are between the two and the fact most people are guessing they wont last that long because of the new capacitors...

well my question is should i got with a tried and true asus overclocking mobo or a new design in gigabyte

i know both have been around a long time iv always used ASUS since the p4s

i also am looking for a single VGA solution so im basically looking for a cheaper board capable of overclocking my E6400 to 3.0ghz or higher...

i have corsair xms2 800 at 5-5-5-15 i want to OC this as well...

what do you folks think? what are some board suggestions?

thanks in advance

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I've owned both and am currently running the S3 on a 6300. So far I've hit 2.9 ghz no problem. I have OCZ Platinum 6400 RAM.

Which model ASUS were you looking at? Some are far better at OC'ing, some are crap for it. The DS3/S3 are proven OC'ers though.

Depends how much money you wanna spend. If you wanna do it on the cheap, you can't go wrong with an S3. Blowing components? Maybe if you're running it at 3.5 ghz with temps on the cusp @ 24/7. Mainstream OC should be fine.

I don't have "hard facts", sorry, just my experience. Both are great, but I just didn't have the money to drop on an ASUS Deluxe. Woulda cost me $100, and a poor bang-for-the-buck in my opinion. The S3 will hit 3 ghz no problem, so I didn't see the point in spend $100 extra.....I got a new 300 gig hard drive instead ;)