How to connect wireless router to wireless router?

Archived from groups: (More info?)

I have been trying to find information on connecting a wireless router to
another wireless router.
Seems simple enough but the information I have seen refers to settings that
don't exist in the cofiguration pages of the equipment I have.

My question is , how do you connect a wireless router A to another wireless
router B so that they both can connect to the LAN and Internet?

I have one computer with a WIRED ETHERNET card. I have a cable connecting
the PC to a port on the DLINK 514 Wireless router.

On PC #2 I have a similar setup. The PC is plugged into a port on a LINKSYS
WRT54G wireless router. The Linksys has DHCP turned on, and is connected
to the Internet via a Linksys Cable modem.

Why can't the DLink see the Linksys router? The DLINK should be acting as
a Wireless Access Point shouldn't it? Both Routers have the same SSID and
use different channels, but neither can see the other.

Thanks for any help.

Othello
2 answers Last reply
More about connect wireless router wireless router
  1. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:54:06 -0500, Othello
    <omoor99@REMOVETHISTEXTyahoo.com> wrote:

    >I have been trying to find information on connecting a wireless router to
    >another wireless router.
    >
    >Seems simple enough but the information I have seen refers to settings that
    >don't exist in the cofiguration pages of the equipment I have.

    This is kinda complex and I'm in a rush so you get the fast answer.

    You can't do that with what you have. Wireless routers and access
    points are normally made to talk to wireless clients, not other
    routers or access points. The DLink DI-514 is a very simple wireless
    router and can only act as a wireless router. Same with your WRT54G
    using the stock firmware.

    However, the WRT54G can use replacement firmware such as Sveasoft
    Alchemy. This adds additional features including WDS and client mode.
    If you configure the WRT54G to client mode, it will see and connect to
    the DI-514 and do roughly what you want. It can also bridge more than
    one MAC address allowing you to plug in more than one computah into
    the WRT54G.

    I'm too lazy to explain WDS but it's a similar option. The catch is
    that you will need to replace your DI-514 with another WRT54G to use
    WDS. See:
    | http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article78-page1.php (10 pages)
    | http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=7
    for descriptions.

    >My question is , how do you connect a wireless router A to another wireless
    >router B so that they both can connect to the LAN and Internet?
    >
    >I have one computer with a WIRED ETHERNET card. I have a cable connecting
    >the PC to a port on the DLINK 514 Wireless router.
    >
    >On PC #2 I have a similar setup. The PC is plugged into a port on a LINKSYS
    >WRT54G wireless router. The Linksys has DHCP turned on, and is connected
    >to the Internet via a Linksys Cable modem.
    >
    >Why can't the DLink see the Linksys router? The DLINK should be acting as
    >a Wireless Access Point shouldn't it? Both Routers have the same SSID and
    >use different channels, but neither can see the other.
    >
    >Thanks for any help.
    >
    >Othello

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
  2. Archived from groups: (More info?)

    On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:54:06 -0500, Othello
    <omoor99@REMOVETHISTEXTyahoo.com> wrote:

    >I have been trying to find information on connecting a wireless router to
    >another wireless router.
    >Seems simple enough but the information I have seen refers to settings that
    >don't exist in the cofiguration pages of the equipment I have.
    >
    >My question is , how do you connect a wireless router A to another wireless
    >router B so that they both can connect to the LAN and Internet?
    >
    >I have one computer with a WIRED ETHERNET card. I have a cable connecting
    >the PC to a port on the DLINK 514 Wireless router.
    >
    >On PC #2 I have a similar setup. The PC is plugged into a port on a LINKSYS
    >WRT54G wireless router. The Linksys has DHCP turned on, and is connected
    >to the Internet via a Linksys Cable modem.
    >
    >Why can't the DLink see the Linksys router? The DLINK should be acting as
    >a Wireless Access Point shouldn't it? Both Routers have the same SSID and
    >use different channels, but neither can see the other.
    >
    >Thanks for any help.
    >
    >Othello

    You will probably need to replace the DLINK 514 Wireless router
    with a wireless router that can also operate as a bridge, or
    replace it with a wireless bridge. Do a google search for them.

Configuration Wireless Router Connection Wireless Networking