bios updating- do it in bios or in windows?

JBS181818

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I just got the gigabyte ga-965p-ds3. it has a program that lets it update the bios while still in windows. does anyone have any experience with this? Is there any reason do to it through the bios instead of windows? thanks for the help.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Agreed. The whole idea for using a simple, stripped-down boot disk is to create the most stable environment possible. That said... a battery backup would be nice... if the power blinks while you're flashing, odds are you're gonna be in a world of hurt.

On a separate, but semi-related note... I once (many, many years ago) flashed a motherboad with the wrong brand of BIOS... whoops... thankfully there are safeguards in place to prevent that now.

Jizumonkey

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
I used to be one that would have said do it the old way, but i've been updating my bios' now across three different motherboards (Asus, ASRock and of course Gigabyte) in the last 5 years in the new windows based programs and not once had a problem.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Trusting your hardware to windows stability and programs is like dating lorena bobbit do you really trust your unit to that? floppy get the flash utility unless they actualy let you flash it in the bios now wouldnt know never tried it.

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Ok I looked at the gigabyte web site and see what you are doing. Just be careful and follow the instructions that Gigabyte gives you on their web site and make sure you back up the old bios just in case. Good luck.

JimBallz

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I would imagine it wouldn't be that risky because of the multiple BIOS backups on the GA-965P-DQ6 board.

I've gotten that far but I imagine those backup BIOS are there for a reason.

JBS181818

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
well i figured that the software couldn't be that bad or they wouldn't recommend it, so i did the windows bios update yesterday and it worked fine. all updated now.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
lol dont believe it because they say its ok. they made it of course they are going to say its ok. O well since you did it grats. I wonder whats next on the lets make it way to easy to mess up a computer road map :-/

Jizumonkey

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Blimey Enforcer get off the paranoid old school band wagon will ya! To beginners it may make you look 'pro' to suggest that updating your bios in anything other than dos, but we've now proven it's just as safe. You still risk power cuts and corruption by updating using a boot disk, so maybe you should revise your way of thinking?

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
cuz windows is so much more stable then a command line. I dont care what you think of it doesnt really change anything windows is prone to mess up and thats undesputable. I could care less about looking "pro" because i rather use a command line then trust windows to my bios if thats how it makes people look to you. whatever. Its not just as safe how many application faults do you think a command line is going to get apposed to a windows program failure? When it comes to hundreds of dollars of hardware your right i play it safe or in your words paranoid. I dont like to play with my money and hope it all works out.

Minerva

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Hi all

I still prefer the "old school" way as well, but instead of using a floppy (i dont even have a drive anymore) i use a bootable cd. but even so, with dual bios, it shouldn't be a problem if the flash dies... not too sure if the ds3 has dual bios tho...

fpdoc

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
I agree. Got the BIOS update from Gigabyte. Several different options to flash. went into BIOS and went to update there. Took all of 2 minutes to do two updates.