Locked Files?

Hello, I was just wondering if there was a way to lock your files or password
protect them? For example, if I had a collection of word documents in the My
Documents folder, could I password protect them some how? Also, what is the
difference between a folder and a briefcase? I have windows xp home edition.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Hi Jenny,

Passwording individual files is not a built-in capability. You would need a
third party program. You can privatize the "My Documents" folder so that it
is only available to your user profile and the administrator account, but
that's about it. The briefcase is nothing more than another folder with a
few special properties.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Jenny A. wrote:
> Hello, I was just wondering if there was a way to lock your files or
> password protect them? For example, if I had a collection of word
> documents in the My Documents folder, could I password protect them
> some how?

NTFS has the option of encrypting individual files, but I do not think this
is supported in XP Home.

The other option, as already pointed out, is to use third party software.
There are plenty of free solutions, which can solve your problem in multiple
ways. PGP (Pretty Good Privacy) can be used to encrypt and decrypt
individual files. A lot of archiving software (such as WinRAR) also supports
encryption, so you can use these to a similar effect. The drawback of both
of these alternatives is that you need to work with unencrypted copies of
your documents before you encrypt them. Unless you are _very_ careful, these
copies are later possible to salvage from your hard drive.

You are probably better off just using the built-in password functionality
of Word.

> Also, what is the difference between a folder and a
> briefcase?

The briefcase is a folder specially designed for synchronizing, i.e. if you
have multiple copies of the same documents (at home, at work, on a portable
etc) the briefcase can be used to keep all copies in sync. Stick to normal
folders unless you need this functionality.

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 14:07:05 -0800, Jenny A. wrote:

> Hello, I was just wondering if there was a way to lock your files or password
> protect them? For example, if I had a collection of word documents in the My
> Documents folder, could I password protect them some how? Also, what is the
> difference between a folder and a briefcase? I have windows xp home edition.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

May want to check the Help file for Word. It offers some password
protection and will at the very least protect the documents against
unauthorized changes.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User