Bad Power Supply

kelligorman

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Hello,

My computer will turn off all the sudden and the only way to get it back on is to unplug it and plug it back in. I don't know if this is my motherboard or the power supply.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Kelli

kelligorman

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
I don't know what you mean by system. I have Windows 7 and I don't know what you mean by usage. The problem occurs randomly. Yesterday it didn't happen at all but today it happen 3 times in a 15 minute time period.

Your parts. Find "system" in the Control Panel, or use CPU-Z for a better view. The most important are the processor, power supply and motherboard models.
When does it happen relative to how long the computer's been on? Is it always a decent period of time after it's been started up?
Find a temperature monitoring application (Speedfan is usually good) and see what kind of temperatures you have at idle and under load.

kelligorman

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Intel Core 2 Duo Cpu EZ 200@2.53 GHZ. Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd Model G31M-S2L. The power supply is Model ELT500AWT.
Temp 1: -55C Temp 2: -2C Temp 3: 31C HDO: 35C Core 0: 40C this one does go up and Core 1: 36C
Also sometimes it turns off when I first start it and sometimes it turns off after it has been on awhile. Hopefully the information I provided will be some help.

Thanks!

Kelli

GFI outlets are also 110, but are designed to cut-off when they sense a ground fault. Hence the question.

You need to provide details as to what exactly is happening and when. When posters provide sketchy information, then readers move on elsewhere. This is why you are not getting many responses.

Explain in detail what happens and when it happens. Everything happens for a reason, and we (you and we at Tom's) are trying to find out that reason. Once we know that reason, the solution is easy.

The detailed information that you provide is very much part of the solution.