Uninstalling an AMD 939 and Heat Sink

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I'm upgrading the processor in a machine and a few days ago I found a video on the AMD website showing how to remove the old one. I've been trying to find it again for the last couple of days with no luck. Does anyone know where it is on the AMD site? Thanks

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Quite simple. You remove the HSF, lift the metal stick 90 degress, remove the processor, place the new one (without forcing it), place the metal stick back to where it was and reinstall the HSF.
Placing HSF back in place maybe require some strengh but not too much!

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
In the film is showed what you said but also loosening brackets with a scrwdirver but for whatever reason I didn't watch the end of it and just wondered if there was anything else I should know. First time I replaced an AMD prior to this mobo always had Intel

ddemaray

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
You should not have to take off the plastic bracket that is on your motherboard. Just make sure that when you put the new processor in match us the triangles in the corner of the socket and the processor. (they are in the corner) And the processor should just slide right into place, then push the metal arm back into place and re attach the heatsink.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Don't forget to Clean off the thermal pad from the HS and apply some fresh thermal grease to the CPU before mounting the HS back onto the CPU.

This is a new processor and the HS comes with a thermal pad. Is this sufficiient? Thanks to everyone for the help.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I always buy Retail rather than OEM mobo and CPUs given the saving isn't that great. Plus when ever I do upgrades I save the old parts until I have what I need to biuld a machine for one of my grandkids, spoiled littlle buggers. When they're old enough, I have them build it themselves. Thanks again.

Simply unlatch the Heatsink, twist the Heatsink slightly to the left and right to make sure you break any bond created by the thermal compound, so you don't actually pull the processor out at the same time you remove the heatsink. Once the heatsink is gone, then lift the arm on ZIF socket and remove the CPU. There is nothing to "unscrew" or take apart that requires tools of any kind.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Well on the upside I now can quickly uninstall and re-install an AMD processor and HS. On the downside, I just found out my mobo doesn't support dual core. When I got the board I thought all 939 mobo would support dual core. I did get the CPU in and ran it no more than 10 minutes off and on because I wasn't getting any video, which is when I figuraed out the board did not run the dual core. Is it likely I did any damage to the CPU?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I'm sure the CPU is OK. Are you sure that a Bios update won't allow you to run dual core. Most 939 boards will run a dual core with the right bios update.

As far as I know I have the most recent BIOS but I have to check again. The board is a MSI K8MGM2-FID and checking the specs on MSI it doesn't show the X2 as one of the CPUs also the AMD site shows the MSI K8MGM2-NBP as compatable so I'm guessing I'm screwed without a kiss. Can't return the CPU for a refund because of a 7 day return limit, had it 9 days. So I guess I have to drop $80 or so for a new board unless there is a BIOS fix

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Knew it was a cheap board. What I wanted to do when I got it was to upgrade to a dual core, initially bought a AMD 3200, and then in about 1 /1/2 years or so build a new one, probably a dual core Intel once the prices went down and some of the new hardware shook out. Looks like one of the grandkids will be getting a computer for Christmas. Lessoned learned, don't ASSuME. :cry:

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Is it actually this one?

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=702

K8NGM2-FID (K8NGM2 not K8M???>

cause if so it says it will rock an X2

here...

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support_detail.php?UID=702&kind=1

Thanks for pointing out the error, that is the right board. Now the question is, why wasn't I getting any video with the X2 4200 installed but no problem with the 3200? The HS fan was working but there was no signal to the monitor, tried 2 different monitors. There were no beeps at startup and of course with out the monitor I have no idea if it was posting. I'll try to install it again.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
bummer still no go?

yeah maybe cpu is DOA? you did double check for Bios update for new proc right?

Checked the BIOS and it's the current version, 3.5 I believe. Also checked the video settings as well as the manual, yes I actually read the mobo maual :oops: , and there was nothing regarding BIOS changes when using dual core. The 3200 works fine so it almost has to be DOA CPU. Fortunantely, newegg is good turning around replacements.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
Is it actually this one?

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=702

K8NGM2-FID (K8NGM2 not K8M???>

cause if so it says it will rock an X2

here...

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_cpu_support_detail.php?UID=702&kind=1

Thanks for pointing out the error, that is the right board. Now the question is, why wasn't I getting any video with the X2 4200 installed but no problem with the 3200? The HS fan was working but there was no signal to the monitor, tried 2 different monitors. There were no beeps at startup and of course with out the monitor I have no idea if it was posting. I'll try to install it again.

when i put a dual core in my a8n sli delux motherboard after updating to a bios that supported it i had the exact same problem. i replaced my 3500+ single wihta 4800+ dual the fix for my problem was clearing the cmos after that it fired up just fine. Maybe that will work for you who knows.

Edit* I seem to have messed up my posts just fixing it.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
For some reason I never think of clearing the cmos, I have to remeber to do thiis, although in this case it had to be a bad CPU because the new one worked with out clearing the cmos. Am kind of disappointed because the machine will briefly freeze up now and then when rendering/burning video although it doesn't adversely affect the final DVDs. Have 2GB of memory so that shouldn't be causing a bottleneck. Granted it's an inexpensive MSI mobo w onboard video but I didn't think the mobo would make that much difference. Every now and then I get a messge about having to expand the virtual memory but really don't know enough to know what this means or how to fix it.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Actualy the motherboard makes a huge difference in every sense of a computer.

A lot of the reviews I've read recently seem to say that the main difference betweem mobo have more to do with features rather than performance other than how well they overclock.