New speakers for my new computer

cbussell

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
I just got a new computer, complete with an SB X-FI XtremeMusic (might upgrade that card, not sure yet). My current speakers are a 4.1 setup made by Boston, I believe. Looking for something that's 7.1 capable. Price isn't a concern.

I've been looking at the Creative GigaWorks S750, and they're awesome except for the lack of digital input. Are there any other options that offer a similar level of perofrmance?

Thanks in advance.

Siba

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
I just got a new computer, complete with an SB X-FI XtremeMusic (might upgrade that card, not sure yet). My current speakers are a 4.1 setup made by Boston, I believe. Looking for something that's 7.1 capable. Price isn't a concern.

I've been looking at the Creative GigaWorks S750, and they're awesome except for the lack of digital input. Are there any other options that offer a similar level of perofrmance?

Thanks in advance.

No, but if price isn't a concern...there are much better options than a system-in-a-box. I suggest you look into a custom solution, 7 bookshelf speakers and a real subwoofer, and a nice HT reciever + amplifier.

System like that would easily run over $1000, and probably more in the $2000 range depending on how nice of a reciever you wanted (HDMI switching, DTS decoding, more power per channel, etc).

Also, there are supposedly better cards for outputting digital than the Creative cards. The ones you are looking for will have Dolby digital live at the very least, or the new DTS encoding. This will allow you to change your stereo output (from music, games that don't output in dolby 5.1, etc) into a 5.1 or 7.1 source (not entirely sure about the 7.1).

While the entry price might seem a bit steep, after reading some reviews of the Creative alternative I think it'd be worth the extra money, because a quality system would almost certainly last longer than a system-in-a-box solution.

I recommend bookshelf speakers from ascend.

www.ascendacoustics.com

See if there are any in your area to audition.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Hey Siba!

Check this out: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170meas.html

New measurements for the 170SEs! Unlike before, they are "unsmoothed", which makes the FR response even more exceptional. Not to mention the extremely low spectral decay plot. You have to pay Revel prices ($1-2k) for performance this good in a retail product :>

As for cbussell,

If you have a Creative card, they specialize in analog output, so it's not a downer to combine the Gigaworks and the X-Fi. Obviously, the Gigaworks are a great price for surround gaming speakers. If you are a big first person shooter type, it's a great deal. If you are more into music or movies, then Siba's recommendation for bookshelf speakers fits the equation much better, as computer speakers are generally too small to both accurately reproduce music or a create a good stereo image.

astrallite

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2005
Those measurements I posted before were the unsmoothed ones Ascend used to intentionally allow you to see any deviances in the FR, which is exceptional, max deviation from 80-20Khz is 2.5db. In other words, the response in that range is +/- 1.25db. LOL!

These are "standard industry" parameters with the same graph. As you can see, it looks a lot prettier than the previous one. !!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/images/products/speakers/cbm170/170SE_onaxis_third.gif

All this for $350. :O~