Sign in with
Your question

Will these system components work well together?

Last response: in Systems
October 21, 2006 12:06:04 AM

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting on these forums, but I have been reading here for months.
I plan on building a computer soon, but I just wanted to double check if all my components will work together without causing major compatibility issues. I have helped build computers for others, but this is the first time I will be building a computer for myself. I am not a hard-core gamer, but I think my antiquated P4 system is preventing me from becoming one :twisted: ! I do not plan on overclocking the system immediately after assembly, but I do plan on overclocking this system eventually.
My choices for components are the following:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

RAM: Patriot (2 x 1GB) DDR2 667 (PC2 5300), model # PDC22G5300LLK
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...
Will this RAM allow me to overclock my CPU to 3.0 -3.25 GHz with my currently planned setup.

PSU:
OCZ GamerXStream 600W

Case:
Antec P180
Will the included power supply cables be adequately long for this case?

Cooler: Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...

Graphics Card: HIS Radeon X1900XT, 256 MB GDDR3 version
(Note: I was planning on getting sapphire version of this card, but newegg doesn't seem to have any available at this moment. I might get this card instead and change the stock cooler.)

Hard Drive:
Seagate Barricuda 320 GB perpendicular recording drive

DVD Burner:
Samsung
(Which type of cables for this drive would provide the least clutter in my case?)

Monitor:
Samsung 204B-BK Black 20.1" 5ms DVI LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 800:1 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...

Keyboard:
Logitech G15

Mouse:
Logithech G5

Floppy Drive: NEC

OS: Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 w/SP2B - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1683...
(I am assuming this supports dual core processors? XP Pro any better?)

Wireless Router and Adapter: Any recommendations here? (Budget 35-70 dollars) I am currently running aDSL off a D-Link wired router, but plan to network my homebuilt rig with my current computer and printer wirelessly.

I know I listed many components, but I would appreciate any constructive criticism of my choice of parts and their compatibility in my pending rig. Feel free to offer any advice or recommend any changes to the system I am planning to build. But, please state the reason(s) why I should change a component and if necessary provide links so that I and anyone else reading this post will learn how to choose better computer components. Once again, I plan on using this rig for gaming. I would like to play games like Oblivion with high settings and play online games like BF2 with good FPS. My main goal with my next computer is to take over the world (of online gaming :lol:  )!

I now throw the plans of my next PC into the fire of these forums. THG gurus, please be gentle, I am a noob :twisted: .

More about : system components work

October 21, 2006 12:59:13 AM

Thanks prozac26 :D  , but evidently your current system is much nicer than what I am running these days.

Current System: Dell Dimension 8100
Pentium 4 1.5GHz processor
256MB PC800 RDRAM
32MB NVIDIA GeForce2MX (Just noticed it has TV-Out :o  )
20GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive

...leaves much to be desired for. (Note: Surfing the net is the only entertainment this machine provides. :cry:  ) Yes... sad indeed.
October 21, 2006 1:08:44 AM

Why change the stock cooler for the radeon 1900xtx? I dont believe there is a difference between the sapphire/asus and HIS coolers on that card. Unless you were planning on changing on the sapphire as well.
Related resources
October 21, 2006 1:30:41 AM

Thanks Elite2005 for posting.

My original plan was to get the sapphire version of the card, but since it was not available while I was posting, I chose the cheapest X1900XT video card I saw at the moment. Since I did not know whether the stock coolers were the same for both the sapphire and HIS versions of the card; and since the HIS card was considerably cheaper than the sapphire card, I suggested changing the stock cooler on the HIS card in order to compensate for a possibly cheap and noisy fan that could contribute to the card overheating.

I remember the sapphire cards getting good reviews and few if any complaints about their stock coolers. If the HIS x1900xt has practically the same cooler as the sapphire, then it is a steal for what they are selling it for. 8O
Thanks again Elite2005, from now on I will hold off on any card coolers until I actually test the stock card in my system.
October 21, 2006 5:15:38 AM

Since I live in California, Newegg charges me tax :evil:  . Does anyone know of a good online alternative to purchasing my components from Newegg?

Ya, ya, I know: no one beats Newegg.

It seems funny, but even after charging tax and shipping, Newegg's prices seem to beat most of the competition. :roll: How pathetic!
October 21, 2006 6:25:11 AM

Quote:
Since I live in California, Newegg charges me tax :evil:  . Does anyone know of a good online alternative to purchasing my components from Newegg?

Ya, ya, I know: no one beats Newegg.

It seems funny, but even after charging tax and shipping, Newegg's prices seem to beat most of the competition. :roll: How pathetic!

Have you checked out Zipzoomfly.com? Their prices are competitive, but I don't know where they're located (and thus not sure if they charge tax in Cali).
October 21, 2006 6:47:38 AM

Your first mistake is Win Media Center and your second mistake is OEM,
Move on up to XP Pro SP/2 for $280 RETAIL and you don't have to worry about inevitable hardware failure and and a complete lack of support from MS.
You can swap the Retail version from one system to another as well, and you wont have to worry about accidentally downloading the WGA from Win Update and having it lock your HDD up because it detects OEM software.
Then you have to replace the frozen HDD and purchase a licensed version of same software you already have that doesn't work anymore.
I think i have all of right but please feel free to correct me if i am wrong.
October 21, 2006 4:41:58 PM

Quote:
Have you checked out Zipzoomfly.com? Their prices are competitive, but I don't know where they're located (and thus not sure if they charge tax in Cali).

Thanks Cartman0123 for your suggestion. Unfortunately, Zipzoomfly also charges sales tax in California. Tigers Direct does not charge sales tax here, but I have been hearing allot of bad things about this online retailer :? . It just seems like everyone recommends Newegg and for good reasons; but if some other people can make a few more recommendations of trustworthy and $competitive$ online stores from which they make frequent purchases from, I would appreciate them informing me.
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
October 21, 2006 5:17:32 PM

Quote:
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5
AS5 not required with the AC Freezer Pro. It comes with its own thermal compound pre-applied. Works as good (or better than) AS5. AC Freezer Pro review

I like your choice of XP MCE OEM. In the event that you have a hardware failure such as needing to replace the motherboard you "might" have a WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage) issue but I've never heard of MS refusing to supply a new product key to OEM XP users. Usually you only need to answer a few easy questions.
October 21, 2006 6:36:01 PM

Dumb question, but why do some cases (like the one you have spec'd) put the PSU on the bottom? I thought one of the concepts of the ATX form factor was to use the PSU fan as the primary outlet?

Do PSU's not generate that much heat?

Of course it has that nice top-mounted fan & outlet grill, I like that a lot. Not sure why they have the rear mounted fan at all. Seems like a pretty nice case - is the mobo tray removable (doesn't look like it is) ?
October 21, 2006 6:58:12 PM

Quote:
Move on up to XP Pro SP/2 for $280 RETAIL and you don't have to worry about inevitable hardware failure and and a complete lack of support from MS.

Thanks mad-dog for your input. What benefits would I enjoy if I moved to XP Pro? I plan on using my rig for gaming and for sharing an internet connection and printer with another computer.

I just read about OEM licensing on the Microsoft website and I understand that even if I were to buy an upgrade version of their next OS, Vista, the original license would remain; therefore, I would not be able to install Vista on another computer.

I plan on moving to Vista eventually, but not in the upcoming year. Windows XP is a mature OS that has many service packs out for it. I probably will purchase Vista with DX10 next time I upgrade my video card.

Now, I need to weigh the cost and benefits of buying an OEM version of Windows XP.

Full Retail XP PRO SP/2- $280
XP Media Center Edition 2005 w/SP2B- $109.99
Full Retail XP Home Edition SP/2- $150.70 http://www.royaldiscount.com/wixphoedsp2.html

Right now spending $280 on an OS is out of the question! (Sorry Microsoft :wink: ) The OEM version of Media Center looks very appealing due to the price. My main concern is that if I update the bios to the DS3 motherboard, Windows might think (don't know) that I am transferring my Windows drive to another computer.

What do you guys think; should I get an OEM version of Media Center for $109.99 or a full retail version of XP Home for $150.70?
October 21, 2006 7:41:50 PM

Quote:
AS5 not required with the AC Freezer Pro. It comes with its own thermal compound pre-applied. Works as good (or better than) AS5. AC Freezer Pro review

Interesting review WR2. I noticed that they tested both pastes for 5 days, but I know that AS5 needs 200 hours, which requires more than 5 days, to completely set in.

I do not know why the temperature actually increased 2 degrees over the course of using AS5 and the reviewer failed to explain this result. The temperature fluctuation could have been caused by human error while setting up and recording the data from the experiment. What this experiment reveals to me is that results can vary while using different thermal compounds and human error can always play a factor. (I think it's better for me not to mess with the paste it comes with :wink: )

Two degrees while measuring temperatures near 40ºC could easily be attributed to human errors and marginal inaccuracies of measuring devices. I actually have read many customer reviews for this particular cooler and found people achieving similar temperature decreases while using both the stock thermal compound and AS5.

After reconsidering the use of AS5 in my setup, I decided to save some money and some trouble by not purchasing it.
October 21, 2006 8:19:30 PM

The router bit, I can toss some names like Belkin, Netgear, both have been good buys
October 21, 2006 9:01:16 PM

Quote:
Dumb question, but why do some cases (like the one you have spec'd) put the PSU on the bottom? I thought one of the concepts of the ATX form factor was to use the PSU fan as the primary outlet?

Do PSU's not generate that much heat?

Of course it has that nice top-mounted fan & outlet grill, I like that a lot. Not sure why they have the rear mounted fan at all. Seems like a pretty nice case - is the mobo tray removable (doesn't look like it is) ?

Thank you Psimon for your questions. Take what I am about to say as my opinion and not factually. The esthetics of a computer case are basically left up to the individual user. This isn't your typical design with either beige/white or black all over with random doses of bling throughout. To me this case with its simple yet sophisticated design looks sexy 8) . Yes, this case does not follow the common internal pattern you see with other ATX cases, but that is why I like it. For a mid-tower, this case is larger than average. I heard it's quiet :)  . The power supply is on the bottom. Why yes? Yes it is! But the power supply is on the bottom of what?

Take a look at the bottom picture so you can see what I mean.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article254-page3.html

The area housing the power supply is separate from the area where the motherboard and most of your other components will be placed. Of course PSU's generate lots of heat, because none of them operate 100% efficiently and any inefficiency translates into heat. I believe most of the heat generated from the power supply will be dissipated out of the case from the bottom. If you plan to put this case under your desk like I do, you get the added bonus of having the PSU fan further away from you possibly making less audible noise.

Yes the top mounted fan is nice, hmm why don't all ATX cases have that feature :wink: ? I believe the rear fan allows for better airflow. No, the motherboard tray is not removable, but there is no power supply blocking it :p  .
October 22, 2006 2:09:52 AM

If you think XP Pro is expensive, just wait till vista is released....
Media Center is not the most stable platform and has it's share of crashes, however XP Home edition is very stable and offers plenty of features for the average "baby boomer, soccer mom family" but very little control over the system.
XP Pro has it all and then some, Microsoft is cornering the market by configuring DX/10 to hold hands with Vista.
Vista requires over 750MB (.75GB) of RAM just to idle, start running some programs and suddenly 2GB of RAM seems small.
"Overclockers" wrote a very disturbing article about Vista and DX/10 that only helped me to reinforce why i will stay with XP Pro.
My $2,000 AMD Athlon X2 4200+ Windsor 2.2GHz Socket AM2 CPU,ASUS M2N32- SLI deluxe mobo, EVGA 7900 GTO graphics, Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7500rpm 16MB Cache SATA 3.0GB/s HDD, Kingston 2Gig (4x512) 240-pin SDRAM DDR2 800MHz (PC6400) 1.8V RAM and OCZ 600W PSU resting comfortably in a Thermaltake Armor full-tower steel case will get along just fine w/o Vista.........
There's enough PC games with DX/9.0 architecture out there to keep me happy for years to come.
October 22, 2006 4:36:37 AM

Quote:
If you think XP Pro is expensive, just wait till vista is released....
Media Center is not the most stable platform and has it's share of crashes, however XP Home edition is very stable and offers plenty of features for the average "baby boomer, soccer mom family" but very little control over the system.
XP Pro has it all and then some, Microsoft is cornering the market by configuring DX/10 to hold hands with Vista.
Vista requires over 750MB (.75GB) of RAM just to idle, start running some programs and suddenly 2GB of RAM seems small.
"Overclockers" wrote a very disturbing article about Vista and DX/10 that only helped me to reinforce why i will stay with XP Pro.
My $2,000 AMD Athlon X2 4200+ Windsor 2.2GHz Socket AM2 CPU,ASUS M2N32- SLI deluxe mobo, EVGA 7900 GTO graphics, Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7500rpm 16MB Cache SATA 3.0GB/s HDD, Kingston 2Gig (4x512) 240-pin SDRAM DDR2 800MHz (PC6400) 1.8V RAM and OCZ 600W PSU resting comfortably in a Thermaltake Armor full-tower steel case will get along just fine w/o Vista.........
There's enough PC games with DX/9.0 architecture out there to keep me happy for years to come.

Thanks for following up mad-dog.

Regarding the instability issues with Media Center, I would think it would be bearable. I have used many versions of Windows, including XP Pro as I am typing to you, and there have always been some instability issues. (Ctrl+Alt+Del is your friend :lol:  )

I read some of the reviews for Media Center from Newegg and the majority of the problems reported were problems installing from 2 CD's and compatibility issues with TV tuners and remotes. I don't think I will be having problems installing software and I don't plan on using a tuner or remote with my PC.

I agree with you that Windows XP PRO SP/2 is a great choice for an operating system, but I simply can't justify spending that much money for XP Pro retail when I can purchase Media Center- OEM with SP2B for about $110.

What kind of instability issues are you talking about? Can you be more specific by providing an example or posting a link up? I would like to know more if possible.

I also remember an article that compared Vista against XP in gaming performance. I don't know if it was the same article you mention, but XP beat Vista's performance at running current games. I don't know if this issue will be resolved with updates to Vista, but for the time being Ill stick to XP and not hold my breath for Vista.

I also tried the search option for the THG software forum, but it won't allow me to search phrases like "Windows Media Center", therefore the search results were broad and rarely helpful. Is there a way to search phrases instead of just matching words on the Forumz?
October 22, 2006 4:58:46 AM

Quote:
The router bit, I can toss some names like Belkin, Netgear, both have been good buys

Hi stallyn, any particular models worth mentioning in my price range? ($50-75)
!