New GPU-killer game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Hey, I was wondering if anyone has checked out Microsoft's Flight Simulator X. From what I can gather off AVSIM forums, this game is a real beast to run. For example, one of the posters on the forum has an X1900XT 512MB (sorry, I lost the link), and he's averaging 14 fps with max details.

Have we found a game to rival Oblivion (as far as GPU-crushing is concerned)?

ryokinshin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
yes it is pretty insane, and the amount or area it has to render is more then oblivion as well considering it dosnt hav lod times inbetween areas wich would kill a sim game

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
True, it has to render a whole lot of terrain, but it's in no way as detailed as Oblivion. Still, the frame rates speak for themselves.

crimsonfilms

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
Oblivion only reqiures so much GPU horsepower because of the EXTREMELY inefficient render engine. It renders objects even not on view or being blocked by a wall and such.

Tsk. tsk.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
i run it at 1920x1200 maxed out everything i didnt notice any frame problems :-/ if this game and oblivion tax the gpu the same then i was worried about running oblivion for nothing. Just wish i could find a controler that had teh feel of the logitech 3d but worked longer then 2 weeks i now have 4 dead joysticks from them 2 of them are 2.4gig freedom and the toher 2 are the logitech 3d pro or whatever it is. I know im asking for it but the logitech force 3d pro looks interesting. Im sick of joysticks that always have a slight tilt to one side i hear force feed back is suppose to stop that because it aligns its self.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Oblivion only reqiures so much GPU horsepower because of the EXTREMELY inefficient render engine. It renders objects even not on view or being blocked by a wall and such.

Tsk. tsk.

Yes, I suspect the same with Flight Simulator. It's been the same story since FS2K. A new FS is released, and it basically makes every piece of hardware around look like crap. Many fingers have been pointed to inefficient rendering, because the graphics (while spectacular) shouldn't put THAT much tax on a top-of-the-line GPU.

EDIT: 100 posts W00T. I can see my avatar now :lol:

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
Saitek x52 would be the choice for you
top0014pl.jpg

You wont regret it, been using the same style since saitek made the flight controller, in my opinion it cannot be mached by any stick I have used them all

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
http://www.saitekusa.com/usa/prod/x52pro.htm what ya think about that one? hell if i can let go of the thing and not to a spin ill be happy just wish it had a twist handle. But if everyone here is serious in FSX and oblivion being just as taxing on the system ima go buy that game here soon. I was worried i wouldnt be able to play it the way i wanted to and was going to wait but now i dont see much reason to waiting.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
hell if its a multi threaded game that would explain why i get massive frames setting everything as high as it can go at 1920x1200 :eek: kinda the video card still plays a big role even in CPU intence games D: Funny though the one engine that really loves CPU power (unreal engine) and it hates dual cores :-/ never fails if i try to run anything running a unreal engine it always gives that damned negative delta time bs :( i sure hope they fix that soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.