Sign in with
Your question

WD is making junk hdds....AVOID

Last response: in Storage
October 21, 2006 2:11:13 AM

i just built a core2 pc. (6400) with a gigabyte s3 x850xt 2gigs ram etc.

everything was going well until my WD 320 (16 meg cache ver.) started clicking while updating my ipod.

well the drive now clicks constanty and no longer even boots into windows.

so..... i rma'd it back to newegg (but i got a refund, and ordered a new one so i wouldnt have to wait too long)

so i hook up the new hdd. windows installs, everything is fine! 4 hours later while i was finishing installin all my software, CLICKING!

i just got back 2 back bad WD hdds.

i havent even shipped back the first one, and i now have 2 bad hdds. cant believe this..... could it be soemthing else is making them go bad?

More about : making junk hdds avoid

October 21, 2006 2:33:12 AM

Mmmm, I don't know what could the cause, but I happen to have a WD 320 GB drive as well, it runs off SATA and has a 8 MB cache... You might be unlucky, the batch could be defective or it could be defective in general. I'd Try asking for a different drive from another company of similar capacity from newegg.
October 21, 2006 2:44:19 AM

yep no more wd for me. ridicoulus.

funny thing is the hd in my 5 yr old hp is a wd caviar 120gb

its just frustrating to now waste like 8 hours of installing windows, loading my software and music etc. cuz ive now done it twice and it will be 12 hours once i get another hd.

anyone have a good brand recommendation? ive heard bad things about maxtor.....

hopefully it will last more than 2 weeks, or atleast moe than 4 hours like the one i tried today
Related resources
October 21, 2006 2:55:53 AM

WD aren't that bad. I've only had 1 crash in the last year, another one get bad sectors but my 3rd one (2 weeks old) hasn't had probs yet. I only buy them cause the stores here only stock WD cause they're inexpensive.
October 21, 2006 2:57:54 AM

yeh well right now im 1/3 except the 1 is 5 years old, and the two new ones crapped onme
October 21, 2006 3:02:35 AM

I prefer Seagate myself. WD has a customer loyalty program. You just submit the serial num of another drive and they'll let you buy a new one cheap and direct.

As soon as I order hdds online again I'm going all Seagate.
October 21, 2006 3:06:48 AM

Well i have used them all many many versions of many many hard drives Hitachi (IBM) and Western Digital were my top picks maxtor failure rate and past (probly present) praformance has always lacked. Side note i got a WD 250gig and it was DOA replaced it with same drive still works 2 years later all my HD's are run 24/7 none stop and maxtor has never liked that so far Hitachi/IBM and WD are the only two drives that really dont mind. Seagate isnt a bad drive either i just dont care for them.
October 21, 2006 3:17:09 AM

I have never seen a WD fail, and I have maxtor that is 5 years old and runs flawless. Though during my 5 years of working on computers the most common HD's that go out are seagate's and hitachi's, which are the hard drives that generic branded PC's such as HP's and Dell's use, so I tend to stay away. I currently have one maxtor and one western digital, which in a storm that fried my computer only 3 parts remain'd other than the optical drives that still worked and those were my 2 hard drives and my video card, so I would suggest not getting away from WD because of one bad experiance (or 2 if you see it that way)...would you stop eating at your fave restaurant if the food was occasionally bad?

Best,

3Ball
October 21, 2006 3:38:30 AM

I'm pretty sure its just a bad batch.. I have several WD HDDs, Seagate, and a Maxtor that I still run. I've never had one fail on me yet even with them running almost 24/7.
My maxtor 12gig is the longest now(about 7 years).. only bad thing that happened is that one of the power pins broke off.. all I had to do was stuff it/solder it back into place. 2nd one is my 20gig WD Caviar(close to 6 years) .. and still runs.
October 21, 2006 3:42:18 AM

I definitely reccomend seagate, you can't go wrong with the 5 year warranties. WD is usually pretty good. Don't get an IBM hard drive, worst hard drives I've ever owned, every IBM hard drive I ever had failed. Stick with seagate.
October 21, 2006 3:52:57 AM

If my favorite restaurant served bad food, they'd be history! But I'd cut WD more slack than that.

I would take any of them, frankly. I've had lots of good luck with drives other than the original IBM 20 MB drive in the original IBM-PC/AT -- but that was 20+ years ago!

What I suggest is that you move to another model. Every HD mfr comes up with a problem batch or a problem design from time to time. Remember that these guys rate the drives >100,000 hr MTBF (mean time between failures) and that would take eight years to test a new design. The MTBF are estimates based on design criteria and sometimes the estimates are wrong.

While I have had drive failures in the last twenty-odd years, most of my retired drives suffered from lack of capacity or speed (just died of obsolescence, in other words).

And, it wouldn't hurt to put a voltmeter on the power supply. You could be having a power supply problem -- it is not out of the realm!
October 21, 2006 4:27:31 AM

Quote:

everything was going well until my WD 320 (16 meg cache ver.) started clicking while updating my ipod.

so..... i rma'd it back to newegg (but i got a refund, and ordered a new one so i wouldnt have to wait too long)

so i hook up the new hdd. windows installs, everything is fine! 4 hours later while i was finishing installin all my software, CLICKING!

i havent even shipped back the first one, and i now have 2 bad hdds. cant believe this..... could it be soemthing else is making them go bad?

yeah. i agree with you. i had two wd hard drives. Both of them failed less than one year. They just suck. I use seagate instead ,and i am happy with seagate.

I learned lesson from these suckers. Always back up regularly. I had all my important data backed up but i lost 200 gb of movies on raid array. I feel really sad and i can tell you that i will not buy wd anymore.
October 21, 2006 4:33:50 AM

Quote:
i lost 200 gb of movies on raid array.

All legal I assume? If not, then you can't complain.

OP:

I run two WD and look forward to upgrading to a Raptor or two in the future. I love WD have always used em. You have probably just had bad luck...
October 21, 2006 5:13:30 AM

I've had failures with all brands except IBM (GXP60s, not the GXP75 Deathstar) so no one brand can be singled out. I recently had a two-month old Seagate 7200.9 300 Gig IDE go bad on me ... WHILE I was RMAing that one my 7200.10 320 Gig Sata boot drive also failed, so I ended up sending both back in one package. The two replacements are fine, and Seagate remains my favourite brand along with WD. A two-day old WD failed on me last year, again the replacement was fine. Maxtors, now THEY are junk! Nearly every one I've had has failed, usually just out of warranty. (Incidentally I have an original IBM PC from 1980, and it STILL works, 6 Meg hard drive and all.)
October 21, 2006 5:16:05 AM

it just sound like a bad batch to be honest... i purchased several identical hdds at the same time a few years ago, (3 maxtor 40gb hdds i believe, and 1 IBM 40GB) and they all went bad shortly after... so, its just the luck of the draw... nothing to do with a particular company in this instance... and in your instance as well... because for me, i havent even had a single WD fail as of yet... but have seen numerous seagates fail as well in addition to the drives i listed above.
October 21, 2006 5:21:56 AM

I've never had a WD drive fail on me. I have had Maxtors fail. From what I've read about reported WD failures in the past couple months, my guess is that they had a bad run and probably should recall it. Then again, maybe the overall failure rate is low, but you just happened to get a couple bad ones from the same day's batch. Can't say for sure.

In the meantime, the Seagates and one Hitachi that I've owned have given no problems.
October 21, 2006 6:23:56 AM

I too have had two WD drives fail on me...only it was the 250GB 8MB cache. After the second one I switched to Seagate and never looked back.

I don't know what it is but my 74GB Raptor is running like a champ...I think they must manufacture them better or something.

I say go to Seagate with large storage drives...avoid Maxtor like the plauge (at least prior to Segate buying Maxtor out. I don't know what there drives are like after the buyout.)
October 21, 2006 6:29:08 AM

Well here is my experience both with my own systems and the systems i repair at work.

DO NOT GET MAXTORS they have the highest death rate that i have come across. almost 8 dead Maxtors to every 1 dead other MFG

I personally have had 4 Raptors int he past 3 of which died in a matter of a few months. the 4th one runs fine.

I have about 12 seagate barracuda's throughout my house's computers along with 3 SCSI Seagate drives all work without falt. not had a single oen die. and only seen 2 in the 2 years i have worked at my job that have come up dead.
October 21, 2006 5:42:20 PM

Quote:
I personally have had 4 Raptors int he past 3 of which died in a matter of a few months. the 4th one runs fine.

I'm both sorry to hear of your experience, and glad of it at the same time. You see, I had planned on buying a Raptor as the C: drive on my next rebulid. With all the complaints that I've read in the last few months, I no longer have that plan.

I thing I do wish is that I had an idea of overall failure rates, and what months the failure rates covered. It is all too easy to hear the complaints about any company, without hearing of those who have been content and so say nothing. That said, the number of complaints do seem to indicate a problem at the factory. Whether it is from bad quality control, cost cutting, labor problems, or whatever, I don't know. I do know that the new hard drive I have on order is a Seagate.
October 21, 2006 6:46:02 PM

I have raptor 150 as the c: drive, with no problem for allmost a year (so it's guite new drive... Lets see how it can do in long run...). I allso have two wd 250 for storage, with no problems allso. My last wd died just after one week use, but the replacement has been running very nicely.

Raptor is very high guality product, so you should not have problems with them. All so called customer products are more about of luck.

In my thime I have had one died hitachi, one wd, one form manufacturer that has been dead for a while...
So problems here and there, so in general it's about luck. Of cource it is good to read what is the big picture. All in all WD seems to be doing fine in general, compared to other drives.
October 22, 2006 3:05:21 AM

I have a pair of WD raptors that i've had running in raid 0 for over two years, and they have been on 24/7. I am ready for a major system upgrade and will go WD again, but this post is worrysome. I hope thier quality control hasn't taken a major slide or something. Who knows... maybe the two drives you bought came from the same shipment and the delivery guy dropped em or something.. hehe
October 22, 2006 3:38:49 AM

actually... my 5 yr old hp came with a wd caviar... kind of surprising.

im too am asuuming that this was jsut a bad wd batch, but they have now lost me as a customer.

the killer in this situation is that it happened while i was updating my ipod. since the ipod was on a new computer, i first transfered the music to the computer, and than began reloading the ipod.

my ipod has 4 songs, the harddrive is dead. killer. hopefully once i get a new hdd, ill be able to alteast read one of the clickers (both have all the music) long enough to get the stuff on the new hdd.

what brand should i go? seagate appears to be the only one offering a 16 meg cache, and noone says good things about maxtor. is there another band that im missing? (its ok if newegg doesnt have it) or is seagate the consensus winner?
October 22, 2006 3:57:45 AM

Same situation for me, back to back 250 16mb sata II's.

First one worked 4-6 hours in my new 6600 box, rma'd one came in sounded like a bus motor out of the box, less than 45 minutes to die. Hadn't even finished Acronising my drive.

THIRD one is running fine but I picked up a seagate 320 perp recording 16mb sata II for my OS drive, and it bumps and clicks a lot more than my 2+ yr old WD 80 gig sata I's runnning in my for sale Dell 8400.

Weird.

Customer service flat denied the second one could be bad, had to fight to get the rma.......
October 22, 2006 4:10:02 AM

As for me I have two 250gig SATAII WD. These things just flat out are incredible! I have been using WD since I first started building. You must have been the choosen one who got the defective bach. Since you did it is now OK for everyone else to buy WD hard drives!!! Good luck with any of the generic brands!!!
October 22, 2006 4:17:30 AM

Sailer:

First, your idea is good (Raptor C: and large D:) . The best of both worlds while protecting your data D:.
From all I read (and I use and read a lot). The Raptor is one of the best (and fastest!) drives money can buy.
I remember WD crashes, but that was like 8 years ago.
My Raptor runs perfect and my case does not overheat. The Raptor also makes the whole system run faster.
Still, I think most people will agree Segates makes great large drives.
Watch out for the Maxtors, lots of problems not long ago.

ChaseD13: Are you talking about ALL WDs? Just the 320 Caviar specifically?
October 22, 2006 4:27:48 AM

What PSU do you use?
October 22, 2006 4:29:04 AM

WD has nothing to do with it, try upgrading your RETAILER and always ship fedex!!!
October 22, 2006 4:40:14 AM

I have a "no-name" 500w power supply bought 3 years ago. Seems to work well.
October 22, 2006 4:43:02 AM

It really drives me nutts when people complain about the manufacturers. Unless they arnt experienced or make a drastic mistake theres usually no large con to the products vs others from different manufacturers.

When it comes to hard drives is subjective as we all know they are extremely sensitive to shock so id say 50 percent of all faults happen during shipping. I personally use maxtor hard drives because those suckers can take a beating and keep on trucking. I had one drop 4 feet 2 different times and land on hard floor and 1 time off the backseat of my car to the floor and it was still working fine. both times off the 4 foot drops it was running the carseat drop was the only one when it wasnt running. (eventually my friends dog jumped up, caught the usb cable, and it went 6 feet onto solid wood floor with a resounding rrrrrrr.... tick rrrrrrr....tick which was all i could hear after. needless to say id like to kill his dog)

Anyways..... pick for performance or mass storage and dont complain.

FEDEX RULES SCREW UPS
October 22, 2006 5:04:43 AM

Quote:
Same situation for me, back to back 250 16mb sata II's.

First one worked 4-6 hours in my new 6600 box, rma'd one came in sounded like a bus motor out of the box, less than 45 minutes to die. Hadn't even finished Acronising my drive.

THIRD one is running fine but I picked up a seagate 320 perp recording 16mb sata II for my OS drive, and it bumps and clicks a lot more than my 2+ yr old WD 80 gig sata I's runnning in my for sale Dell 8400.

Weird.

Customer service flat denied the second one could be bad, had to fight to get the rma.......

If the drive clicks then it positively is bad, the click is a reset as the arm goes back to the rest before trying to read a weak sector again. Run Seatools and it will show the drive as failing. I had two Seagates that failed this way, (as I posted above) but since they were both shipped to me in a plastic carrier rather than the usual antistatic bag I suspect they may both have been returns or otherwise "reprocessed." I have five Seagates now, a 7200.7, two 7200.9, and two 7200.10, and there is not a single click or "swish" from them. I still think the Seagate Perps are great drive, and my next one will be a 7200.10 SE.
October 22, 2006 5:35:32 AM

Weak power supply more than likely. The drives were probably fine when he installed them and may still be. There is the off change that could have got damage. I've seen this dozens of times.

Getting two bad drives that fail within hours even from the same batch is highly unlikely. Damage is shipping isn't likely either unless the package was damaged or packed poorly which I never seen from New Egg.
October 22, 2006 5:38:28 AM

I'm switching to seagate on my next build, but currently I'm using 3 wd caviar (40 40 and 120) I have been using them for 4.5 years no with no issues they work great.
October 22, 2006 6:12:33 AM

i've never had a single WD fail on me. My 20GB WD from x years ago is still working just fine. My collection of harddrives are pure WD. never gave me any problems. whereas 2 seagates i once had failed and had bad sectors respectively. I currently have 8 WDs and i'm looking forward to buying more for my new build. :D 
October 22, 2006 6:32:40 AM

Newegg is the Gallagher of online retailers
October 22, 2006 6:42:57 AM

Quote:
Newegg is the Gallagher of online retailers

So indulge us who your favorite retailer is. New Egg is one best out there.

Every drive in my home is WD, 6 never had a problem with them.

I can't say the same for Maxtor.
October 22, 2006 6:47:54 AM

Newegg is the best e retailer i have ever seen. At least they dont sell garbage like frys ;)  ive got hardware from about 30 different sites or so but newegg has always been the best.
October 22, 2006 6:57:04 AM

Youre right Newegg is definitley the best at smashing my S#$T
October 22, 2006 7:00:19 AM

as for the one i prefer its zipzoomfly.com, most reliable ive bought from but not perfect either.
October 22, 2006 7:24:48 AM

Yeah must be them and not the shipping company?
October 22, 2006 7:26:06 AM

The odds of two hard drives failing that close together says something is wrong with your system. either that or you have lose cables. the other day I installed a pci card in my computer and my hard drive was no longer recognized by the bios and the hard drive just sat there clicking. What do you know if I hadn't pulled the sata cable out of the mb just enough to prevent a good contact. I pushed it in and it worked as usual.

The only time I seen hard drives fail like that is when there was a short in the mb. I had a network card that wasn't seated all the way and it fried 3 hard dries in a row before I realized what happened. They would work t hen all of a sudden they stopped. No warning. Also back in the day when they ata cables that could go in either way and didn't have a tab so it could only be inserted one way. That will hurt a drive as well. But those were all years ago.

All other drives the most recent being a wd 120gb did die on me about a year ago after about 3 years of running. It slowly started acting funny then smart gave me an error to replace it. It was oem so no warranty support. I bought a seagate 250 for 100 dollars with a 5 year warranty.

You did do a scan disc on the drive with wd's lifeguard tools?

I have had hard drives from every brand go out on me. Maxtor, wd, samsung etc. So hard drives failing is not brand specific. I only went for maxtor before but I found that all wd manufacturer's except samsung are good but then again, that is just personal opinion. Have no experience leading me away.
October 22, 2006 7:37:44 AM

OK, if Newegg is Gallagher UPS is his actual hammer. Their combined strengths are required to achive smashed package excellence
October 22, 2006 7:44:33 AM

I have only been using newegg and fedex for my computer needs for the last 4 years. I have never, ever had a problem with them. In fact, I bought a geforce 7900gt from them that required several returns. I sent one back and called them asking for a refund without a restocking fee so I could get one less rma prone and they did it without question. I sat there trying to convince the guy why I needed a return without a restocking fee and found that I was wasting my breath, the guy was already doing it and simply said ok no problem sir, restocking fee has been waved. I must say with that in mind, I love new egg, their prices are excellent usually they are the lowest. They have a huge inventory have timely delivery and shipping and I just can't complain. I have spent thousands of dollars there buying everything from a tube of cpu compound to a full computer upgrade including all components and never been disappointed. So yeah, you are going to get an argument from me if you badmouth newegg
October 22, 2006 7:47:01 AM

everyone seems to have horror stories about maxtor. ive had at least 10 maxtor drives and have never had a failure. i still have an 8gig maxtor on the print server that ive had for probably 6 or more years and its still going.

out of the several HDD's that have failed on me theyve been WD's and samsungs. Never had a failure with seagate. I usualy steer clear of those two brands but i recently picked up a WD 250gig 8mb cache that was going cheap. Brand new drive, but wish i had of avoided it because its LOUD. tried a few things to dappen the droaning noise coming out of it but its still loud enough to be bloody annoying

seagate all the way for me
October 22, 2006 7:55:10 AM

It's funn you say that about WD. The current seagate drive I own is the loudest I ever seen in a hd. It's so loud compared to the wd before it that was a wd 120 8mb cache that I thougth something was wrong. But the reviews i read before it said it was loudest in its class, but I was still rather shocked.

The case I have really amplifies the sound it makes with the heads read/writing. The fix I found was suspending the drive in thick rubber bands in the 5 1/2 inch bay. That made the drive silent. But I had problems where my computer would freeze and upon reboot the drive lost all partitioning and data information. it had to be re partitioned and windows had to be reinstalled. That happend twice, but upon a scan with seagate tools there was no problem found, no bad sectors or anything. so I mounted the hd back in its 3.5 bay and haven't had that problem, but now of course the drive is loud again. So it sucks, but what can you do. get a better case I guess.

The wd passport drive now that is one quiet drive, it is literally silent. Too bad its so slow compared to sata.
October 22, 2006 7:59:14 AM

You just said you had to return your card multiple times!! A video card is a hard thing to smash, but as you've proven Gallagher can do it.
October 22, 2006 8:12:12 AM

It was a geforce 7900 gt from XFX. 7900gt's were having a 20 percent failure rate at that time. The packaging both shipping box and retail product box were in perfect shape. I never had a problem, as for fedex. They have pretty good service, ups on the other hand do have some issues, the main thing is not ringing the doorbell when they drop something off. You can be in your house waiting for something they run up and drop your package off at the door and take off. But newegg, not a problem.

I will however avoid ups if at all possible and will never buy a video card from xfx again. EVGA all the way! I bought that one from newegg as well and that was a one shot one kill, no problems and it over clocked like a dream.

As for not liking newegg, there are hundreds and even thousands of retailors out there. Including compusa, best buy, circuit city etc. So you may get crappy service, or slow shipping or higher prices but at least its not newegg.

so why don't you share a few horror stories you had with newegg. When I said a few I mean more then one.
October 22, 2006 8:22:56 AM

Well try changing your power supply : some of these are ripply and WD driives are definitely more susceptible to ripple on the 5/12 volt rail
October 22, 2006 8:59:26 AM

The dude complaining about newegg is just gunna be another one of those guys. probly has never had a problem with them and from his posts if he did im sure he created it. He seems to think they controle how UPS or other shipping compants mess with packages and can controle hardware makers manufacturing practices. As a retailer newegg is one of the best.
October 22, 2006 9:30:24 AM

Quote:

i have read all your posts guys and i could draw same conclusions:
first i think that our friend chased13 has problems with the power supply or samething else in the sistem
and secondly generally i`ve noticed that wd and seagate has a similar fail rate.....it is either bad luck or simply bad shipment

generally if a drive works few hours .. it will work long and happy...most of the drives with malformations failed before the costumer got the computer....max 1 day testing

off the record i use both seagate and wd and they are rock solid.....
i have 2x250 wd2500js and they rock ...they are fast and silent ..and they have almost one year ...

i noticed sameone said earlier samething about seagate 250 (i think is the st3250824) ..that one is indeed very loud .. i use to have one and i got rid of it :lol: 
October 22, 2006 10:53:25 AM

To sum all this up...there might be a "bad batch" but let's face it...many of us use WD's and they run just fine. Don't raptors have a 5 year warranty also? Pretty sure they do. Heat, impact, voltages, and stupidity can result in a HDD going bad. If you buy from an unknown retailer, (and hell even NewEgg could be guilty) it IS possible that your OEM drives were used. It's impossible to tell if it's been used if the drive has been completely whiped. Also, Maxtor's suck. Ok But with flash memory HDD's in the near future, don't be ashamed of giving them a second chance. Companies have been known to restructure and come out on top. We're talking about new components as well, tougher hard drives. So don't count Maxtor or WD out just yet. Even Sony can produce flammable batteries...
!