Network between 2 cars

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hello Guys:
I want to know if I set up 2 laptops with a wireless cards in ad-hoc mode
each laptop in a car, how far away the cars can be connected?
Sorry for my poor english...
Thanks in advance...

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> I want to know if I set up 2 laptops with a wireless cards in ad-hoc mode
> each laptop in a car, how far away the cars can be connected?

Are you expecting to be moving at the same time? Got to ask, why?! :)

Due to the constantly changing RF environment, I wouldn't expect great
results unless you opted for external antennas on both cars with the
antennas on the roof. Distance wouldn't be the biggest problem but the
changing environment as you drove along, straight road, cars adjacent
would probably work but in a city where you'll get other objects in the
way, other cars in between I wouldn't expect great success with this
one.

Haven't tried though, good luck!

David.

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Probably only about 125-200 feet, at most. that is, however, given that
there are no large vehicles between you.

Archived from groups: (More info?)

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 00:45:12 -0400, "yv6eda" <yv6eda"at"softhome.net>
wrote:

>I want to know if I set up 2 laptops with a wireless cards in ad-hoc mode
>each laptop in a car, how far away the cars can be connected?

If you're using the built in antennas that come with most laptops, I
doubt if you will be able to RELIABLY maintain a connection while
moving. Range would not even make it out of the vehicle because of
the shielding from the metal car body. You would need to either
elevate the laptops to the window level, or otherwise provide a
suitable external antenna. However, once you have an external
antenna, dopper shift will cause some problems if there is relative
motion. It appears that both vehicles are moving together so that
won't be an issue.

My guess is you'll get no distance with conventional laptops inside a
shielded vehicle, about 20ft with laptops elevated to glass level, and
perhaps 100ft with external antenna on the vehicle rooftop.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Thanks guys for all your answers...
I was thinking in something like a vo/ip between the cars, share one gps...
etc., but better still using my frs radios...
Thanks again for your anwers...

"yv6eda" <yv6eda"at"softhome.net> wrote in message
| Hello Guys:
| I want to know if I set up 2 laptops with a wireless cards in ad-hoc mode
| each laptop in a car, how far away the cars can be connected?
| Sorry for my poor english...
| Thanks in advance...

Keep in mind that some cars have metal window tinting and RF does not play
well with that enviorment.

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> I was thinking in something like a vo/ip between the cars, share one gps...
> etc., but better still using my frs radios...
> Thanks again for your anwers...

If you want to do radio, then yes FRS is a much more sensible option.

You could easily share the GPS by using a serial to radio data
converter. Don't know what options you have there but something like
this should be pretty easy to interface to a GPS outputting NMEA data:-

http://www.rfsolutions.co.uk/acatalog/FM_T7G_R7G_Modules.html

David.