Safest way to isolate a new system?

KazumaCTHDWE

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Right, a question has been bugging me whilst I wait for my parts to process and ship to me. Once I install Win7 on it, how do I make sure that its safe and secure enough for the wilds of the internet?

I'm sure I've got no choice with Windows updates (literally first ever website has to be windows update, or use Win7's own way to get the updates), but for antivirus/antimalware/etc, I'm a bit lost.

Do I risk using a USB flash drive with a system I dont trust to grab them off the internet? Do I risk doing it on the new system? Do I focus on Windows updates right off the bat? Do I put in AV/firewalls in before putting it live on the internet?

Choices of AV/firewall/security software is not an issue for me, as I've got a choice. Its HOW I apply that choice in the safest way. I'm on a laptop which is far from secure (family member installed Norton AV after the fact of a virus/malware infection that I had to clean out, and still am not sure its completely cleaned out. If it were up to me, reformat, reinstall, but thats a no-no.) which leaves me in a bit of a bind.

Solution
Flash drive viruses are easy to neutralize. They're invoked by either:

(a) double-clicking or running an executable program that you run from the drive. Solution: don't run a program from the drive unless you know where it came from.

(b) booting from the flash drive. Solution: don't boot from the drive.

(c) (most common) automatic invocation via the Autorun.inf file on the drive. Solution: disable autoplay (click "Start", type "autoplay" in the search box and hit ENTER, then UNcheck "Use AutoPlay for all media and devices" and click "Save").

KazumaCTHDWE

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I'm all familiar with the information in that guide, thank you. Its the methodology of keeping a brand-new OS install as clean as possible before putting it out to the wild, prepared.

Lemme rephrase:

What is the best way to prepare a brand-new OS install with the tools already installed when:
1. Sources to obtain the tools are not trusted
2. Internet access for this system is wifi-only
3. Doing it all with one hand

KazumaCTHDWE

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
I'm worried about usb flashdrive viruses getting on a naked system like what this'll be. Where I'm going to use said flash drives would be an untrusted system.

I may actually spend money to get a suite, but I've been always a Comodo user, so trying to learn a new security suite would be a hindrance, same for the actual cost of it.

A naked system would become a quick target once I put it online, so going online quickly is not an option. I've seen a new system comprimised within 30 seconds of being online. I'm not messing with that.

Flash drive viruses are easy to neutralize. They're invoked by either:

(a) double-clicking or running an executable program that you run from the drive. Solution: don't run a program from the drive unless you know where it came from.

(b) booting from the flash drive. Solution: don't boot from the drive.

(c) (most common) automatic invocation via the Autorun.inf file on the drive. Solution: disable autoplay (click "Start", type "autoplay" in the search box and hit ENTER, then UNcheck "Use AutoPlay for all media and devices" and click "Save").

Solution

christop

Distinguished
If you have a new system just download virus software from a trusted source. I have yet to see a computer get infected just by connecting to the net. You have to download something to get infected it doesn't just happen on its own. As for your flash drive just format it before you copy your software to it. Run windows update then install your av of choice you will be fine.