Is it worth it to have wifi built-in the mother board?

picard

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2004
Is it worth it to have wifi built-in the mother board? or Would the wifi feature run fast enough? This is just general question. Asus & Gigabyte make wifi built in motherboards. I wonder if this feature is useful at all. Is this how laptop connect to desktop PC by wifi to access the net?

Would an independent Wi-fi card have higher speed than buit-in version?

slicessoul

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2006
For current utilization, yes it worth it.

Since manufacturers are enchancing and advancing the abilities of wi-fi, someday you'll need to buy another standard of wi-fi.
Currently, manufacturers producing 802.11b/g standard. But they are not finish yet, they are developing another standard, 802.11n which imo, will out in the market next year.

shata

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Well its a great idea sense i always run out of pci slots specially with the new sli boards. BUT all the good overclocking boards dont have Wifi in them. So i just choose my trust worthy cat5e cable.

And no asus is not a good overclocking brand there vcore is limited to 1.5v on my board im rather disapointed about that.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Is it worth it to have wifi built-in the mother board? or Would the wifi feature run fast enough? This is just general question. Asus & Gigabyte make wifi built in motherboards. I wonder if this feature is useful at all. Is this how laptop connect to desktop PC by wifi to access the net?

Would an independent Wi-fi card have higher speed than buit-in version?

Personally, I feel that none of the wifi standards at present have enough security built in to warrant allowing one IN my PC. I do have a wireless access point with a router and FW, so I can allow my wife to share my adsl connection, and the occasional guest.

wifi 'n' standard is at present a real mess.... Many horror stories of bandwidth interference...

Besides, unless you live in a completely wifi integrated area, what's the point?