Sign in with
Your question

you guys could not have made this forum worst if you tried

Last response: in Site Feedback
July 9, 2007 4:14:23 PM

this is horrible, very unfriendly, and new users are gonna have the hardest time here. who is the genius behind this idea?

forums now sucks, can't look at one section at a time, can't do a lot of things.

I thought you guys said improvement, forum is slower, and lot worst then it was.

it looks better, but looks are for idiots ;) 

please move to the forurm section thank you

More about : guys made forum worst

July 9, 2007 4:29:05 PM

I don't think it looks better.....

The simplicity of the other style was it's great strength.... now it's hard to locate simple buttons such as 'new post'.... and what's with 'answer' instead of 'reply'??????????

Also, no post counters really sucks. Think these forums may be about to de-populate rapidly :lol: 
July 9, 2007 5:48:43 PM

I don't understand if they don't want people to visit why do they have a forum?

its now taking me around a minute just to go page to page and now I have to see an ad in middle of transferring from post to post????

I don't think I'm gonna stay around much anymore, if I wanted to work I would get paid for it, I only came here to help people and I don't think I or the people that come here for help have a minutes to spend per page loading.

learn how to run a forum why don't you
July 9, 2007 6:02:05 PM

I feel it's fast. :) 
July 9, 2007 6:04:22 PM

I as well as other staff have been using these forums for some time now on many browsers/resolutions and have not seen a slowdown. In fact, it is a bit faster from my personal browsing experience.

The new look is a change, and doesn't everyone hate change? This site is more futuristic now, and since it is more advanced then most out there, it looks overloaded, bloated, and hard to navigate.

Once you start using the forums, you will get used to all the new features, changes, and hopefully, most of the common complains will be addressed.

Keep in mind, this is not a cookie cutter BBS, PHPnuke site. It was built from the ground up.

"can't look at one section at a time"
You can minimize all sections if you wish too.

And note: I am with you. I like user friendly and intuitive over new design... but that is just how things advance some times; THG is advancing.
July 9, 2007 6:16:49 PM

Hmm.. the ajax voting system sure works nicely....

EDIT: yeah that's cool too.
July 9, 2007 6:19:12 PM

- The forum can be a little bit slow on his first day because of some post-migration stuff being done.

- Regarding the "Answer" button, it has been corrected.

We're taking very seriously all your feedbacks but please give us as many details as possible about what's bothering you.
July 9, 2007 6:19:18 PM

Phrozt said:
Hmm.. the ajax voting system sure works nicely....

And try the edit in place now ! :p 
July 9, 2007 6:27:14 PM

Its even worse than I thought, I cannot now get to THG uk and am stuck with world wide Yuk The flag comes up at the top of the page but nothing happens when it is clicked :bounce: 
July 9, 2007 7:06:57 PM

I see so you guys came-up with the great idea of making your own rules so now users have to learn a whole new way of using a forum just to come here.

and who may I ask is the one that thought the best way to get people to visit is to make them do work?

I don't won't to learn how to use a new forum, I just wanted to help people, instead I'm forced to view ads every were and now even in the middle of loading pages.

I don't like it, I don't have to visit, which I won't, honestly you guys are just getting ridiculous and too money hungry, we don't have not one ad on our forums and it loads much faster then this, and yes its a ipb but then again its not like my visitors are programmers and neither are yours.

people have a hard enough time with thier pc and want to ask questions, till now you made go thru 5 or 6 ads now you wanna force ads in the middle of loading and they have to learn how to use your forum before they even get a chance to ask about the problem they came here for to begin with?

listen why don't you guys just have us pay you to come here and still make us watch ads, put ads every where then take the money we would pay you and make a really cool forum that only you guys like ;) 

I mean who cares about the users, after all its your forum we will bend over backward to come here to see you ;) 

peace ;) 
July 9, 2007 7:15:57 PM

Seriously dood... re-read your post.

You sound like a child throwing a tantrum. I'm not exaggerating in the slightest.
July 9, 2007 7:38:42 PM

if thats what yo see then its over your head don't worry about it, I don't have the time to hold your hand and walk you through.

you have to be considerate to others to understand it

it only looks childish to kids who won't understand it either.

Seriously ;) 
July 9, 2007 7:42:02 PM

Why the bloody hell are the forums so narrow?????? I use a 1920x1200 LCD and it looks retarded. Are the site ops stuck @640x480 and think it looks great?

Even at 1680x1050 it looks terrible. Use a real forum, Vbulletin, or phpBB3, or SMF, ANYTHING but this.
July 9, 2007 8:02:10 PM

Comptia, check my post in this forum. It's not a rant. More of an...........epiphany. Frankly, I'm astonished at what's happened here. Granted, change always spurs reaction........fine. I could go into great detail about the technical, visual, and intuitive problems with these forums, but I don't see the point. They'll be subjective anyways. And I suspect the new management here has very strong opinions on where THG is heading, so I highly doubt it'll do much good anyways.

Check my thread, see if you agree with my point. Quite honestly, I think it may be wise to take at least a hiatus and perhaps drop back in around November when things start to settle in. And then see whether THG is still worth it, or whether they've completely gone off the tracks. Sorry man, but it's true.

I see the writing on the wall here, and it's not poetic. It smacks of corporate management, of "mainstream" consumerism and demographics. It's like a CNET waiting to happen. It's quite dismaying actually. THG has become populated with........well........newbies......tha t don't understand what this place was and what it represented. Of what potential it had. Such a shame.

So ends my little diatribe. It's not spiteful, you should know by my time spent here that I've been nothing but a straight-shooter and always tried to be objective and helpful and positive. But I think that's no longer possible here, the "philosophy" here isn't what it was.

Sad really, I quite enjoyed it here. There's a storm coming this way and I think it's time to move on.........

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/20564-9-bookmarked-links-longer-work-serious

Thanks Comptia, have always appreciated your candor here.

~Skyguy

[edit: and I see URL links don't workin Quick Edit, italics, bold, etc......such bugs. You'd think all this would have been thoroughly tested before dropping it in like this. Wow.]
July 9, 2007 8:03:06 PM

edklite said:
if thats what yo see then its over your head don't worry about it, I don't have the time to hold your hand and walk you through.

you have to be considerate to others to understand it

it only looks childish to kids who won't understand it either.

Seriously ;) 

All you do is cry in your post. I made an entire thread full of pros/cons/things to work on, and it's actually being looked at because I addressed the mods as real people rather then crying like a little kid who's mom wouldn't buy him candy.
July 9, 2007 8:18:51 PM

I told you its over your head, you don't even know what you are talking about, you don't even understand what I'm talking about, you only think you do which makes your above comment unapplicable once again just like the rest of your posts here.

but I feel sorry for you so I will give you one clue, "if you have to point out the obvious to somebody then you are wasting your time talking to them."

now I know you won't understand what I mean by the above or what it pertains to, and I know you will think you do and then will get offended, but know this, the clue above say nothing bad about you, if you understand it then you will see they don't, if you misunderstand it then you will get offended ;) 

now run along to your thread where you are wasting your time ;) 

BTW if I was asking for myself I would ask for more then a candy ;) 
July 9, 2007 8:28:32 PM

edklite said:
I see so you guys came-up with the great idea of making your own rules so now users have to learn a whole new way of using a forum just to come here.

Yes, they came up w/their own rules just so they could piss new people off. Brilliant point.
- Stop whining.

edklite said:
and who may I ask is the one that thought the best way to get people to visit is to make them do work?

Does it even concern you? No.
- Stop whining.

edklite said:
I don't won't to learn how to use a new forum, I just wanted to help people, instead I'm forced to view ads every were and now even in the middle of loading pages.

WAAHH I DON-WANNA!!!! They are working on it.
- Stop whining

edklite said:
I don't like it, I don't have to visit, which I won't, honestly you guys are just getting ridiculous and too money hungry, we don't have not one ad on our forums and it loads much faster then this, and yes its a ipb but then again its not like my visitors are programmers and neither are yours.

WAAHH I DON-WANNA!!!! THG provides these boards free of charge. THG provides the bandwidth free of charge. THG provides quality (mostly) up-to-date articles... free of charge. How the hell do you expect them to stay in business w/out some sort of revenue model? How big are your boards?
- Stop whining

edklite said:
people have a hard enough time with thier pc and want to ask questions, till now you made go thru 5 or 6 ads now you wanna force ads in the middle of loading and they have to learn how to use your forum before they even get a chance to ask about the problem they came here for to begin with?

Almost every forum is different. The old forum was different from every forum I've been on. Changes happen, and it's not exactly rocket science to "learn how to" use a message board. Good god.
-Stop whining.

edklite said:
listen why don't you guys just have us pay you to come here and still make us watch ads, put ads every where then take the money we would pay you and make a really cool forum that only you guys like ;) 

WTF was the point of that little bit other than to whine?
- Stop whining

edklite said:
I mean who cares about the users, after all its your forum we will bend over backward to come here to see you ;) 

Obviously they don't care about users, considering the entire site was made for others to begin with and still is. Another useless and retarded retort with absolutely no constructiveness to it whatsoever.
- Stop whining.

See?? I went through your whole post. All you do is whine. You think I don't know what you're talking about because I don't agree with you? That's ridiculous.

Go take a nap, kid... you're being way too fussy.
July 9, 2007 11:44:23 PM

Phrozt said:

Almost every forum is different. The old forum was different from every forum I've been on.

Not true, I've seen many forums with the same template.

It seems childish to simply dismiss edklite's complaints as mere 'whining'. As a user he has the right to feel upset that a perfectly good, user-friendly forum has been ditched in favour of this overly-complex, un-intuitive (is that even a word?), style. His comment about coming here to help others is perfectly valid and should be taken seriously. I came here originally to learn, and have stayed on to do my bit and help others..... I only have a certain amount of time to devote however, and all this unneccessary clutter, and the frustration it causes me make it seem like too much of a hassle tbh.

Bit of feedback:

The icons that have replaced the words 'quote'. etc are way too small and fiddly. Now you have to hold your mouse over them and wait for the 'mystery meat' to tell you what they represent..... using actual words such as 'quote' meant that you could just see the button and click it without delay.
July 9, 2007 11:53:16 PM

Please, can we focus on specific problems, or things that can be done?

Welshtrog, can you be more specific about the problem you're having? Maybe in a separate thread?

GSte, I can't promise that those specific icons are going to change, but I can make sure that feedback gets to the visual designers.
July 10, 2007 2:28:02 PM

the new interface is slow rendering and full of "Mystery Meat Navigation" :)  as well as it has shuffled everything around {maybe Blendtec did it, sort-of-like: does "Tom's Hardware Forums" Blend?... yes it does!}

http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/mysterymeatnavigation.h...

it is hard do see the pros outweighing the cons, but it still works :) , darn it's not April 1st!
{the cons being the iCONS}

couldn't really search for any of my previous post though. :( 
bold doesn't do anything, so now I have to target specific sentences to quote,

edit & quick edit :lol: 

can we have alt=" message signature " for our avatars?

did Toms servers overload, it was busy for a bit I had to try back after 10 min.

stuff seems to be faster on the 10th of July. looking forward to remembering what all the iCONs mean, i do like having the ability to flip pages at the top of the forum {finally}

July 10, 2007 8:26:18 PM

GSTe said:
Not true, I've seen many forums with the same template.

It seems childish to simply dismiss edklite's complaints as mere 'whining'.

I didn't "simply" dismiss edklite's complaints as whining, I dissected them and pointed out exactly why he WAS just whining.

I didn't say every forum was the same.. I said "almost every." I'll give you a list of forums I frequent:

http://vnboards.ign.com (snowboard)
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ (not sure... vbulletinish)
http://www.namepros.com/ (vbulletin)
http://hardforum.com/ (vbull)
http://forum.explosm.net/ (vbull)
http://p2p.wrox.com/ (not sure)
http://tek-tips.com/ (not sure.. but some REALLY ugly board system)
http://www.webmasterworld.com/ (BestBBS)
http://www.webproworld.com/ (not sure what type)
private mma tracker forum - not sure.. but it's ugly.

Even the vbull systems in this list are all customized with certain things added/disabled/moved. So yeah.. a LOT of boards out there are different, and you just have to get used to them. Most boards have a lot in common though... I'll agree to that, but only if you agree to the fact that this board has a lot in common w/other boards as well... because it does.

To simply say that the boards are crap.. suck ass.. are horrible.. and THG is a failure simply because you don't want to spend 1 full minute re-acquainting yourself with a new board style is a rather sad statement on your character.
July 11, 2007 12:22:38 PM

Sengoku said:
Please, can we focus on specific problems, or things that can be done?

Welshtrog, can you be more specific about the problem you're having? Maybe in a separate thread?

GSte, I can't promise that those specific icons are going to change, but I can make sure that feedback gets to the visual designers.

There just seems to be a lack of clarity and ease of navigation now, surely the designers know how important this is to webpages? Function should always come first, that's a basic rule. :??: 
July 11, 2007 12:34:59 PM

Phrozt said:

To simply say that the boards are crap.. suck ass.. are horrible.. and THG is a failure simply because you don't want to spend 1 full minute re-acquainting yourself with a new board style is a rather sad statement on your character.

I think you've missed the point of what he was saying, but if that were the case, then yes you would be right. I personally think these new boards are crap because of the design, not because I'm too lazy to learn how to use them.

Specifics include:

'Report post' icon being bigger and in a more prominent place than 'quote' icon, even though it's less important and used far less;

No post counters, which most people like;

General bugs which should have been ironed out during testing, such as italics button not working (come on!).
July 11, 2007 2:24:42 PM

GSTe said:
I think you've missed the point of what he was saying, but if that were the case, then yes you would be right. I personally think these new boards are crap because of the design, not because I'm too lazy to learn how to use them.

Specifics include:

'Report post' icon being bigger and in a more prominent place than 'quote' icon, even though it's less important and used far less;

No post counters, which most people like;

General bugs which should have been ironed out during testing, such as italics button not working (come on!).

And I listed several of those things in an intelligible thread full of constructive criticism ( http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/20560-9-several-thing... ) as opposed to just bitching and whining like a little kid, as the OP does in this thread.

That's my entire point.
July 12, 2007 12:25:24 AM

I liked the old forums a whole lot better. I was able to find the forums I wanted to look at quite easily, now it is a convoluted mish mash potpourri of information. Too bad, THZ I thought you would be capable of a better forum setup.... Bleh.
July 13, 2007 10:48:25 PM

Phrozt said:
And I listed several of those things in an intelligible thread full of constructive criticism ( http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/20560-9-several-thing... ) as opposed to just bitching and whining like a little kid, as the OP does in this thread.

That's my entire point.

I understand your point, and I agree that it's correct what you say about the OP. But I feel that he has a right to be upset and express it in this manner. He has posted a lot on these boards, and as such has invested a lot of time and energy.... if he feels upset about the changes then it is our duty to take his feelings seriously rather than dismiss them as childish, otherwise it makes the effort he has put in seem insignificant/worthless, which it is not.
July 15, 2007 8:51:55 AM

it is the titanic and like the titanic you think your not on a sinking ship; until you realize all to late late; holy cow; i how do i get off this thing
!