1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Can I put my DDR-400 memory into a motherboard that supports DDR2-800 memory, or am i going to have to buy new memory?
No, you can't. The DIMM slots are slightly different(DDR-184pins, DDR2-240 pins). Also, the voltage requirements are different between the two(JEDEC standard....DDR-2.5v, DDR2-1.8v) The only way that you could swing it, is with one of the specialty-type motherboards that have 2 slots for DDR and 2 slots for DDR2. Sounds like new RAM for you. GL :)

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Can I put my DDR-400 memory into a motherboard that supports DDR2-800 memory, or am i going to have to buy new memory?
No, you can't. The DIMM slots are slightly different(DDR-184pins, DDR2-240 pins). Also, the voltage requirements are different between the two(JEDEC standard....DDR-2.5v, DDR2-1.8v) The only way that you could swing it, is with one of the specialty-type motherboards that have 2 slots for DDR and 2 slots for DDR2. Sounds like new RAM for you. GL :)

Logically, cant u fit 184-pins onto 240-pins?

Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
no u cant fit 184pins into 240pins. ram doesnt really have pins though. i dont refer to them as pins.
anyway it wont fit.
even if it would DDR is not compatible in a DDR2 slot.
they r different things.

u will need new ram or a Motherboard that fits both DDR and DDR2. u can asrock boards that fit both

Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
well if wat you got now is a DDR based motherboard+ddr ram in your current system then that motherboard wont support your e6600

if u want it to be as cheap as possible to upgrade then get the Asrock MB that supports DDR and DDR2.
this way u will only need the cpu and mb and u can use your current ram.

if u dont get the asrock then u will need new RAM and MB

aequalsb

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2006
The center pin is in a diffrerent place on the 2 types of slots:

DDR2-slot.gif

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006

DDR2-slot.gif

Thats not fair!
Why are they always trying to screw me??
First it was PCI-E x16 wich still dosent have a performance leap over AGP x8 cause not even the 7950 GX2 uses 8 lanes yet, and now they changed the pins so that i cant keep my 1024MB memory.
I mean, the clock speed is higher, but why make the pins different?

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006

DDR2-slot.gif

Thats not fair!
Why are they always trying to screw me??
First it was PCI-E x16 wich still dosent have a performance leap over AGP x8 cause not even the 7950 GX2 uses 8 lanes yet, and now they changed the pins so that i cant keep my 1024MB memory.
I mean, the clock speed is higher, but why make the pins different?

They are not trying to screw you, they are triying to screw us all, but they also need to make a profit.

the advantage of PCI-E over AGP is that PCI-E can deliver more power to the card, the bandwith is just collateral.

DDR2 also offers some advantages over DDR (besides clock speed) but I don't remeber excatly now.

Bottom line: If you want a new PC you have to pay for it, sry but that's life.

vegettonox

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
ddr 2 contains more pins and thus more bus lines for faster communication. Enables much higher theoretical speeds and the dimms themselves use nearly a volt less in power requirements.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
But I'm barely 17 years old. I go to a very "prestigious" high-school, wich basicly means its a lot harder, and have no time to work.. not that anyone would hire a 17 year-old for any serious job that requires knowledge and not sweat.

I dont think i would see a performance difference beetween DDR2 and DDR anyway.. i mean the CPU does all the work.

I once saw a clip of Windows XP booting in 5 second, wich was allegedly due to the RAM, wich was some freaquish contraption that runs on a PCI bus and delivers much higher performance, like DRAM.. but i doubt it was the RAM and not the CPU.
I also heard that because of high latencies, DDR2-800 RAM is abt the same as DDR-400 RAM, performance wise.

Seems like a lot of work and money, only because i want to play with a mouse and keyboard..

vegettonox

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
that 5 second windows boot was probaby bullcrap but i do know that 12 seconds is possible using a new device that uses ram on a pci card that acts exactly like a hard drive.

Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
between ddr400 and cheaper ddr2-533 and 667 you probly wont notice a difference.

its not the cpu that does everything BTW

and will the G80 use more bandwidth than 8X. probably

this is life. its not gonna change

happy_fanboy

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Track what do you do with your computer?
You said the CPU does all the work but if youre playing games that couldnt be farther from the truth. You need a good mainboard, HDD, ram, and most important a video card. CPU hardly matters at all.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Track what do you do with your computer?
You said the CPU does all the work but if youre playing games that couldnt be farther from the truth. You need a good mainboard, HDD, ram, and most important a video card. CPU hardly matters at all.

God no. CPUs suck.. they days are numbered.

Soon we will have GPUs or GPU-CPU hybrids that do work up to 40 times better.

I was talking abt the boot-up process, wich hasn't much to do with the GPU.. for now.

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
that 5 second windows boot was probaby bullcrap but i do know that 12 seconds is possible using a new device that uses ram on a pci card that acts exactly like a hard drive.

Are u saying that a hard drive is faster than RAM?

burn-e86

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I hope that everyone realizes that either he is retarded or a troll.
considering he goes to a 'prestigious' High school, and cant afford to buy new ram....and cant wrap his head around the fact that 184 cant go into 240...

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
Prestigious, as in hard to get into.. not expensive. You know, hard work.. not that you have ever heard of it, cause all u do is go around forums bashing ppl for not reason.. or maybe its because ur a retard, hmm?

Look, its like ur brain, 0.184mm. It should fit into mine, 240mm.
But the problem is, it wont fit into my skull, me being so much better looking than you.

Oh man! If it was just legal to kill stupid ppl.. i just want to hurt u so much!

Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
Prestigious, as in hard to get into.. not expensive. You know, hard work.. not that you have ever heard of it, cause all u do is go around forums bashing ppl for not reason.. or maybe its because ur a retard, hmm?

Look, its like ur brain, 0.184mm. It should fit into mine, 240mm.
But the problem is, it wont fit into my skull, me being so much better looking than you.

Oh man! If it was just legal to kill stupid ppl.. i just want to hurt u so much!

that brain analogy is one of the worst analogy's i have ever heard.

and its mostly the HDD that determines boot time not the cpu.

the only thing youve said that i agree with is that nobody will hire a 17 year old for serious knowlagable job. im 15 so i get what your saying

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
(attempts to hold back laughing) This is possibly one of hte funnier threads i have seen so far. Damn those computer hardware designers for screwing me into faster more reliable standards like pci and ddr2 they should be shot! I see your high school has gone to your head. Anyways you might be smart with books but its apperant when it comes to computers you dont really seem to know ps/2 from firewire (that was lame i know). The gpu cpu "hybird" thing hmm well there are plans to use the extreamly high floating point of a GPU for calculations but it will hardly replace a cpu. CPU cant do work with out ram and ram cant be filled with out a means of transfering data from some sort of storage in this case ill use a Hard drive for a example. None of that can get around wiht out some sort of bus system like lets say serial ata just for example of course. you cant get good 3d anything with out a video exelerator of sorts that also cannot get info with out the previuse of course. Inovation can be a pain sometimes but the reason pci e has no "seen" advantage over agp is not because it is the same or not a upgrade no one programs for the use of extra bandwidth. (now im sure some programs take advantage so please dont list off software that does) now when they do add GPU to take over some calculations AGP will NOT be able to handle it bandwidthwise so being screwed into pci e hmmm well it can handle it so guess it wasnt really being screwed. When your a kid not many people will hire you for jobs that requier some sort of training that doesnt requier manual work. why? well your a kid under 18 and in most cases in my state being under 21 keeps you out of that. One thing to note when it comes to ram dispite it being slower timing wise more ram is better then faster ram. btw to end this if it were legal to kill stupid people i believe you would have been murdered at least 6 times by people that have replyed to this thread thus far.

306maxi

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
But I'm barely 17 years old. I go to a very "prestigious" high-school, wich basicly means its a lot harder, and have no time to work.. not that anyone would hire a 17 year-old for any serious job that requires knowledge and not sweat.

I dont think i would see a performance difference beetween DDR2 and DDR anyway.. i mean the CPU does all the work.

I once saw a clip of Windows XP booting in 5 second, wich was allegedly due to the RAM, wich was some freaquish contraption that runs on a PCI bus and delivers much higher performance, like DRAM.. but i doubt it was the RAM and not the CPU.
I also heard that because of high latencies, DDR2-800 RAM is abt the same as DDR-400 RAM, performance wise.

Seems like a lot of work and money, only because i want to play with a mouse and keyboard..

Seriously STFU.

If you were smart you'd realise that they are not trying to screw you over. You want everything to be nice and easy so that things are easy for you. Life isn't easy kiddo. With improvements in technology come incompatibilities. Does anyone complain that their records don't work in a cassette player or a CD player? No! So why are you whinging about this?

Giraffe

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2004
ey EnFoRceR22. im not trying to criticize u hear but dam, have u ever heard of an enter key or a paragraph?

the Track guy is obviously a noob that half understands bits of everything and makes up the other half.
eg.
some ddr2 isnt faster than ddr. I must be getting screwed here

agp has enough bandwidth. but PCI-E has more. I must be getting screwed over again.

wat r u gonna say next? that u think your smart?

Logically, cant u fit 184-pins onto 240-pins?

Logically, at this point in your PC building skills, you should probably get someone to build it for you.....and never, ever open the case yourself.