RAM: CORSAIR TWINX1024-3200XLPT 1GB
Video Card: Asus Radeon Extreme X850 XT 256mb
Hard Drive: Seagate 7200.8 ST3300831AS 300GB
Case: LIAN LI PC-V1000 ALUMINUM QUIET TOWER
Power Supply: Antec True Power 550W
Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe NForce 4
Sound Card: Sound Blaster AUDIGY 2 ZS
DVD Burner: NEC Silver ND-3520A/SV 16x4x16DVD±RW/4xDVD±R DL/48x24x48-CD-RW

and i was wondering how can i oc it? I was planning to get a vapochill and just oc it but i am not sure whats a stable speed for the fx-55. Can anyone please help out this newbie =)

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
fx55@2ghz stock right so i'd say 2.4-2.5 with decent cooling, it will qiuckly get hot due to it being 130nm not 90nm used today....

but it should be quite ewasy because of the unlocked multiplier. Read up on it, as mpilch said the overclocking forum has some advice on howto overclock athlons :)

atarione

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2003
http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16819103527

if you read the user reviews it sounds like right about 2.8 is about it.

oh is the FX 55 a SD or clawhammer? cause you didn't say?

considering the FX 57 is only 2.8Ghz probably makes sense .... it is about as far as the core can go i would imagine.

generally "rad" oc comes from lower end of a family proc's say like a 3200 or 3500

cause some of the lower speed chips are binned to meet consumer demand even though they could have been made into faster models.

generally you get something like an FX cause you want fast w/out oc'ing.

kgbstudly

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Yeah Asus board cannot handle HUGE over clocks... however you can get decent, more than 200mhz out of it and be completly stable.

I have the same board with an 3700+ San Diego (french for Whales Vagina)**I'm Ron Burgandy ??**

Any way 3700+ has a multiplier of x11, and I am sorta stuck about where you are to OC, but what I did just farting around one day before I formatted started messing with some settings.

What I found helps me go from 2.2ghz to a stable around 2.7ghz is to actually lower the multiplier and then crank up the fsb. Asus cannot handle the HUGE clocks like a DFI board would have, (Still kicking my own arse for not buying that, but at the time I heard they had alot of issues with Corsair memory) Usually my asus board doesnt let me roam much past the 250 mark with only lowering the multiplier slighty to gain the highest clocks I mentioned before. You could probaly get more if you bump the vcore though, but I got my stable nice OC and I'm too lazy to push it further

But any way, this is my method to madness. I don't know how much sense it would make on a FX with an unlocked multiplier, but got knows I used to drool over that 1000$ proc with an UNLOCKED multiplier, almost soiled my pants and bought it one day, but now I could pick it up for like 140 lol.

Any way you can try this method if you want w/e it worked for me thought I'd share my results since our systems are very very simlar:

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
The fx-55 is 2.6GHz at stock.

oops, oh yeah i forgot..... :roll:

ah yes the fx55 was before the fx57 so it was 200mhz slower...

what was i thinking of :? athlon fx51? no thats 2.2ghz.... hmmmm :lol:

xoulu

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
ok how would you guys actually oc it? any suggestion on what parts to buy to get it to do a good overclock. Oh its a claw hammer fx.

godman

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2006
okay first hve a go with the stock fan, so you know how to do it....

so go into the BIOS and there should be a tab called CPU settings actually look here it'll show where everything is...

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NzAzLDIsLGhlbnRodXNpYXN0

now you wanna overclock the HTT (200mhz @stock) by around 5mhz for now ill post back when i ave more time or by the time i do someone else'll have helped you...
Though when you wanna overclock with a bigger better cooler then you shoudl perhaps conside upping the multiplier by 13, making it 2600mhz and then seeing if you can upp the HTT bus a little like 30mhz... or so there should be a guide somewhere on THG in the OC forum.... sorry i donmt have much time i gotta go :)

xoulu

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
hi agian can any one of you recommand me a cooling product for my computer. Also can you also tell me how can i set my oc to make it run at 3.4ghz I seen it done before and i want mines to run at that speed. I think that is the max speed a fx 55 claw hammer. I oc it to 3.4ghz somehow, it was on auto and it clocked it to 3.4ghz and then when i restarted the computer it went back to stock. I regret not writing down the configuration of the oc, i thought it would stay that way but guess not. Any one can help out i would really thank them.