Sign in with
Your question

PCI BUS doubts! (trying to buy TV tuner for PC)

Tags:
  • Tuner Cards
  • TV
  • Tuner
  • PCI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 21, 2006 10:09:32 AM

Hello there 8), i just joined the community but i've been reading you for a couple of weeks :) 

I'm posting here because i've been searching around and couldn't find a solution to my problem.
I own a DFI Lanparty UT nF3 250 GB and i think it has PCI 2.1 (users manual talks about PCI Slot.. doesn't specify anything else) and i just found out that many TV cards require PCI 2.2 or 2.3...
I googled a bit and discovered that PCI 2.1 can work at 5v (but some sites say that they work between 3.3 and 5), then that the 2.2 work between 3.3 and 5 and finally the 2.3 that work only at 3.3v

Questions now:
PCI 2.3 based card (as Pinnacle Dual DVB-T) could work and my board? (2.1)
My guess is that it should work if google is right, telling me that my bus supplies between 3.3 and 5. If so...
What's the difference between 2.1 and 2.2?

What i have clear is that if you PCI has 2.3 PCI slots then u wont be able use PCI 2.1 based cards as they need 5v to work and your PCI would only supply 3.3... doubts are between "old" boards with 2.1/2.2 using 2.3 designed cards...

Well hope you understood me!
Thanks in advance.

More about : pci bus doubts buy tuner

October 21, 2006 11:38:48 AM

All versions of yhe PCI bus are backward compatible with each other and the versions that works with dual I/O voltage (5 and 3.3V) works weel with cards which require 3.3V. Also take note that all PCI cards are 3.3V since many years.
Don't confuse power voltage with I/O voltage: all PCI revisions provide all the available power voltages to the cards (12V, 5V and 3.3V) on different pins, so there's no problem with that.
Speaking of I/O logic levels, all revisions beyond the 2.0 use 3.3V I/O but are 5V tolerant, meaning that you can still use a very old card with 5V I/O.

All the new cards at 3.3V will work, the PCI 2.3 specification for tuner cards is a compliance declaration only, but they'll work on any PCI 2.0 and up revision.
October 21, 2006 12:25:57 PM

Thanks for the answer maury.
But im still not quite sure about everything you just said. Have a look at this (from the PCI-SIG official site)

"Revision 2.3 supports the 5V and 3.3V keyed system board connectors (as did revision 2.2) but revision 2.3 supports only the 3.3V and Universal keyed add-in cards. The 5V keyed add-in card is not supported in revision 2.3. PCI 66, PCI-X, Mini PCI, and Low Profile PCI support only 3.3 volt signaling on 3.3V keyed system board connectors and 3.3V and Universal keyed add-in cards"

So....

"revision 2.3 supports only the 3.3V and Universal keyed add-in cards"

What does that mean :( . I know that the universal cards are those with the 2 pins (i think!).

If so, then as you said theres nothing to be afraid of, but i've heard so many problems with PC's and Tuners that i wasnt sure about buying PCI card (mainly with PCI cards 2.3 used on ASUS boards that were 2.2 compliance)

Woahhh i need a rest after writing all that stuff :lol: 
Related resources
October 21, 2006 12:34:27 PM

I have never had problems and I do have an Asus mobo.

Maybe they didn't use the last drivers/BIOS because I had no problems at all with any 2.3 cards.
October 21, 2006 12:38:03 PM

Quote:
"revision 2.3 supports only the 3.3V and Universal keyed add-in cards"
What does that mean. I know that the universal cards are those with the 2 pins (i think!)

Sorry I missed this question :-)
It means that a 2.3 compliant SLOT don't support the very old (more than 8 years!) 5V only add-in cards, but only 3.3V signals cards.

No problem: as I said all cards you can find on the market since many years use 3.3V signalling.
October 21, 2006 1:36:56 PM

Cool :lol: 
You are the man :trophy:

Thanks a lot, i will get Air Star 2 from Technisat :twisted:
!