Hi All,
Recently installed SP2, no real problems, except my boot time now takes
approx 2 minutes whereas before SP2 it only took 50-60 seconds. Any ideas ?
I have tried all the usual remedies, eg MSConfig, disabling unwanted startup
progs etc ...
Cheers,
Tony ...

"Impatient XP User" wrote:

> Hi All,
> Recently installed SP2, no real problems, except my boot time now takes
> approx 2 minutes whereas before SP2 it only took 50-60 seconds. Any ideas ?
> I have tried all the usual remedies, eg MSConfig, disabling unwanted startup
> progs etc ...
> Cheers,

This may not still be available from the Microsoft site but if you search
for Bootvis I'm sure you'll find it somewhere. Bootvis will restart your
computer and measure the start up to desktop time to give you a benchmark
figure. Then you can go through a step by step confirmation to see what's
taking the time. My startup is now down to 39 seconds and I've heard of
quicker ones but I also know a lot of people wh would die for a two minute
start up!!!

Roger Lemon,
Newport Pagnell,
England

> Tony ...

Reign in your impatience! During the install of SP2 the "prefetch" folder is
cleared out. It will take 2-3 days for it to again become fully populated so
the system can rearrange the critical startup files for fastest access.

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Impatient XP User" <Impatient XP User@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:493B725B-6146-47D1-AC79-70BEF278F93E@microsoft.com...

Impatient XP User schrieb:
> Hi All,
> Recently installed SP2, no real problems, except my boot time now takes
> approx 2 minutes whereas before SP2 it only took 50-60 seconds. Any ideas ?
> I have tried all the usual remedies, eg MSConfig, disabling unwanted startup
> progs etc ...
> Cheers,
> Tony ...
hm... well, it's not SP2s fault, i can say, cos i have it too and my
computer takes about 30 secs to boot...

have you updated your system after install of sp2?

Richard Urban schrieb:
> Reign in your impatience! During the install of SP2 the "prefetch" folder is
> cleared out. It will take 2-3 days for it to again become fully populated so
> the system can rearrange the critical startup files for fastest access.
interessting :) i haven't heard about that yet... :)

Thanks for the replies guys, re Bootvis, I've used this before with
disasterous results ! Never again ... re Prefetch solution, its been over a
week now since SP2 install, surely thats ample time for the OS to get its act
together ? And finally, no, I haven't done any updates since SP2 ... Any
other ideas ?

Cheers,

Tony ...