cannot play PC friendly DVDs

koogco

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
my drive acts strange...

MI2 and tombraider 2 (the craddle of life) are both not playing, and they are both suposed to be playable on pc.. i got other movies that is not made for pc at all, but they play just fine.
it have happened with a movie i rented too..

the drive simply cant read it, it tries and tries for a few minutes, then gives up and handle the disk as empty.

the disks are not scratched at all (exept for the rented one) and they play fine on my old computer.

my drive is: LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165p6s
there is no drivers at all on their website (at least i dont see any), and again, it is only a few movies.

so what do you say? should i RMA or is there an easy way to deal with it (i would hate missing my computer for a week or two)
i could just ignore the problem i gues, but i hate when my things dont work.

koogco

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
you think so?
well i gues you do since you say so :)

but the drive is only a few months old and it played another DVD (Underworld) fine just after i had tried with tomb raider..
i might try it though, would be stupid to RMA if that was the solution.
but the other computer (the one wch does play the dvds) if far older and have never been cleaned..

im thinking abouth getting a second dvd drive, it can sometimes be usefull to have more than one.. if it as a problem with the hardware, then getting another would probably solve the problem, and i dont want to miss my computer for a week or two..

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Dual layer issue? I'm not familiar with that model so I dunno if it has problems with DL. Just throwing it out there...if it works with older movies but not newer ones perhaps?

Detson

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2005
Maybe a decoder issue? Did you drive come with DVD player software? It's also possible those DVD's you mentioned only play using some sort of proprietary program; check with the manufacturer.

koogco

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
just found out that there actually WAS firmware for my model, what i did not see was, that when looking at liteon.com there is only a reference to liteonit.com (what the heck is the difference?) and there was never firmware which did solve my problem, os to evyryone having problems with only some DVD movies, firmware will be the solution!