Scanner software?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
October 10, 2004 6:02:42 PM

I have an Epson 1660 Perfection Scanner running Twain via USB 2.0.
The scanner may be "Perfection", but the software certainly isn't! While I
have a "one button" copy feature on the scanner, the software won't allow
for customizing the "default" copy settings. (Color/BW, Darkness, Pic/Text,
etc..) The copy results are of pretty poor quality.

I don't use the scanner much for pictures and OCR etc... so the Smart Panel
software that comes with the scanner should be sufficient for those needs.

However, I really need to use the scanner as a "Copier" (to my printer)...
and Smart Panel is pretty useless in that regard.

Can anyone suggest a freeware program that would allow me to quickly bang
out a copy? One that would allow for a little customization?

If not, are there any commercial products that I could use to replace Smart
Panel altogether?

Thanks in advance,
Al Camp

More about : scanner software

October 10, 2004 8:04:15 PM

In article <5ibad.338274$mD.134691@attbi_s02>, anon@anon.net says...
> I have an Epson 1660 Perfection Scanner running Twain via USB 2.0.
> The scanner may be "Perfection", but the software certainly isn't! While I
> have a "one button" copy feature on the scanner, the software won't allow
> for customizing the "default" copy settings. (Color/BW, Darkness, Pic/Text,
> etc..) The copy results are of pretty poor quality.
>
> I don't use the scanner much for pictures and OCR etc... so the Smart Panel
> software that comes with the scanner should be sufficient for those needs.
>
> However, I really need to use the scanner as a "Copier" (to my printer)...
> and Smart Panel is pretty useless in that regard.
>
> Can anyone suggest a freeware program that would allow me to quickly bang
> out a copy? One that would allow for a little customization?
>
> If not, are there any commercial products that I could use to replace Smart
> Panel altogether?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Al Camp

Take a look at iCarbon:

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/icopy.html
--
Cheers!

Jan
Anonymous
October 10, 2004 10:37:31 PM

Jan,
Tried to download ICopy (now called ICarbon) via the SnapFiles link you
provided, but got a "Site not found" message repeatedly.
Sounds like a dead end on that, but thank you for trying to help.
Al Camp

"Jan" <myredsunfire@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> In article <5ibad.338274$mD.134691@attbi_s02>, anon@anon.net says...
>> I have an Epson 1660 Perfection Scanner running Twain via USB 2.0.
>> The scanner may be "Perfection", but the software certainly isn't! While
>> have a "one button" copy feature on the scanner, the software won't allow
>> for customizing the "default" copy settings. (Color/BW, Darkness,
>> Pic/Text,
>> etc..) The copy results are of pretty poor quality.
>>
>> I don't use the scanner much for pictures and OCR etc... so the Smart
>> Panel
>> software that comes with the scanner should be sufficient for those
>> needs.
>>
>> However, I really need to use the scanner as a "Copier" (to my
>> printer)...
>> and Smart Panel is pretty useless in that regard.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest a freeware program that would allow me to quickly bang
>> out a copy? One that would allow for a little customization?
>>
>> If not, are there any commercial products that I could use to replace
>> Smart
>> Panel altogether?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Al Camp
>>

> Take a look at iCarbon:
>
> http://www.snapfiles.com/get/icopy.html
> --
> Cheers!
>
> Jan
October 11, 2004 12:05:29 AM

Try this link -- it's apparently the present owner if iCarbon. I didn't try
the program but the reviews were only 2 stars compared to 3 stars on
SnapDragon's site.

www.idev.ch/icarbon/

"AlCamp" <anon@anon.net> wrote in message
> Jan,
> Tried to download ICopy (now called ICarbon) via the SnapFiles link you
> provided, but got a "Site not found" message repeatedly.
> Sounds like a dead end on that, but thank you for trying to help.
> Al Camp
>
> "Jan" <myredsunfire@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>> In article <5ibad.338274$mD.134691@attbi_s02>, anon@anon.net says...
>>> I have an Epson 1660 Perfection Scanner running Twain via USB 2.0.
>>> The scanner may be "Perfection", but the software certainly isn't!
>>> While I
>>> have a "one button" copy feature on the scanner, the software won't
>>> allow
>>> for customizing the "default" copy settings. (Color/BW, Darkness,
>>> Pic/Text,
>>> etc..) The copy results are of pretty poor quality.
>>>
>>> I don't use the scanner much for pictures and OCR etc... so the Smart
>>> Panel
>>> software that comes with the scanner should be sufficient for those
>>> needs.
>>>
>>> However, I really need to use the scanner as a "Copier" (to my
>>> printer)...
>>> and Smart Panel is pretty useless in that regard.
>>>
>>> Can anyone suggest a freeware program that would allow me to quickly
>>> bang
>>> out a copy? One that would allow for a little customization?
>>>
>>> If not, are there any commercial products that I could use to replace
>>> Smart
>>> Panel altogether?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Al Camp
>>>

>> Take a look at iCarbon:
>>
>> http://www.snapfiles.com/get/icopy.html
>> --
>> Cheers!
>>
>> Jan

Anonymous
October 11, 2004 12:15:05 AM

Snapfiles seems to have some kind of problem ... you might
have better "luck" going direct:

http://www.idev.ch/index.php?option=com_remository&Item...
&func=fileinfo&parent=category&filecatid=6

You should also try the freeware 'Photocopier' and payware
'Photocopier Pro' from Nico Cuppen. The freeware version
doesn't do the "one button" stuff (as far as I know) but the
payware 'Pro' version can be set up that way.

http://www.nicocuppen.com

"AlCamp" <anon@anon.net> wrote in message
> Jan,
> Tried to download ICopy (now called ICarbon) via the
SnapFiles link you
> provided, but got a "Site not found" message repeatedly.
> Sounds like a dead end on that, but thank you for
trying to help.
> Al Camp

Anonymous
October 11, 2004 2:34:07 AM

Gene,
Thanks a lot!
Downloaded ICarbon, and it works great. My B/W copies do not have a grey
background (big ink savings), and the text is very dark and clearly
readable.
Wicked Good!
Thanks again,
Al Camp

"Gene Hora" <ams34@san.rr.com> wrote in message
news:D Cgad.6568$nl4.5460@twister.socal.rr.com...
> Try this link -- it's apparently the present owner if iCarbon. I didn't
> try the program but the reviews were only 2 stars compared to 3 stars on
> SnapDragon's site.
>
> www.idev.ch/icarbon/
>

> "AlCamp" <anon@anon.net> wrote in message
>> Jan,
>> Tried to download ICopy (now called ICarbon) via the SnapFiles link you
>> provided, but got a "Site not found" message repeatedly.
>> Sounds like a dead end on that, but thank you for trying to help.
>> Al Camp
>>
>> "Jan" <myredsunfire@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>> In article <5ibad.338274$mD.134691@attbi_s02>, anon@anon.net says...

>>> Take a look at iCarbon:
>>>
>>> http://www.snapfiles.com/get/icopy.html
>>> --
>>> Cheers!
>>>
>>> Jan

Anonymous
October 11, 2004 2:38:11 AM

Thanks RSD,
I had tried so many programs that were not really freeware, or didn't
work well at all. These recommendations save me hours of test-hopping some
so-so programs.
ICarbon looks like a good solution for me right now, but I'll save this
link.
Thanks very much for your help...
Al Camp

"RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote in message
news:D Lgad.3036$j15.1562@trnddc07...
> Snapfiles seems to have some kind of problem ... you might
> have better "luck" going direct:
>
> http://www.idev.ch/index.php?option=com_remository&Item...
> &func=fileinfo&parent=category&filecatid=6
>
> You should also try the freeware 'Photocopier' and payware
> 'Photocopier Pro' from Nico Cuppen. The freeware version
> doesn't do the "one button" stuff (as far as I know) but the
> payware 'Pro' version can be set up that way.
>
> http://www.nicocuppen.com
>

> "AlCamp" <anon@anon.net> wrote in message
>> Jan,
>> Tried to download ICopy (now called ICarbon) via the
> SnapFiles link you
>> provided, but got a "Site not found" message repeatedly.
>> Sounds like a dead end on that, but thank you for
> trying to help.
>> Al Camp

Anonymous
October 11, 2004 5:37:46 PM

Check out Art-Copy @ http://www.scanhelp.com

--
Thanks,

Clarence Klopfstein
PH: 513-528-6660
Fax: 513-528-3470

>I have an Epson 1660 Perfection Scanner running Twain via USB 2.0.
> The scanner may be "Perfection", but the software certainly isn't! While
> I have a "one button" copy feature on the scanner, the software won't
> allow for customizing the "default" copy settings. (Color/BW, Darkness,
> Pic/Text, etc..) The copy results are of pretty poor quality.
>
> I don't use the scanner much for pictures and OCR etc... so the Smart
> Panel software that comes with the scanner should be sufficient for those
> needs.
>
> However, I really need to use the scanner as a "Copier" (to my printer)...
> and Smart Panel is pretty useless in that regard.
>
> Can anyone suggest a freeware program that would allow me to quickly bang
> out a copy? One that would allow for a little customization?
>
> If not, are there any commercial products that I could use to replace
> Smart Panel altogether?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Al Camp

Anonymous
October 11, 2004 7:43:58 PM

FYI... After some thought, iCarbon seemed like something I could use, so
downloaded and installed. Immediately gave problems -- couldn't find the
printer and kept getting the following error on every application that
feasibly used a printer:

"Spooler subsystem app has encountered a problem and needs to close"

Went to printer settings and both printers (HP laserjet and HP Deskjet) were
"gone" After much trial, got instructions from Microsoft's website that
pertained to the error, KB #324757. Took a lot of effort to edit the
Registry without being able to print out the instructions. But after
reinstalling both printers (the final step of instructions), all now seems
OK. Others apparently have had success with iCarbon, but I'll pass. Too
bad!

> Thanks RSD,
> I had tried so many programs that were not really freeware, or didn't
> work well at all. These recommendations save me hours of test-hopping
> some so-so programs.
> ICarbon looks like a good solution for me right now, but I'll save this
> link.
> Thanks very much for your help...
> Al Camp
>
> "RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote in message
> news:D Lgad.3036$j15.1562@trnddc07...
>> Snapfiles seems to have some kind of problem ... you might
>> have better "luck" going direct:
>>
>> http://www.idev.ch/index.php?option=com_remository&Item...
>> &func=fileinfo&parent=category&filecatid=6
>>
>> You should also try the freeware 'Photocopier' and payware
>> 'Photocopier Pro' from Nico Cuppen. The freeware version
>> doesn't do the "one button" stuff (as far as I know) but the
>> payware 'Pro' version can be set up that way.
>>
>> http://www.nicocuppen.com
>>

>> "AlCamp" <anon@anon.net> wrote in message
>>> Jan,
>>> Tried to download ICopy (now called ICarbon) via the
>> SnapFiles link you
>>> provided, but got a "Site not found" message repeatedly.
>>> Sounds like a dead end on that, but thank you for
>> trying to help.
>>> Al Camp

Anonymous
October 11, 2004 8:12:45 PM

Interesting .... I had problems with it finding the scanner.

FWIW: I've had *no* problems with the freeware 'Photocopier'
from Nico Cuppen.

> FYI... After some thought, iCarbon seemed like something
I could use, so
> downloaded and installed. Immediately gave problems --
couldn't find the
> printer and kept getting the following error on every
application that
> feasibly used a printer:
>
> "Spooler subsystem app has encountered a problem and needs
to close"

> Went to printer settings and both printers (HP laserjet
and HP Deskjet) were
> "gone" After much trial, got instructions from
Microsoft's website that
> pertained to the error, KB #324757. Took a lot of effort
to edit the
> Registry without being able to print out the instructions.
But after
> reinstalling both printers (the final step of
instructions), all now seems
> OK. Others apparently have had success with iCarbon, but
I'll pass. Too
> bad!
>

> "AlCamp" <anon@anon.net> wrote in message
> > Thanks RSD,
> > I had tried so many programs that were not really
freeware, or didn't
> > work well at all. These recommendations save me hours
of test-hopping
> > some so-so programs.
> > ICarbon looks like a good solution for me right now,
but I'll save this
> > link.
> > Thanks very much for your help...
> > Al Camp
> >
> > "RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote in message
> > news:D Lgad.3036$j15.1562@trnddc07...
> >> Snapfiles seems to have some kind of problem ... you
might
> >> have better "luck" going direct:

http://www.idev.ch/index.php?option=com_remository&Item...
> >> &func=fileinfo&parent=category&filecatid=6
> >>
> >> You should also try the freeware 'Photocopier' and
payware
> >> 'Photocopier Pro' from Nico Cuppen. The freeware
version
> >> doesn't do the "one button" stuff (as far as I know)
but the
> >> payware 'Pro' version can be set up that way.
> >>
> >> http://www.nicocuppen.com
> >>

> >> "AlCamp" <anon@anon.net> wrote in message
the
> >> SnapFiles link you
repeatedly.
> >> trying to help.

Anonymous
October 11, 2004 9:08:29 PM

Well, I also downloaded the freeware "Photocopier" as well as the "Pro"
version. But I'm gun-shy now, have to give this some thought before acting.
The freeware version would do whatever I needed; but the pro version might
be more carefully programmed.

> Interesting .... I had problems with it finding the scanner.
>
> FWIW: I've had *no* problems with the freeware 'Photocopier'
> from Nico Cuppen.
>

> "Gene Hora" <ams34@san.rr.com> wrote in message
>> FYI... After some thought, iCarbon seemed like something
> I could use, so
>> downloaded and installed. Immediately gave problems --
> couldn't find the
>> printer and kept getting the following error on every
> application that
>> feasibly used a printer:
>>
>> "Spooler subsystem app has encountered a problem and needs
> to close"
>>
>> Went to printer settings and both printers (HP laserjet
> and HP Deskjet) were
>> "gone" After much trial, got instructions from
> Microsoft's website that
>> pertained to the error, KB #324757. Took a lot of effort
> to edit the
>> Registry without being able to print out the instructions.
> But after
>> reinstalling both printers (the final step of
> instructions), all now seems
>> OK. Others apparently have had success with iCarbon, but
> I'll pass. Too
>> bad!
>>

>> "AlCamp" <anon@anon.net> wrote in message
>> > Thanks RSD,
>> > I had tried so many programs that were not really
> freeware, or didn't
>> > work well at all. These recommendations save me hours
> of test-hopping
>> > some so-so programs.
>> > ICarbon looks like a good solution for me right now,
> but I'll save this
>> > link.
>> > Thanks very much for your help...
>> > Al Camp
>> >
>> > "RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote in message
>> > news:D Lgad.3036$j15.1562@trnddc07...
> might
>> >>

> http://www.idev.ch/index.php?option=com_remository&Item...

> payware
> version
> but the

> the
> repeatedly.

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 5:45:39 PM

Gene,
Sorry to hear about all the bugs. I tested ICarbon a few times, and had
no problems. I'm running XP w/SP2.
I'll probably give Photocopier a try too.
Thanks to all who waded in on this. Good "meat and potatoes"
information!!
Al Camp

"Gene Hora" <ams34@san.rr.com> wrote in message
> FYI... After some thought, iCarbon seemed like something I could use, so
> downloaded and installed. Immediately gave problems -- couldn't find the
> printer and kept getting the following error on every application that
> feasibly used a printer:
>
> "Spooler subsystem app has encountered a problem and needs to close"
>
> Went to printer settings and both printers (HP laserjet and HP Deskjet)
> were "gone" After much trial, got instructions from Microsoft's website
> that pertained to the error, KB #324757. Took a lot of effort to edit the
> Registry without being able to print out the instructions. But after
> reinstalling both printers (the final step of instructions), all now seems
> OK. Others apparently have had success with iCarbon, but I'll pass. Too
> bad!
>

> "AlCamp" <anon@anon.net> wrote in message
>> Thanks RSD,
>> I had tried so many programs that were not really freeware, or didn't
>> work well at all. These recommendations save me hours of test-hopping
>> some so-so programs.
>> ICarbon looks like a good solution for me right now, but I'll save this
>> link.
>> Thanks very much for your help...
>> Al Camp
>>
>> "RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote in message
>> news:D Lgad.3036$j15.1562@trnddc07...
>>> Snapfiles seems to have some kind of problem ... you might
>>> have better "luck" going direct:
>>>
>>> http://www.idev.ch/index.php?option=com_remository&Item...
>>> &func=fileinfo&parent=category&filecatid=6
>>>
>>> You should also try the freeware 'Photocopier' and payware
>>> 'Photocopier Pro' from Nico Cuppen. The freeware version
>>> doesn't do the "one button" stuff (as far as I know) but the
>>> payware 'Pro' version can be set up that way.
>>>
>>> http://www.nicocuppen.com
>>>

>>> "AlCamp" <anon@anon.net> wrote in message
>>> SnapFiles link you
>>> trying to help.