Scanner software?

I have an Epson 1660 Perfection Scanner running Twain via USB 2.0.
The scanner may be "Perfection", but the software certainly isn't! While I
have a "one button" copy feature on the scanner, the software won't allow
for customizing the "default" copy settings. (Color/BW, Darkness, Pic/Text,
etc..) The copy results are of pretty poor quality.

I don't use the scanner much for pictures and OCR etc... so the Smart Panel
software that comes with the scanner should be sufficient for those needs.

However, I really need to use the scanner as a "Copier" (to my printer)...
and Smart Panel is pretty useless in that regard.

Can anyone suggest a freeware program that would allow me to quickly bang
out a copy? One that would allow for a little customization?

If not, are there any commercial products that I could use to replace Smart
Panel altogether?

Thanks in advance,
Al Camp
12 answers Last reply
More about scanner software

    In article <5ibad.338274$mD.134691@attbi_s02>, anon@anon.net says...
    > I have an Epson 1660 Perfection Scanner running Twain via USB 2.0.
    > The scanner may be "Perfection", but the software certainly isn't! While I
    > have a "one button" copy feature on the scanner, the software won't allow
    > for customizing the "default" copy settings. (Color/BW, Darkness, Pic/Text,
    > etc..) The copy results are of pretty poor quality.
    >
    > I don't use the scanner much for pictures and OCR etc... so the Smart Panel
    > software that comes with the scanner should be sufficient for those needs.
    >
    > However, I really need to use the scanner as a "Copier" (to my printer)...
    > and Smart Panel is pretty useless in that regard.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a freeware program that would allow me to quickly bang
    > out a copy? One that would allow for a little customization?
    >
    > If not, are there any commercial products that I could use to replace Smart
    > Panel altogether?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Al Camp

    Take a look at iCarbon:

    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/icopy.html
    --
    Cheers!

    Jan

    Jan,
    Tried to download ICopy (now called ICarbon) via the SnapFiles link you
    provided, but got a "Site not found" message repeatedly.
    Sounds like a dead end on that, but thank you for trying to help.
    Al Camp

    "Jan" <myredsunfire@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > In article <5ibad.338274$mD.134691@attbi_s02>, anon@anon.net says...
    >> I have an Epson 1660 Perfection Scanner running Twain via USB 2.0.
    >> The scanner may be "Perfection", but the software certainly isn't! While
    >> have a "one button" copy feature on the scanner, the software won't allow
    >> for customizing the "default" copy settings. (Color/BW, Darkness,
    >> Pic/Text,
    >> etc..) The copy results are of pretty poor quality.
    >>
    >> I don't use the scanner much for pictures and OCR etc... so the Smart
    >> Panel
    >> software that comes with the scanner should be sufficient for those
    >> needs.
    >>
    >> However, I really need to use the scanner as a "Copier" (to my
    >> printer)...
    >> and Smart Panel is pretty useless in that regard.
    >>
    >> Can anyone suggest a freeware program that would allow me to quickly bang
    >> out a copy? One that would allow for a little customization?
    >>
    >> If not, are there any commercial products that I could use to replace
    >> Smart
    >> Panel altogether?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Al Camp
    >>

    > Take a look at iCarbon:
    >
    > http://www.snapfiles.com/get/icopy.html
    > --
    > Cheers!
    >
    > Jan
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Try this link -- it's apparently the present owner if iCarbon. I didn't try
    the program but the reviews were only 2 stars compared to 3 stars on
    SnapDragon's site.

    www.idev.ch/icarbon/

    "AlCamp" <anon@anon.net> wrote in message
    > Jan,
    > Tried to download ICopy (now called ICarbon) via the SnapFiles link you
    > provided, but got a "Site not found" message repeatedly.
    > Sounds like a dead end on that, but thank you for trying to help.
    > Al Camp
    >
    > "Jan" <myredsunfire@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >> In article <5ibad.338274$mD.134691@attbi_s02>, anon@anon.net says...
    >>> I have an Epson 1660 Perfection Scanner running Twain via USB 2.0.
    >>> The scanner may be "Perfection", but the software certainly isn't!
    >>> While I
    >>> have a "one button" copy feature on the scanner, the software won't
    >>> allow
    >>> for customizing the "default" copy settings. (Color/BW, Darkness,
    >>> Pic/Text,
    >>> etc..) The copy results are of pretty poor quality.
    >>>
    >>> I don't use the scanner much for pictures and OCR etc... so the Smart
    >>> Panel
    >>> software that comes with the scanner should be sufficient for those
    >>> needs.
    >>>
    >>> However, I really need to use the scanner as a "Copier" (to my
    >>> printer)...
    >>> and Smart Panel is pretty useless in that regard.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone suggest a freeware program that would allow me to quickly
    >>> bang
    >>> out a copy? One that would allow for a little customization?
    >>>
    >>> If not, are there any commercial products that I could use to replace
    >>> Smart
    >>> Panel altogether?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance,
    >>> Al Camp
    >>>

    >> Take a look at iCarbon:
    >>
    >> http://www.snapfiles.com/get/icopy.html
    >> --
    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> Jan

  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Snapfiles seems to have some kind of problem ... you might
    have better "luck" going direct:

    http://www.idev.ch/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=87
    &func=fileinfo&parent=category&filecatid=6

    You should also try the freeware 'Photocopier' and payware
    'Photocopier Pro' from Nico Cuppen. The freeware version
    doesn't do the "one button" stuff (as far as I know) but the
    payware 'Pro' version can be set up that way.

    http://www.nicocuppen.com

    "AlCamp" <anon@anon.net> wrote in message
    > Jan,
    > Tried to download ICopy (now called ICarbon) via the
    SnapFiles link you
    > provided, but got a "Site not found" message repeatedly.
    > Sounds like a dead end on that, but thank you for
    trying to help.
    > Al Camp

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Gene,
    Thanks a lot!
    Downloaded ICarbon, and it works great. My B/W copies do not have a grey
    background (big ink savings), and the text is very dark and clearly
    readable.
    Wicked Good!
    Thanks again,
    Al Camp

    "Gene Hora" <ams34@san.rr.com> wrote in message
    > Try this link -- it's apparently the present owner if iCarbon. I didn't
    > try the program but the reviews were only 2 stars compared to 3 stars on
    > SnapDragon's site.
    >
    > www.idev.ch/icarbon/
    >

    > "AlCamp" <anon@anon.net> wrote in message
    >> Jan,
    >> Tried to download ICopy (now called ICarbon) via the SnapFiles link you
    >> provided, but got a "Site not found" message repeatedly.
    >> Sounds like a dead end on that, but thank you for trying to help.
    >> Al Camp
    >>
    >> "Jan" <myredsunfire@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    >>> In article <5ibad.338274$mD.134691@attbi_s02>, anon@anon.net says...

    >>> Take a look at iCarbon:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.snapfiles.com/get/icopy.html
    >>> --
    >>> Cheers!
    >>>
    >>> Jan

  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Thanks RSD,
    I had tried so many programs that were not really freeware, or didn't
    work well at all. These recommendations save me hours of test-hopping some
    so-so programs.
    ICarbon looks like a good solution for me right now, but I'll save this
    link.
    Thanks very much for your help...
    Al Camp

    "RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote in message
    > Snapfiles seems to have some kind of problem ... you might
    > have better "luck" going direct:
    >
    > http://www.idev.ch/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=87
    > &func=fileinfo&parent=category&filecatid=6
    >
    > You should also try the freeware 'Photocopier' and payware
    > 'Photocopier Pro' from Nico Cuppen. The freeware version
    > doesn't do the "one button" stuff (as far as I know) but the
    > payware 'Pro' version can be set up that way.
    >
    > http://www.nicocuppen.com
    >

    > "AlCamp" <anon@anon.net> wrote in message
    >> Jan,
    >> Tried to download ICopy (now called ICarbon) via the
    > SnapFiles link you
    >> provided, but got a "Site not found" message repeatedly.
    >> Sounds like a dead end on that, but thank you for
    > trying to help.
    >> Al Camp

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Check out Art-Copy @ http://www.scanhelp.com

    --
    Thanks,

    Clarence Klopfstein
    PH: 513-528-6660
    Fax: 513-528-3470

    >I have an Epson 1660 Perfection Scanner running Twain via USB 2.0.
    > The scanner may be "Perfection", but the software certainly isn't! While
    > I have a "one button" copy feature on the scanner, the software won't
    > allow for customizing the "default" copy settings. (Color/BW, Darkness,
    > Pic/Text, etc..) The copy results are of pretty poor quality.
    >
    > I don't use the scanner much for pictures and OCR etc... so the Smart
    > Panel software that comes with the scanner should be sufficient for those
    > needs.
    >
    > However, I really need to use the scanner as a "Copier" (to my printer)...
    > and Smart Panel is pretty useless in that regard.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a freeware program that would allow me to quickly bang
    > out a copy? One that would allow for a little customization?
    >
    > If not, are there any commercial products that I could use to replace
    > Smart Panel altogether?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Al Camp

  8. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    FYI... After some thought, iCarbon seemed like something I could use, so
    downloaded and installed. Immediately gave problems -- couldn't find the
    printer and kept getting the following error on every application that
    feasibly used a printer:

    "Spooler subsystem app has encountered a problem and needs to close"

    Went to printer settings and both printers (HP laserjet and HP Deskjet) were
    "gone" After much trial, got instructions from Microsoft's website that
    pertained to the error, KB #324757. Took a lot of effort to edit the
    Registry without being able to print out the instructions. But after
    reinstalling both printers (the final step of instructions), all now seems
    OK. Others apparently have had success with iCarbon, but I'll pass. Too
    bad!

    > Thanks RSD,
    > I had tried so many programs that were not really freeware, or didn't
    > work well at all. These recommendations save me hours of test-hopping
    > some so-so programs.
    > ICarbon looks like a good solution for me right now, but I'll save this
    > link.
    > Thanks very much for your help...
    > Al Camp
    >
    > "RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote in message
    >> Snapfiles seems to have some kind of problem ... you might
    >> have better "luck" going direct:
    >>
    >> http://www.idev.ch/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=87
    >> &func=fileinfo&parent=category&filecatid=6
    >>
    >> You should also try the freeware 'Photocopier' and payware
    >> 'Photocopier Pro' from Nico Cuppen. The freeware version
    >> doesn't do the "one button" stuff (as far as I know) but the
    >> payware 'Pro' version can be set up that way.
    >>
    >> http://www.nicocuppen.com
    >>

    >> "AlCamp" <anon@anon.net> wrote in message
    >>> Jan,
    >>> Tried to download ICopy (now called ICarbon) via the
    >> SnapFiles link you
    >>> provided, but got a "Site not found" message repeatedly.
    >>> Sounds like a dead end on that, but thank you for
    >> trying to help.
    >>> Al Camp

  9. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Interesting .... I had problems with it finding the scanner.

    FWIW: I've had *no* problems with the freeware 'Photocopier'
    from Nico Cuppen.

    > FYI... After some thought, iCarbon seemed like something
    I could use, so
    > downloaded and installed. Immediately gave problems --
    couldn't find the
    > printer and kept getting the following error on every
    application that
    > feasibly used a printer:
    >
    > "Spooler subsystem app has encountered a problem and needs
    to close"

    > Went to printer settings and both printers (HP laserjet
    and HP Deskjet) were
    > "gone" After much trial, got instructions from
    Microsoft's website that
    > pertained to the error, KB #324757. Took a lot of effort
    to edit the
    > Registry without being able to print out the instructions.
    But after
    > reinstalling both printers (the final step of
    instructions), all now seems
    > OK. Others apparently have had success with iCarbon, but
    I'll pass. Too
    > bad!
    >

    > "AlCamp" <anon@anon.net> wrote in message
    > > Thanks RSD,
    > > I had tried so many programs that were not really
    freeware, or didn't
    > > work well at all. These recommendations save me hours
    of test-hopping
    > > some so-so programs.
    > > ICarbon looks like a good solution for me right now,
    but I'll save this
    > > link.
    > > Thanks very much for your help...
    > > Al Camp
    > >
    > > "RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote in message
    > >> Snapfiles seems to have some kind of problem ... you
    might
    > >> have better "luck" going direct:

    http://www.idev.ch/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=87
    > >> &func=fileinfo&parent=category&filecatid=6
    > >>
    > >> You should also try the freeware 'Photocopier' and
    payware
    > >> 'Photocopier Pro' from Nico Cuppen. The freeware
    version
    > >> doesn't do the "one button" stuff (as far as I know)
    but the
    > >> payware 'Pro' version can be set up that way.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.nicocuppen.com
    > >>

    > >> "AlCamp" <anon@anon.net> wrote in message
    the
    > >> SnapFiles link you
    repeatedly.
    > >> trying to help.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Well, I also downloaded the freeware "Photocopier" as well as the "Pro"
    version. But I'm gun-shy now, have to give this some thought before acting.
    The freeware version would do whatever I needed; but the pro version might
    be more carefully programmed.

    > Interesting .... I had problems with it finding the scanner.
    >
    > FWIW: I've had *no* problems with the freeware 'Photocopier'
    > from Nico Cuppen.
    >

    > "Gene Hora" <ams34@san.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> FYI... After some thought, iCarbon seemed like something
    > I could use, so
    >> downloaded and installed. Immediately gave problems --
    > couldn't find the
    >> printer and kept getting the following error on every
    > application that
    >> feasibly used a printer:
    >>
    >> "Spooler subsystem app has encountered a problem and needs
    > to close"
    >>
    >> Went to printer settings and both printers (HP laserjet
    > and HP Deskjet) were
    >> "gone" After much trial, got instructions from
    > Microsoft's website that
    >> pertained to the error, KB #324757. Took a lot of effort
    > to edit the
    >> Registry without being able to print out the instructions.
    > But after
    >> reinstalling both printers (the final step of
    > instructions), all now seems
    >> OK. Others apparently have had success with iCarbon, but
    > I'll pass. Too
    >> bad!
    >>

    >> "AlCamp" <anon@anon.net> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks RSD,
    >> > I had tried so many programs that were not really
    > freeware, or didn't
    >> > work well at all. These recommendations save me hours
    > of test-hopping
    >> > some so-so programs.
    >> > ICarbon looks like a good solution for me right now,
    > but I'll save this
    >> > link.
    >> > Thanks very much for your help...
    >> > Al Camp
    >> >
    >> > "RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote in message
    > might
    >> >>

    > http://www.idev.ch/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=87

    > payware
    > version
    > but the

    > the
    > repeatedly.

  11. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    Gene,
    Sorry to hear about all the bugs. I tested ICarbon a few times, and had
    no problems. I'm running XP w/SP2.
    I'll probably give Photocopier a try too.
    Thanks to all who waded in on this. Good "meat and potatoes"
    information!!
    Al Camp

    "Gene Hora" <ams34@san.rr.com> wrote in message
    > FYI... After some thought, iCarbon seemed like something I could use, so
    > downloaded and installed. Immediately gave problems -- couldn't find the
    > printer and kept getting the following error on every application that
    > feasibly used a printer:
    >
    > "Spooler subsystem app has encountered a problem and needs to close"
    >
    > Went to printer settings and both printers (HP laserjet and HP Deskjet)
    > were "gone" After much trial, got instructions from Microsoft's website
    > that pertained to the error, KB #324757. Took a lot of effort to edit the
    > Registry without being able to print out the instructions. But after
    > reinstalling both printers (the final step of instructions), all now seems
    > OK. Others apparently have had success with iCarbon, but I'll pass. Too
    > bad!
    >

    > "AlCamp" <anon@anon.net> wrote in message
    >> Thanks RSD,
    >> I had tried so many programs that were not really freeware, or didn't
    >> work well at all. These recommendations save me hours of test-hopping
    >> some so-so programs.
    >> ICarbon looks like a good solution for me right now, but I'll save this
    >> link.
    >> Thanks very much for your help...
    >> Al Camp
    >>
    >> "RSD99" <rsdwla.NOSPAM@gte.net> wrote in message
    >>> Snapfiles seems to have some kind of problem ... you might
    >>> have better "luck" going direct:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.idev.ch/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=87
    >>> &func=fileinfo&parent=category&filecatid=6
    >>>
    >>> You should also try the freeware 'Photocopier' and payware
    >>> 'Photocopier Pro' from Nico Cuppen. The freeware version
    >>> doesn't do the "one button" stuff (as far as I know) but the
    >>> payware 'Pro' version can be set up that way.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.nicocuppen.com
    >>>

    >>> "AlCamp" <anon@anon.net> wrote in message
    >>> SnapFiles link you
    >>> trying to help.

  12. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    check scanner software at:
    http://www.download.com/Scanners/3150-2118_4-0.html?tag=stbc.gp

    "AlCamp" <anon@anon.net> escreveu na mensagem
    > I have an Epson 1660 Perfection Scanner running Twain via USB 2.0.
    > The scanner may be "Perfection", but the software certainly isn't! While
    > have a "one button" copy feature on the scanner, the software won't allow
    > for customizing the "default" copy settings. (Color/BW, Darkness,
    Pic/Text,
    > etc..) The copy results are of pretty poor quality.
    >
    > I don't use the scanner much for pictures and OCR etc... so the Smart
    Panel
    > software that comes with the scanner should be sufficient for those needs.
    >
    > However, I really need to use the scanner as a "Copier" (to my printer)...
    > and Smart Panel is pretty useless in that regard.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest a freeware program that would allow me to quickly bang
    > out a copy? One that would allow for a little customization?
    >
    > If not, are there any commercial products that I could use to replace
    Smart
    > Panel altogether?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Al Camp