Need WEP Passphrase

Last response: in Wireless Networking
September 15, 2005 3:31:29 PM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

Hello-

I am on a 2 computer network and I replaced a broken wireless card.
Now it is asking me for the WEP passphrase. I am the "2nd computer",
not the access point. I do have access to the access point computer.
This network was set up by someone and cant get a hold of them to get
the passphrase. It says I am conntected to the network and have a
strong signal, but cant connect to the internet at all. So I am
assuming I need the passphrase. I do have the SSID (?) How can i get
it from the other computer, or can I just re-configure the whole thing
since I have acces to the the acces point.

Thanks!

More about : wep passphrase

Anonymous
September 15, 2005 9:59:27 PM

Bert Hyman wrote:
> sabaaka@earthlink.net () wrote in
>
> > How can i get it from the other computer, or can I just
> > re-configure the whole thing since I have acces to the the acces
> > point.
>
> I'm guessing that the manangement interface of your AP and the config
> utility on your one working PC won't let you see the key in the clear
> or you wouldn't be asking this question, so resetting would seem to
> be the only other option.
>
> --
> Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@iphouse.com

Thanks for all the replys. Your're correct, I cant see the password,
its just all dots. So at that point, I can just enter any passphrase i
choose and that is all? Just want to know exactly what I need to do so
that i dont make it worse and the access point computers internet
connection stops working as well.

Thanks!
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 12:17:44 AM

Archived from groups: (More info?)

> it from the other computer, or can I just re-configure the whole thing
> since I have acces to the the acces point.

Probably the easiest option.
September 16, 2005 12:19:12 AM

On 15-Sep-2005, sabaaka@earthlink.net wrote:

> Hello-
>
> I am on a 2 computer network and I replaced a broken wireless card.
> Now it is asking me for the WEP passphrase. I am the "2nd computer",
> not the access point. I do have access to the access point computer.
> This network was set up by someone and cant get a hold of them to get
> the passphrase. It says I am conntected to the network and have a
> strong signal, but cant connect to the internet at all. So I am
> assuming I need the passphrase. I do have the SSID (?) How can i get
> it from the other computer, or can I just re-configure the whole thing
> since I have acces to the the acces point.
>
> Thanks!

Providing that you are not someone attempting to gain unauthorized access to
someone else's wireless network and because you indicated that you "do have
access to the access point", then I would recommend that you reset the
access point, enter the APs menu and enter your own WEP key.

--
Just Me, D
Anonymous

Archived from groups: (More info?)

sabaaka@earthlink.net () wrote in

> How can i get it from the other computer, or can I just
> re-configure the whole thing since I have acces to the the acces
> point.

I'm guessing that the manangement interface of your AP and the config
utility on your one working PC won't let you see the key in the clear
or you wouldn't be asking this question, so resetting would seem to
be the only other option.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@iphouse.com
February 9, 2006 7:30:13 PM

Google "Password viewer" there is a little know utility that will show what's under the ********

It comes in handy.
February 17, 2006 8:54:40 PM

disconnect from that network & connect to your own network ... that's how you can solve the problem .. connecting to somebodys network is not advisable ...
!