Microsoft Shutting Down Halo 2 PC Multiplayer Servers in Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartanmk2

Honorable
May 11, 2012
I totally forgot that halo 2 was on pc... when it came out i had XP and saw the requirement for Vista and said forget it... needless to say, i did not know about the xp hack back then :(

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
Wait, even Halo 1 still has servers for it going, I just checked and I still find matches for it...Will 1 be shut down too, or will 2 be shut down before 1?

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Just stick the server software in a virtual machine along with other games that get little traffic and call it good. That way people can still get a game or two in once in a while when the "nostalgia" bug kicks in lol

InvalidError

Titan
Gotta love centralized multi-player servers as DRM or kill-switch as a method to force players to either migrate to newer versions of a given game or buy/play something else. Also somewhat like the ultimate way of killing the 2nd-hand market since your old games become unplayable and worthless.

samwelaye

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
[citation][nom]InvalidError[/nom]Gotta love centralized multi-player servers as DRM or kill-switch as a method to force players to either migrate to newer versions of a given game or buy/play something else. Also somewhat like the ultimate way of killing the 2nd-hand market since your old games become unplayable and worthless.[/citation]

People will host their own games, not microsoft/343 industries. you can still play it online... game is just hosted locally instead of on a different server so however is hosting theoretically has an advantage. guess thats the price to pay when only TWENTY people want to play anyways

azurehobo

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
[citation][nom]samwelaye[/nom]People will host their own games, not microsoft/343 industries. you can still play it online... game is just hosted locally instead of on a different server so however is hosting theoretically has an advantage. guess thats the price to pay when only TWENTY people want to play anyways[/citation]

Actually you can run the server software off your owning machine to create your own server for online play. What is happening here is that the master server will be shit down, so you won't be able to populate the server browser list through normal means. XBC, XKAI, or any VPN will allow players to host internet LAN games forever.

Also for those wondering, Halo 2 Vista's master server is run by MS, while the Halo 1 PC master sever is run by GameSpy (or their new owner who plans on shutting the servers down soon).

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
At least the PC servers lasted a lot longer than the Xbox Live servers.

I played Halo 2 the day it came out for Xbox, and I played the day they shutdown its Live servers. I don't think I'll be able to say the same for PC though, having only played while in my computer class, back in high school, along with everyone else who wasn't doing their work...

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]Wait, even Halo 1 still has servers for it going, I just checked and I still find matches for it...Will 1 be shut down too, or will 2 be shut down before 1?[/citation]

IIRC Gamyspy was planning on shutting down the Halo 1 server along with several other older titles.

d1rtyd1z619

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Ah I remember when I worked at a certian office suppy store (O****e D***t) and I used to hook all the comps we sold together and had a mini lan deathmatch with other employees and customers. Good times when companies loved their employyes.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
i still play halo 1 on pc from time to time, but havent played halo 2 in ages. if players are peaking at then theres really no reason to keep the servers alive. i just hope halo 1 stays longer.

Spooderman

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
[citation][nom]arlon356[/nom]my roomate's mother makes $75/hr on the internet. She has been fired from work for ten months but last month her paycheck was $21621 just working on the internet for a few hours. Go to this web site and read more http://xurl.es/q5jki[/citation]

No thanks, I already have a virus. I don't need another one.

mattmock

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
I liked halo 2 but the pc version had some issues. The fov was really narrow and if you had a 120hz monitor it broke the the game. Running above 60 fps caused weird behavior and the game relied on v-sync to control the framerate. I guess the fps limited in the nvidia control panel could be used now.

amoralman

Honorable
May 20, 2012
This is exactly why Always-Online DRM are a scam and people should boycott any game using it. Imagine what happens in a few years when D3 servers go down? Because you know how stable is the game business right?

God I hate where it's going...

G

Microsoft have ruined their best game!

If they weren’t so up their own ass and trying to shove vista down PC gamers throats people would have actually bought this game. By the time 7 came out it was too late.

Now we have to use these ridiculous “controllers” to attempt to aim at poor graphics. I am never buying a console. Microsoft, I am never buying your products again.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
XP Hack only worked for the campaign, not the multiplayer. If the game would not have been Vista only, it would have had a very strong following, like Halo 1 on the PC still has.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Sorry, Halo 2 sucked. I don't care. I'm surprised it's even still played. The online experience is what killed it for me. If it was like Halo 1 for PC, maybe with a little bit better filtering options, it would've taken off.

Can we get Halo 3, ODST, Reach and Halo 4 to PC??? You can require Windows 8, I don't care, I'll buy the $5 Start8 app, just do it!!!

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]calmstateofmind[/nom]At least the PC servers lasted a lot longer than the Xbox Live servers. I played Halo 2 the day it came out for Xbox, and I played the day they shutdown its Live servers. I don't think I'll be able to say the same for PC though, having only played while in my computer class, back in high school, along with everyone else who wasn't doing their work...[/citation]

Well maybe if you had done your part by playing more than 2 days. :)

G

I waited quite awhile for Halo 2 to come to PC, mostly for the multiplayer, but stopped caring after awhile. 2.5 years is way too long.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
any PC gamers care to play Halo on PC is not a real pc gamer... Especially there are so many FPS on PC that are much better than Halo...

s997863

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
odd. those 20 players have wayyy better options on PC platform than mediocre console FPSs. they can play tribes-ascend for free. if their PC hardware is very old, they can play the original unreal-tournament very cheap. I think you can even search for halo matches on gameranger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS