Installing Drivers

mthomas99

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
What's the best way to go about a fresh install of windows 7?

Every time I do it - Win installs the graphics card driver for my 8800gts 320. Whats the best way to fully clean off those windows drivers and install the nvidia drivers?

I have used two diff methods so far. Uninstall the device in device manager and then install nvidia (after restart) and I have used the "update" driver option in device manager.

Which is recommended? Also is it recommended to install any windows 7 updates? I noticed there were tons of individual win 7 64bit individual updates, and then there was the service pack like three days later. Is it advised to download any of these? after my last clean install I installed some of the updates initially, then when win 7 sp1 showed in the update list I failed at installing due to 800070005 error - which meant it thought I didn't have permission. I am the only user account on the PC and the admin.

I have an asus p8p67 le. Onboard sound / lan and an 8800gts 320.

Is it recommended to use the lan driver from ASUS or straight off realtek site? I used the audio, chipset, and lan drivers off ASUS web site last three installs of windows 7.

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
1. clean install win7
2. download and install all updates
3. download and install service pack 1
4. download and install Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST) drivers for SSD's.
5. download and install GPU drivers (go to manufacture web site)

Make sure you set your motherboard to AHCI mode prior to installation.
This is the suggested order recommended by Intel. Google "Intel driver installation".
Good Luck

mthomas99

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
do you uninstall the generic video drivers provided by WINDOWS during windows 7 installation? I'm assuming motherboard chipset and lan drivers come before all updates and service pack 1?

gerry410

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

Ya know I never got this 2nd question from you. I would have said no to uninstalling the drivers during install. Probably can't anyway. i guess you know that now.
I'm very curious to know how things turned out. please let me know.