Sign in with
Your question

Lowest temperature that a system will operate?

Last response: in CPUs
October 21, 2006 3:56:43 PM

Hey, I live in minnesota and it routinely gets way below freezing in winter. I was wondering if I could harness this cold air by funneling it through a window and into my system. Would that be very safe? Does anyone know at what point cold air can be a problem to computers.

asus p5w deluxe
Core 2 6600
7950 GX2
2gigs Corsair
70 gb raptor
150 gb wd
October 21, 2006 4:25:59 PM

Quote:
Hey, I live in minnesota and it routinely gets way below freezing in winter. I was wondering if I could harness this cold air by funneling it through a window and into my system. Would that be very safe? Does anyone know at what point cold air can be a problem to computers.

asus p5w deluxe
Core 2 6600
7950 GX2
2gigs Corsair
70 gb raptor
150 gb wd
Overclockers routinely cool their CPU's, GPU's and chipset's with LN2(Liquid Nitrogen)or Dry Ice and sometimes mixed with solvents to lower the temp further to ~ -195C. Hard-drives could be a problem at extremely cold temps, though, so i would keep them sheilded from the cold air(as much as possible). The other problem with plumbing in the freezing outside air is condensation/dampness. It would be hard to control that from entering your case, and could wreck havok with your hardware. Good idea, but not as simple and straightforward as it would seem. GL :) 
October 21, 2006 6:08:22 PM

Quote:

asus p5w deluxe
Core 2 6600
7950 GX2
2gigs Corsair
70 gb raptor
150 gb wd
Overclockers routinely cool their CPU's, GPU's and chipset's with LN2(Liquid Nitrogen)or Dry Ice and sometimes mixed with solvents to lower the temp further to ~ -195C. Hard-drives could be a problem at extremely cold temps, though, so i would keep them sheilded from the cold air(as much as possible). The other problem with plumbing in the freezing outside air is condensation/dampness. It would be hard to control that from entering your case, and could wreck havok with your hardware. Good idea, but not as simple and straightforward as it would seem. GL :) 

Exactly what Tanker said: Condensation would kill the system.

Its a neat idea, and could be worked, but not easily. When I lived up north, I used to leave the window in the computer room open a crack to keep the ambient temperature down. Ambient plays a critical role in system temp for air cooled systems.

If you really wanted to play with this, there are a couple of things you could do, based on a heat exchange system. With heat exchange, you are not actually exposing the system to the variable elements.
The easiest way would be to take a retail liquid cooling system and extend the lines to place the radiator outside. Basically a "central cooling" system for you computer.

Theres some other ways you could play with it, but they get more complex, consuming more time and money.
!