Installing XP Pro *over* Win2k...bad idea?

I just rebuilt one of my desktops, and installed XP Pro on it as a
complete fresh install. Works fine.

I have a laptop running Win2k.

Is it possible to install XP over Win2k so that it replaces Win2k?

I really odn't want to reinstall all the software on the laptop...so I
was hoping XP Pro could supercede Win2k...

Is there a procedure for this in XP install?

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about installing over win2k idea

    Yes, but you can't use the same copy that you installed on the desktop.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    "Harry Krause" <harry.krause@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I just rebuilt one of my desktops, and installed XP Pro on it as a complete
    >fresh install. Works fine.
    >
    > I have a laptop running Win2k.
    >
    > Is it possible to install XP over Win2k so that it replaces Win2k?
    >
    > I really odn't want to reinstall all the software on the laptop...so I was
    > hoping XP Pro could supercede Win2k...
    >
    > Is there a procedure for this in XP install?
    >
    > Thanks

    Hi Harry,

    > Is it possible to install XP over Win2k so that it replaces Win2k?

    Yes. It's called an upgrade. This can be done with an upgrade or retail full
    edition, but not an OEM full version.

    > I really odn't want to reinstall all the software on the laptop...so I was
    > hoping XP Pro could supercede Win2k...

    Well, sometimes wishes come true.

    > Is there a procedure for this in XP install?

    Boot Win2K, insert the WinXP CD, follow the upgrade prompts. Note that to
    upgrade Win2K, you must use WinXP Pro (Home edition will not work). Also,
    you must have one copy of WinXP for each system that you want to install it
    on, you can't reuse the same disk and product key on multiple systems.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Harry Krause schrieb:
    > I just rebuilt one of my desktops, and installed XP Pro on it as a
    > complete fresh install. Works fine.
    >
    > I have a laptop running Win2k.
    >
    > Is it possible to install XP over Win2k so that it replaces Win2k?
    >
    > I really odn't want to reinstall all the software on the laptop...so I
    > was hoping XP Pro could supercede Win2k...
    >
    > Is there a procedure for this in XP install?
    >
    > Thanks

    it's possible, but i would never recommend an UPGRADE to windows xp
    based upon whatever version of windows... NEVER... because doing an
    upgrade windows will always use "old" components from the prior windows
    and will never be installed as clean as on a formated hdd

    In news:ulZXu6l2EHA.824@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
    Harry Krause <harry.krause@gmail.com> typed:

    >I just rebuilt one of my desktops, and installed XP Pro on it as
    > complete fresh install. Works fine.
    >
    > I have a laptop running Win2k.
    >
    > Is it possible to install XP over Win2k so that it replaces
    > Win2k?

    Yes, but bear several things in mind:

    1. You can do this only with a retail copy (either Full or
    Upgrade), not an OEM one. OEM versions can't be used for
    upgrades.

    2. You need a second copy of XP. You can't use the one you have
    on the desktop on two machines.

    3. Doing an upgrade instead of a clean installation is fine, and
    almost always works well. Howewver, be aware that it's possible
    that something *can* go wrong, and you should therefore make sure
    you have the installation CDs for all your software, and backups
    of all your data--just in case.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > I really odn't want to reinstall all the software on the
    > laptop...so I
    > was hoping XP Pro could supercede Win2k...
    >
    > Is there a procedure for this in XP install?
    >
    > Thanks

Laptops Microsoft Windows XP