Installing XP Pro *over* Win2k...bad idea?

I just rebuilt one of my desktops, and installed XP Pro on it as a
complete fresh install. Works fine.

I have a laptop running Win2k.

Is it possible to install XP over Win2k so that it replaces Win2k?

I really odn't want to reinstall all the software on the laptop...so I
was hoping XP Pro could supercede Win2k...

Is there a procedure for this in XP install?

Thanks

Yes, but you can't use the same copy that you installed on the desktop.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"Harry Krause" <harry.krause@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I just rebuilt one of my desktops, and installed XP Pro on it as a complete
>fresh install. Works fine.
>
> I have a laptop running Win2k.
>
> Is it possible to install XP over Win2k so that it replaces Win2k?
>
> I really odn't want to reinstall all the software on the laptop...so I was
> hoping XP Pro could supercede Win2k...
>
> Is there a procedure for this in XP install?
>
> Thanks

Hi Harry,

> Is it possible to install XP over Win2k so that it replaces Win2k?

Yes. It's called an upgrade. This can be done with an upgrade or retail full
edition, but not an OEM full version.

> I really odn't want to reinstall all the software on the laptop...so I was
> hoping XP Pro could supercede Win2k...

Well, sometimes wishes come true.

> Is there a procedure for this in XP install?

Boot Win2K, insert the WinXP CD, follow the upgrade prompts. Note that to
upgrade Win2K, you must use WinXP Pro (Home edition will not work). Also,
you must have one copy of WinXP for each system that you want to install it
on, you can't reuse the same disk and product key on multiple systems.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Harry Krause schrieb:
> I just rebuilt one of my desktops, and installed XP Pro on it as a
> complete fresh install. Works fine.
>
> I have a laptop running Win2k.
>
> Is it possible to install XP over Win2k so that it replaces Win2k?
>
> I really odn't want to reinstall all the software on the laptop...so I
> was hoping XP Pro could supercede Win2k...
>
> Is there a procedure for this in XP install?
>
> Thanks

it's possible, but i would never recommend an UPGRADE to windows xp
based upon whatever version of windows... NEVER... because doing an
upgrade windows will always use "old" components from the prior windows
and will never be installed as clean as on a formated hdd

In news:ulZXu6l2EHA.824@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
Harry Krause <harry.krause@gmail.com> typed:

>I just rebuilt one of my desktops, and installed XP Pro on it as
> complete fresh install. Works fine.
>
> I have a laptop running Win2k.
>
> Is it possible to install XP over Win2k so that it replaces
> Win2k?

Yes, but bear several things in mind:

1. You can do this only with a retail copy (either Full or
Upgrade), not an OEM one. OEM versions can't be used for
upgrades.

2. You need a second copy of XP. You can't use the one you have
on the desktop on two machines.

3. Doing an upgrade instead of a clean installation is fine, and
almost always works well. Howewver, be aware that it's possible
that something *can* go wrong, and you should therefore make sure
you have the installation CDs for all your software, and backups
of all your data--just in case.

Please reply to the newsgroup