What are acceptable temps for e6400? Xbitlabs confusing me!

JBS181818

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I just installed my core 2 system with the stock heatsink. I have a new one on the way, but for now its stock. According to the bios, it idles at around 42. According to speedfan, its around 52-55 under load. From what people say about their systems, I thought this was pretty high. But xbitlabs.com posted a test of a new heatsink, and they practically got these exact numbers.
22_diagr_intel.png

Whats the deal? Are my temps and the temps in the xbitlabs chart normal or high? I just ordered a Scythe SCNJ-1100P. Its the Ninja plus. what difference do you think it will make for me. thanks for the help.

Use the thermal analysis tool (TAT) to give you an idea of temp, it matches with everest temps if you already have that. Speedfan is not reporting true temp. (neither does TAT or anything else, but TAT seems to be best). The stock HSF is quite good and will allow some overclocking (not sure how much), my 6600 idles at 34-37 according to TAT, load 48-50 depending on how I am applying the load.

In fact look at the thread of core 2 duo temps, it will give you an idea of what people are getting.

Most common problem with the stock HSF is that it has been installed incorrectly and there is bad contact between the HSF and the CPU hence high temps.

JBS181818

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
yea i hated install that heatsink. Its very different from my old athlon 64 4000+. That was just put in on and clip it down. I don't think there is anything too bad about my temps, assuming they are accurate. I think they are since the bios stated 42 at idle. I'm just gonna wait to mess with it till i get my new heatsink. When i get that, if the temps are good, i'll start overclocking. thanks for the help.

GreenJelly

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I am so close to getting .5 Kelvin on my e6400...

Now all I have to do is buy a e6400, and the equipment to get it down that cold...

I dont think my watercooling system can do it yet:(