nVidia nForce 680i Chipsets For Quad. Where are Them? HERE!

Division

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Might as well get a new thread started for the new intel Quad core mobo. So far its rumored to be available early November and will also have much better overclocking capabilities than their last 590 intel edition.

NVIDIA is set to release its upcoming nForce 600 series of chipsets in the first half of November. DailyTech has come across more details of the upcoming chipsets including the nForce 680i SLI, 650i SLI and 650i Ultra—all for Intel’s land-grid-array 775 socket. At the top of the nForce 600 chain is the nForce 680i SLI MCP. This chipset will be replacing the limited availability nForce 590 SLI Intel Edition that was announced last June. The nForce 590 SLI Intel Edition had problems with overclocking the front-side bus past Intel’s rated 1066 MHz.

NVIDIA has remedied this situation and the nForce 680i SLI will officially support a 1333 MHz front-side bus. Whether or not this will support Intel’s upcoming Conroe 1333 MHz front-side bus refresh is unknown. Nevertheless, the supported 1333 MHz front-side bus will allow overclockers greater headroom with current overclocking friendly Core 2 Duo processors. NVIDIA has improved the dual-channel memory controller as well. The nForce 680i SLI’s memory controller now has memory dividers capable of support DDR2-1200 memory. Also supported is NVIDIA’s SLI-Ready memory with Enhanced Performance Profiles.

Graphics expansion will be a key point of nForce 680i SLI motherboards. In addition to the two full-speed PCI Express x16 slots, nForce 680i SLI motherboards will have a third PCI Express slot for NVIDIA’s unannounced three-GPU applications. This will most likely be a form of HavokFX SLI physics processing to counter ATI’s upcoming triple-play physics processing. The third slot will electrically have eight lanes routed to it.

On the networking side of things is the return of NVIDIA’s native Gigabit Ethernet, FirstPacket, DualNet and TCP/IP acceleration technologies. These features previously debuted with the nForce 590 SLI and remain the same on the nForce 680i SLI. High definition audio and six SATA 3 Gb/s ports with NVIDIA MediaShield storage technology are supported too. RAID levels 0, 1, 0+1 and 5 are also supported with the nForce 680i SLI.

Targeting budget conscious users are the nForce 650i SLI and 650i Ultra. These chipset are not officially rated to run at 1333 MHz front-side bus, though NVIDIA claims the chipsets can clock beyond official specifications with overclocking. Unlike the nForce 680i SLI, the 650i SLI only supports two PCI Express x16 slots in dual eight lane configurations. These two chipsets are identical with the nForce 650i SLI endowed with SLI support while the 650i Ultra only supports single-graphics card configurations.

The nForce 650i SLI and 650i Ultra have dual-channel DDR2 memory controllers, though there’s no official support for DDR2-1200 or SLI-Ready memory with Enhanced Performance Profiles. It is unknown if motherboard manufacturers will be able to expose the same memory dividers as the ones available on nForce 680i SLI motherboards.

Storage features have been stripped on the nForce 650i SLI and 650i Ultra as well. Instead of the six SATA 3 Gb/s ports found on the nForce 680i SLI, the 650i SLI and 650i Ultra are limited to four SATA 3 Gb/s ports. Nevertheless, NVIDIA’s MediaShield storage technology is still available with support for RAID 0, 1, 0+1 and 5 configurations.

Networking features are also crippled with the nForce 650i SLI and 650i Ultra. Although native Gigabit Ethernet and FirstPacket are supported with the nForce 650i SLI and 650i Ultra, the DualNet and TCP/IP acceleration features are unavailable. As with the nForce 680i SLI, high definition audio technology is supported too.

All nForce 600 series motherboards will support NVIDIA’s nTune utility that allows system tweaking within Windows. The utility allows CPU and memory adjustments in Windows without the need to restart.

NVIDIA is expected to launch in early November with immediate motherboard availability. Expect pricing on nForce 680i SLI motherboards to be north of $200 while nForce 650i SLI and 650i Ultra will fill in the below-$150 price points.

Can't wait for this one. I need to do some serious overclocking and this one looks to be a fine candidate to do just that.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
That looks pretty tasty, might be enough of a reason for me to upgrade to a Core 2. If it really does achieve some amazing overclock results i think it's a deffo.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
I've just checked zeus.asus.com... its appears to be where asus do their webpage development.. and where the 590 chipset mobo page was up weeks before going live on the production asus website.

No sign of the 680i chipset mobo's page yet.

Maybe asus won't make a 680i chipset board as they already have the 590.

McParty

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
This looks to be the one I've been waiting for, built for dual core, upgradable to quad core and has SLi with the " Physics slot" or 3rd GPU slot. OK... I want it! ASAP. I'll be watching this string for sure for updates.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I realized that if I had 3 dual-slot GPU's in my comp, I can't use any of the other PCI ports... ugh.

They really need to extend mobo's soon... but then again, if I don't go SLI/Xfire with Physics card then it wouldn' be a problem, but it would definitly put a hamper on upgrades in the future.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I realized that if I had 3 dual-slot GPU's in my comp, I can't use any of the other PCI ports... ugh.

They really need to extend mobo's soon... but then again, if I don't go SLI/Xfire with Physics card then it wouldn' be a problem, but it would definitly put a hamper on upgrades in the future.

Division

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
In my current rig with the 590 board I got Quad SLI and the SB Xi-Fi Fatality sound card.....and absoluetly no room for anything else.

With Quad a physics card is pretty much pointless (well, IMO pointless anyway). Its just another GPU and has only shown to provide any performace gains in a very limited number of games. If anyone knows of some reviews / benchmarks I'd love a link.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
In my current rig with the 590 board I got Quad SLI and the SB Xi-Fi Fatality sound card.....and absoluetly no room for anything else.

With Quad a physics card is pretty much pointless (well, IMO pointless anyway). Its just another GPU and has only shown to provide any performace gains in a very limited number of games. If anyone knows of some reviews / benchmarks I'd love a link.

A physics card doesn't improve performance at all, if anything it hampers performance because there are alot more physics calculations to do.
You need a decent card like a x1900xt or above to use a physics card and also have decent fps...all the physics do is enhance eye candy, but you have lower fps when physics is enabled vs when it is not enabled

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
Yeah just about all P965 motherboards with either a bios update or eventually a revision will be able to support Kentsfield, Core 2 Quad, along with 975x boards

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
This looks to be the one I've been waiting for, built for dual core, upgradable to quad core and has SLi with the " Physics slot" or 3rd GPU slot. OK... I want it! ASAP. I'll be watching this string for sure for updates.
I know but what ATI offers is that you can use any card as a physics exclusive card. That way when you upgrade you dont trow away the older one but itll be your physics. Idk is Nvidia will start selling physics cards then...

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
I know but what ATI offers is that you can use any card as a physics exclusive card. That way when you upgrade you dont trow away the older one but itll be your physics. Idk is Nvidia will start selling physics cards then...

Nvidia might already be including physics already on the there 8800GTX/S cards, saving the need to even have a second card at all for physics

McParty

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
Like I've said before.... my main concern is being able to upgrade down the road from dual core to quad core for as little as possible(meaning just the proccessor I hope). And I do mean down the road!!

McParty

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
I have heard for a while that these boards are expected to be released early November.... has anyone heard anything new?? Any expected date yet?? Are any sites offering pre orders yet??

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
They should be out in two weeks, but I havent heard a thing of physics. ATI will use Havok FX technologies to develop their assymetrical settings but ive got no clue on Nvidias plans for physics.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006
They should be out in two weeks, but I havent heard a thing of physics. ATI will use Havok FX technologies to develop their assymetrical settings but ive got no clue on Nvidias plans for physics.

Actually nvidia is the one working with Havok for the physics solutions

NVIDIA and Havok Demonstrate World's First GPU-Powered Game Physics Solution

Physics Simulation on NVIDIA GPUs

Not sure if you got the Havok info backwards but i have only heard of Havok and nVidia teaming up on the physics stuff...

Lastly why i mentioned this as discussed in previous 8800GTX topics is that the odd memory configuration for the 8800GTX which is 768MB or 512+128MB with a bus widths of 256bit and 128bit may indicate that there are two cores and possible the 128mb of memory for the physics calculations...

check this thread which wusy, the one who really offered the dual gpu guess, talks about what the G80 graphics card will have in store for us
Some Info. G80 Specs.( read somewhere )

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
A physics card doesn't improve performance at all, if anything it hampers performance because there are alot more physics calculations to do.
You need a decent card like a x1900xt or above to use a physics card and also have decent fps...all the physics do is enhance eye candy, but you have lower fps when physics is enabled vs when it is not enabled

dude what are you smoking?
Follwing your logic we ought to remove our video cards because they hamper performance by causing a lot more graphics calculations.

The physics card is another processor to take over the physics calculations you're already doing anyway on the CPU. It doesn't create physics calculations for others to do.

Then you follow that up with saying you need a powerful GPU when you have a physics card. Thats crap because its the physics card now doing all the physics calcs which if anything may lighten the GPU's workload.

IcY18

Distinguished
May 1, 2006

dude what are you smoking?
Follwing your logic we ought to remove our video cards because they hamper performance by causing a lot more graphics calculations.

The physics card is another processor to take over the physics calculations you're already doing anyway on the CPU. It doesn't create physics calculations for others to do.

Then you follow that up with saying you need a powerful GPU when you have a physics card. Thats crap because its the physics card now doing all the physics calcs which if anything may lighten the GPU's workload.

When you enable the physics in a game w/ or w/o a PPU your FPS will drop due to the added effects being shown, this is why i said its wiser to have a more powerful card paired with the Ageia, and anyways with its price of like $280 i'm not sure how many people would get it since it can cost more than a good graphics card...and lastly the Ageia physics is the most worthless attempt to get into the PPU segment with such a terrible price, buying an Ageia physics card could be the worst money spent on any computer...

what am i saying and what you don't understand is, when we buy graphics cards, we run them with higher details, and higher resolution therefore sometimes nullifying the gain in fps we could get if we did not, the same is true with a physics card, when we add a physics card we enable more physics which then in turn makes everything look better but performance can still drop...

TRENDING THREADS