Can someone identify this file in my Temp folder ..??

jatmlano.sys I can't find what is associated with, if anything..I
cant delete it..(Being used by program or another user!!)Thanks
13 answers Last reply
More about identify file temp folder

    the only hit on Google
    http://board.protecus.de/showtopic.php?threadid=12863

    <delta@verizon.net> wrote in message

    | jatmlano.sys I can't find what is associated with, if
    anything..I
    | cant delete it..(Being used by program or another
    user!!)Thanks

    Hi

    Have you virus checked your system with the latest definitions for your Anti
    Virus program?

    Also please try these programs to check for any spyware that may be on your
    system:

    Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
    Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/
    CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
    Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com

    Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:

    Also see the following links:

    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

    On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 00:39:50 -0000, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Have you virus checked your system with the latest definitions for your Anti
    >Virus program?
    >
    >Also please try these programs to check for any spyware that may be on your
    >system:
    >
    >Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
    >Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/
    >CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
    >Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com
    >
    >Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:
    >
    >http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
    >
    >Also see the following links:
    >
    >http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    >http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    >http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp

    I run a virus program constantly and use SpyBot and Ad-aware..Do you
    believe this is some sort of virus..??

    > On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 00:39:50 -0000, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>Have you virus checked your system with the latest definitions for your
    >>Anti
    >>Virus program?
    >>
    >>Also please try these programs to check for any spyware that may be on
    >>your
    >>system:
    >>
    >>Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
    >>Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/
    >>CWShredder - http://forum.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
    >>Spy Sweeper - www.webroot.com
    >>
    >>Try SpyWareBlaster to stop intrusions:
    >>
    >>http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
    >>
    >>Also see the following links:
    >>
    >>http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    >>http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    >>http://www.microsoft.com/security/articles/spyware.asp
    >

    > I run a virus program constantly and use SpyBot and Ad-aware..Do you
    > believe this is some sort of virus..??

    Hi

    I don't what that file is - never come across before. If you can, right
    click on it and then select Properties. Anything in there that might
    indentify the file? Try and delete it via a command prompt.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    ....and the translation is :-)

    --

    > the only hit on Google
    > http://board.protecus.de/showtopic.php?threadid=12863
    >

    > <delta@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > |

    > | jatmlano.sys I can't find what is associated with, if
    > anything..I
    > | cant delete it..(Being used by program or another
    > user!!)Thanks

    On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 19:00:33 -0600, "Jim Macklin"
    <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote:

    >the only hit on Google
    >http://board.protecus.de/showtopic.php?threadid=12863

    I found that as well, but don't speak German..It was also in that
    gentlemans temp file as far as I could tell...The only way I am able
    to delete it is with a reboot, then it will delete because something
    else (??) is no longer accessing it....A properties check on the file
    just says its name with no other info to go on..!! Ill keep checking,
    thanks all for the info so far...

    barry

    delta@verizon.net wrote:

    >jatmlano.sys I can't find what is associated with, if anything..I
    >cant delete it..(Being used by program or another user!!)Thanks

    Nothing in your Temp folder should ever been in use by a legitimate
    application or device driver, except while that item is being
    initially installed. Once installed it should delete all of the
    temporary files that it created and all of the files that it needs
    should either be in the program folder or in one of the system folders
    such as \windows\system32.

    I therefore suspect that this file may be related to some form of
    malware that has found its way onto your computer. The fact that a
    google search turns up only a single reference to this file name, in a
    German language security forum, reinforces my suspicion.

    Make certain that your antivirus software is fully up to date, with
    the virus definitions not more than a week old and do a complete virus
    scan of your hard drive. Get a second opinion by doing a free online
    virus scan at http://housecall.trendmicro.com

    Then check for possible spyware on your computer by following the
    steps in MVP Jim Eshelman's Spyware Quick Fix Protocol web page at
    http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

    If these fail to turn up anything then you could try booting your
    computer into Safe Mode and then deleting the file. Booting into
    Safe Mode should bypass the loading of whatever scumware item it is
    that is keeping you from deleting this file.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 03:53:23 GMT, Ron Martell <ron.martell@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >delta@verizon.net wrote:
    >

    >>jatmlano.sys I can't find what is associated with, if anything..I
    >>cant delete it..(Being used by program or another user!!)Thanks
    >

    >Make certain that your antivirus software is fully up to date, with
    >the virus definitions not more than a week old and do a complete virus
    >scan of your hard drive. Get a second opinion by doing a free online
    >virus scan at http://housecall.trendmicro.com

    I went to the Website (thanks) D/L the cab file and it scanned with
    clean results...I was able to delete the file after a reboot but this
    the second time it had reared its head...I'll do a registry search for
    it, as a HD search had negative results...

    Jim Macklin wrote:
    > the only hit on Google
    > http://board.protecus.de/showtopic.php?threadid=12863

    From what I understand of this link somebody else has a problem with the
    connection to internet going down, and all the info is a dump of all
    relevant system info, including startup programs and services. The file
    troubling our OP is listed as 'jatmlano:
    \??\C:\DOKUME~1\Knista\LOKALE~1\Temp\jatmlano.sys (manual start)' under
    services.

    I must agree that the location (temp) looks suspicious. Also, the file
    reappearing after deletion may suggest it is just one of several points of
    infection. It may be a malicious, but recent and/or very little widespread,
    virus or other form of program. If a virus is not very widespread it may not
    be a big priority for AV companies to make a cure for it.

    I would make a _thorough_ manual scan of all startup points in your system,
    including registry, services and even the Start meny startup folder. Also
    check running processes. Do a Google search on every single item you can't
    immediately recognize. The HijackThis logfiles provided in the link above
    can also be a good point for cross reference.

    On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 10:10:30 +0100, "André Gulliksen"
    <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote:

    >Jim Macklin wrote:
    >> the only hit on Google
    >> http://board.protecus.de/showtopic.php?threadid=12863
    >
    >From what I understand of this link somebody else has a problem with the
    >connection to internet going down, and all the info is a dump of all
    >relevant system info, including startup programs and services. The file
    >troubling our OP is listed as 'jatmlano:
    >\??\C:\DOKUME~1\Knista\LOKALE~1\Temp\jatmlano.sys (manual start)' under
    >services.
    >
    >I must agree that the location (temp) looks suspicious. Also, the file
    >reappearing after deletion may suggest it is just one of several points of
    >infection. It may be a malicious, but recent and/or very little widespread,
    >virus or other form of program. If a virus is not very widespread it may not
    >be a big priority for AV companies to make a cure for it.
    >
    >I would make a _thorough_ manual scan of all startup points in your system,
    >including registry, services and even the Start meny startup folder. Also
    >check running processes. Do a Google search on every single item you can't
    >immediately recognize. The HijackThis logfiles provided in the link above
    >can also be a good point for cross reference.

    I have tried to recreate its appearance by running specific
    programs I had running when it had appeared..and of course I cant get
    it to show up again...I'm still trying..!! Thanks All !!

    On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 10:10:30 +0100, "André Gulliksen"
    <andre.gulliksen@start.no> wrote:

    >From what I understand of this link somebody else has a problem with the
    >connection to internet going down, and all the info is a dump of all
    >relevant system info, including startup programs and services. The file
    >troubling our OP is listed as 'jatmlano:
    >\??\C:\DOKUME~1\Knista\LOKALE~1\Temp\jatmlano.sys (manual start)' under
    >services.
    >
    >I must agree that the location (temp) looks suspicious. Also, the file
    >reappearing after deletion may suggest it is just one of several points of
    >infection. It may be a malicious, but recent and/or very little widespread,
    >virus or other form of program. If a virus is not very widespread it may not
    >be a big priority for AV companies to make a cure for it.
    >
    >I would make a _thorough_ manual scan of all startup points in your system,
    >including registry, services and even the Start meny startup folder. Also
    >check running processes. Do a Google search on every single item you can't
    >immediately recognize. The HijackThis logfiles provided in the link above
    >can also be a good point for cross reference.

    I found it in the registry under software/ATI tecnologies/device/0
    ...Following the keys values it deviceitem 0065 non-plug and play items
    driver...I have an ATI card. It also shows up in the registry under
    root/legacy_jatmlano...I don't know what it is but it doesn't look
    like a virus...

    On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 12:48:13 GMT, delta@verizon.net wrote:

    >On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 10:10:30 +0100, "André Gulliksen"

    Not to beat a dead horse but that jatmlano.sys only appears in the
    temp file when I play halflife 2.. It still wont delete until I
    reboot, but I think it had to do with my ATI card..Anyone playing
    Hlflife 2 that can look in their temp file(s) for it..??

    The page appears to refer to the file being found in a log file for
    something called HijackThis. Did a search for that and found that
    HijackThis is a detector and remover for browser hijacker programs (those
    that hijack your home page).
    > ...and the translation is :-)
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    >> the only hit on Google
    >> http://board.protecus.de/showtopic.php?threadid=12863
    >>

    >> <delta@verizon.net> wrote in message
    >> |

    >> | jatmlano.sys I can't find what is associated with, if
    >> anything..I
    >> | cant delete it..(Being used by program or another
    >> user!!)Thanks

Microsoft Windows XP