Scanner for dental x-rays. I need some advice, plaese!

Hi everybody!
I'm interested in bying a scanner for digitizing intraoral dental x-rays
(dimensions: 40mm x 30mm). Normally a film/slide scanner would do the
job, however the dimensions of an intraoral film are slightly bigger
than those of slide (35mm, right?). If it were not for this, I would
have already bought a microtek filmscan 2700 which is cheap, compact
(very important for a dental office) and seems efficient.

How can I surpass the problem of dimensions, without having to invest in
really expensive scanners?
(Please, avoid to inform me about indirect ways of digitizing x-rays,
such as capturing with a digital camera by means of the light-box. I
know all about, it is not functional)

I thank you in advance.

Costas Soros, DDS.
3 answers Last reply
More about scanner dental rays advice plaese

    "Costas Soros" <csoros@dent.auth.gr> wrote in message
    > Hi everybody!
    > I'm interested in bying a scanner for digitizing intraoral dental x-rays
    > (dimensions: 40mm x 30mm). Normally a film/slide scanner would do the job,
    > however the dimensions of an intraoral film are slightly bigger than those
    > of slide (35mm, right?). If it were not for this, I would have already
    > bought a microtek filmscan 2700 which is cheap, compact (very important
    > for a dental office) and seems efficient.
    >
    > How can I surpass the problem of dimensions, without having to invest in
    > really expensive scanners?
    > (Please, avoid to inform me about indirect ways of digitizing x-rays, such
    > as capturing with a digital camera by means of the light-box. I know all
    > about, it is not functional)
    >
    > I thank you in advance.
    >
    > Costas Soros, DDS.

    A medium format film scanner or a flatbed with transparency adapter with
    2.25 X 2.25 inch capacity will do the job.

    --
    CSM1
    http://www.carlmcmillan.com

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 23:23:45 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
    wrote:

    >"Costas Soros" <csoros@dent.auth.gr> wrote in message
    >> Hi everybody!
    >> I'm interested in bying a scanner for digitizing intraoral dental x-rays
    >> (dimensions: 40mm x 30mm). Normally a film/slide scanner would do the job,
    >> however the dimensions of an intraoral film are slightly bigger than those
    >> of slide (35mm, right?). If it were not for this, I would have already
    >> bought a microtek filmscan 2700 which is cheap, compact (very important
    >> for a dental office) and seems efficient.
    >>
    >> How can I surpass the problem of dimensions, without having to invest in
    >> really expensive scanners?
    >> (Please, avoid to inform me about indirect ways of digitizing x-rays, such
    >> as capturing with a digital camera by means of the light-box. I know all
    >> about, it is not functional)
    >>
    >> I thank you in advance.
    >>
    >> Costas Soros, DDS.
    >>
    >A medium format film scanner or a flatbed with transparency adapter with
    >2.25 X 2.25 inch capacity will do the job.
    >
    >--
    >CSM1

    In the absence of a transparency adapter, would not a simple piece of
    white paper + a 1200dpi or 2400dpi flatbed also work?

    MCheu
  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.scanner (More info?)

    "MCheu" <mpcheu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 23:23:45 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Costas Soros" <csoros@dent.auth.gr> wrote in message
    >>> Hi everybody!
    >>> I'm interested in bying a scanner for digitizing intraoral dental
    >>> x-rays
    >>> (dimensions: 40mm x 30mm). >>> I thank you in advance.
    >>>
    >>> Costas Soros, DDS.
    >>>
    >>A medium format film scanner or a flatbed with transparency adapter
    >>with
    >>2.25 X 2.25 inch capacity will do the job.
    >>
    >>--
    >>CSM1
    >
    > In the absence of a transparency adapter, would not a simple piece
    > of
    > white paper + a 1200dpi or 2400dpi flatbed also work?
    >
    > MCheu

    I doubt that enough light would be reflected back from the paper. Most
    would come from the surface of the film. After all, you need a light
    emitting adapter to scan color negatives or slides on a flat-bed
    scanner.

    --
    James V. Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland, USA