JBS181818

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
where are psu voltages supposed to be? I just checked them in speed fan.

+3.3= 3.25
+5= 4.84
+12v= 3.52
-12v= -16.97
-5v= -8.58
+5v= 5.24
vbat= 3.07

all this was taken while under a dual prime stress test. they don't seem right to me. aren't the voltages supposed to be close to what they are rated at? what should i do? its a 500 watt antec. not a cheapo.

JBS181818

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
ok. i just found out that those values were all wrong. speed fan isn't really pulling numbers. those were sample values supposedly. how do i get the real voltages?

stallyn

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2006
You need a plugin load tester and check the voltages with a voltmeter, antec has one with muliple LEDs that check all the rails and also has testing blocks on one side, you can also check in the bios

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
your motherboard cd should have a utility program to monitor the temps and voltages (a little more acurate )
sis sandra if you have the latest patch.
I dont think the free software is acurate.

I

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
The -5V and -12V rails usually aren't used on modern systems, and as a result may be quite off their correct values without it being a problem.

As you noted, you can't use a 3rd party utility to get even a crude reading unless that util can be set up properly for the respective board it's ran on. It might be possible to set properly but more investigation can be needed.

To get a more accurate reading than software can hope for, you need a multimeter to measure at the psu connectors to the load, not an unsed connector which would s how a little higher value. If investigatons suggested the psu voltage at connectors was correct but the board itself drops too low from high current (most common on late faster speed Athlons if/when they used 5V rail for the VRM power subcircuit) then measurement on the board itself might help (help in an effort to attain high overclocks I mean, in spec'd speed uses the voltage drop on a board is seldom a problem).

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
your motherboard cd should have a utility program to monitor the temps and voltages (a little more acurate )
sis sandra if you have the latest patch.
I dont think the free software is acurate.

As a matter of fact none of the software, not even the the motherboard utilities, is compleatly acurate.

PSU 101[/url]"]There’s one chip on the motherboard that manages health monitoring. Software gets it’s readings from the same chip as the BIOS does. There is a margin of error on this chip do to the resistance created by the traces between the ATX connector and the chip. This margin of error is very slight. There is also a margin of error from the software's translation of the chips readings. The software isn’t completely useless. It is a good enough tool to indicate when there is a major problem.

Your right.
But it’s the most accurate being that the software is made to read the sensors of that particular manufacturer’s product.
I would rely on the OEM before any others and use that as a guide line.
Not everyone has the sensitive equipment that you or I may have.
My advice to anyone would be multiple comparison but pay attention to the OEM software.

JBS181818

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
alright guys. so far we've talked about all the different ways to check the voltages and their relative accuracy. Is it import that i do it though? My system is running great right now. no problems at all. I just wanted to know the voltages for precautionary purposes.