New fastest AGP card on the block...

pauldh

Illustrious
It's official, the Gainward BLISS 7800GS+ AGP card has been beaten
It has been mentioned already and is nice to see. But as far as beating the Gainward Bliss+, that's not really official until they are pitted against each other. Seeing how the bliss is a 450/1250 clocked 24-pipe 7900, the x1950 pro should be able to beat it if it truely is spec'd the same as the PCI-e. It may be a fairly safe bet, but it's not official. :D

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
X1900 XT performance but with the advantage of much lower power consumption, cooler running and now available on AGP. A cracking card for very little money and one that packs a serious punch with superb image quality.
Riiight. :lol:

pauldh

Illustrious
Ya but is it going to be released in the good old USA?
With Gecube, Powercolor, and Sapphire all making them, sure they should be in the USA. The problem with Gainward is Gainward North America closed up shop, that's why we can't buy any Gainwards over here without getting them shipped from across the UK (etc.)

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
which means that in the US, it WILL be cheaper than that... tends to be higher priced kit here in the UK than the US...

Kinda odd site to see; all these ATi third party vendors tripping over themselves trying to market an x1950 for the AGP market. I( I think it great news) However, I still think its an odd site to see. Would this have still happened if AMD never made the buyout of ATi?

cleeve

Illustrious
Would this have still happened if AMD never made the buyout of ATi?

Corporate changovers take a long time to effect stuff like this.
The AMD takeover couldn't possibly have effected the AGP X1950 PRO which must have been in the design stages for a while.

Plain and simple, Ati X1900 cards are too power hungry for AGP. The X1950 GT is smaller and requires less power - it's therefore a good AGP candidate.

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I like that companies still care about people who still use AGP and I also like to know that there is still people out there willing to spend money on their agp systems.

we had the 7800gs for a long time, then we had the visiontek x1300 and in like less than a month we have the new x1950pro THATS GreAT

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
I like that companies still care about people who still use AGP and I also like to know that there is still people out there willing to spend money on their agp systems.

they DONT care, your just profit. they make more raping you with AGP then they do with PCI-E....I hope you realize that. :roll:

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003

they DONT care, your just profit. they make more raping you with AGP then they do with PCI-E....I hope you realize that. :roll:

Companies just want profit?
Ah, sort of like the blind migration of acceptance to PCIe??? :wink: :wink: "don't ask questions! It's better, cause we said so!!!" :lol: :lol:

How many ugrade dollars have gamers thrown at their rigs to replace mobos, video cards, CPUs or total system replacement based on test bench scores? Plenty, that by and large offer sometimes only slight overall improvement.

rdhood

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006

So true!!
You have to realize that you can buy a new motherboard that takes PCIe AND a PCIe card for the price of the AGP equivalent. If there were a greater number of PCIe MBs that would take DDR-SDRAM for the various processors that you would want to use(i.e. if you had a choice beyond a few very basic motherboards), then AGP would be dead because the choice would be a true no brainer.

The only reason AGP is still around at grossly inflated prices is because the jump to PCIe usually involves more than just the graphics card/MB. But if you are not out to get a top notch overclocking motherboard, then there ARE some basic motherboards for Conroe/741/939 that take PCIe and DDR-SDRAM, so you can upgrade to PCIe/MB for as cheap as you can get the comparable AGP card.

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
Would this have still happened if AMD never made the buyout of ATi?

Corporate changovers take a long time to effect stuff like this.
The AMD takeover couldn't possibly have effected the AGP X1950 PRO which must have been in the design stages for a while.

Plain and simple, Ati X1900 cards are too power hungry for AGP. The X1950 GT is smaller and requires less power - it's therefore a good AGP candidate.

Yes, which is why this topic no doubt was discussed prior to the buyout with AMD. Odd how this move wasn't made until after the merger AMD. No effort made with the x1800 series at all when there wasn't a whiff of AMD interest.

Power hungry or not, ATi approves every GPU release to its third party developers. ATi can sell a x1950 if they want.

Considering that the new 8800 from Nvidia has TWO 6pin molex power connections, lofty power requirements are not limitations for any video interface.

cleeve

Illustrious
Considering that the new 8800 from Nvidia has TWO 6pin molex power connections, lofty power requirements are not limitations for any video interface.

I wouldn't agree with that. One of the main justifications of supplying only second-tier cards to AGP was power requirements, which makes sense when you consider that PCIe delivers more power to the bus than AGP, and that a typical AGP user isn't expected to buy a new power supply for their aging AGP system when they could simply buy a new PCIe system.

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003

I wouldn't agree with that. One of the main justifications of supplying only second-tier cards to AGP was power requirements, which makes sense when you consider that PCIe delivers more power to the bus than AGP, and that a typical AGP user isn't expected to buy a new power supply for their aging AGP system when they could simply buy a new PCIe system.

Ah, but remember Cleeve, in 2003 PCIe video cards did away with extra power conenctions. That was a crtitcal point against "leading edge" AGP cards. Three years later practically every top end PCIe video card dupticate this practice. Hence the upcomming move to PCIe 2.0 mobo standards to (hopefully) eliminate additional power connections to the card via the slot.

cleeve

Illustrious
I know it's possible, I'm just saying I don't think it's something the manufacturers bothered with foir something thay considered is a dying bus.

AGP sales over the past year have probably given them reason enough to give AGP another crack with a new part, but not with something that would push older AGP systems whose power supplies are probably in the 350w or less range...

I dunno. I guess we can believe whatever we want, but how does an AGP part help AMD, who is moving everything over to the AM2 socket? Even most of their 939 parts use PCIe. I just don't see any reason AMD would bother influencing this.

Seems like a plain and simple delayed reaction to the 7800 GS to me.

Mach5Motorsport

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2003
I know it's possible, I'm just saying I don't think it's something the manufacturers bothered with foir something thay considered is a dying bus.

AGP sales over the past year have probably given them reason enough to give AGP another crack with a new part, but not with something that would push older AGP systems whose power supplies are probably in the 350w or less range...

I dunno. I guess we can believe whatever we want, but how does an AGP part help AMD, who is moving everything over to the AM2 socket? Even most of their 939 parts use PCIe. I just don't see any reason AMD would bother influencing this.

Seems like a plain and simple delayed reaction to the 7800 GS to me.

Yes a very delayed reaction. Indeed, every ATi card sold now is a sale for AMD, so why wouldn't they encourage a x1950 AGP? :D Leave no system (939 or 754) unturned.

One company under green! :wink:

cleeve

Illustrious
Yes a very delayed reaction. Indeed, every ATi card sold now is a sale for AMD, so why wouldn't they encourage a x1950 AGP?

Because it would encourage people not to upgrade their CPU and migrate to PCIe... whic is probably something AMD wants. :p

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
That could be a double edged sword though. Upgrading their CPU could mean upgrading to an Intel CPU. I think they realize there's still money to be made in AGP and money is what AMD/ATI needs right now. They also know, that up until now the best AGP card to get right now get was an nVidia card. Not so true anymore.