SB Office 2000

Does anyone know if it is ok to load Small Business Office 2000 designed for
ME on my new computer with XP? I'm being told that the program is not
compatible with XP and that I have to repurchase SB Office 2003 now. I've
gone to the information page for SB Office 2003 and it says that SB Office
2000 is an allowable program for purchasing the upgrade package but I'm
confused on how that works if I don't have 2000 loaded on my new computer.
(I think I need a Dummies book. I'm embarrased to say that this is way over
my head. I'd hate to spend $500 again to buy a program that I don't have to
buy)

Hi,

Office 2000 will run on XP, just make sure to install the service packs. It
won't install *if* it's a version that was included as part of your WinME
installation (came with the machine as part of a bundled package). If that's
the case, you'll need a full version of Office (anything from 97, 2000,
2002, or 2003 will work), not an upgrade.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"EMorgan" <EMorgan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if it is ok to load Small Business Office 2000 designed
> for
> ME on my new computer with XP? I'm being told that the program is not
> compatible with XP and that I have to repurchase SB Office 2003 now. I've
> gone to the information page for SB Office 2003 and it says that SB Office
> 2000 is an allowable program for purchasing the upgrade package but I'm
> confused on how that works if I don't have 2000 loaded on my new computer.
> (I think I need a Dummies book. I'm embarrased to say that this is way
> over
> my head. I'd hate to spend $500 again to buy a program that I don't have
> buy)

My older Office 2000 Professional Small Business Edition installs and runs
fine under Windows XP.

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"EMorgan" <EMorgan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if it is ok to load Small Business Office 2000 designed
> for
> ME on my new computer with XP? I'm being told that the program is not
> compatible with XP and that I have to repurchase SB Office 2003 now. I've
> gone to the information page for SB Office 2003 and it says that SB Office
> 2000 is an allowable program for purchasing the upgrade package but I'm
> confused on how that works if I don't have 2000 loaded on my new computer.
> (I think I need a Dummies book. I'm embarrased to say that this is way
> over
> my head. I'd hate to spend $500 again to buy a program that I don't have
> buy)

Even OFFICE 97 works fine on XP.
Your issue with OFFICE SBE 2000 is that the EULA may be OEM
and tied to that ME computer.

"Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote
in message news:OAouOys2EHA.3244@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

EMorgan wrote:
> Does anyone know if it is ok to load Small Business Office 2000 designed for
> ME on my new computer with XP? I'm being told that the program is not
> compatible with XP and that I have to repurchase SB Office 2003 now. I've
> gone to the information page for SB Office 2003 and it says that SB Office
> 2000 is an allowable program for purchasing the upgrade package but I'm
> confused on how that works if I don't have 2000 loaded on my new computer.
> (I think I need a Dummies book. I'm embarrased to say that this is way over
> my head. I'd hate to spend $500 again to buy a program that I don't have to
> buy)

Not, it's not "OK." Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business Edition was
available *only* as an OEM product, pre-installed at the factory by
computer manufacturers so licensed. Bercause it is an OEM product, it
cannot legitimately be transfered to any other computer. It is
permanently bound to the computer with which it was purchased,
regardless of the fate of the older system. This also means that it
cannot legimiately be used to qualify for an upgrade on any but the
original computer.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

EMorgan schrieb:
> Does anyone know if it is ok to load Small Business Office 2000 designed for
> ME on my new computer with XP? I'm being told that the program is not
> compatible with XP and that I have to repurchase SB Office 2003 now. I've
> gone to the information page for SB Office 2003 and it says that SB Office
> 2000 is an allowable program for purchasing the upgrade package but I'm
> confused on how that works if I don't have 2000 loaded on my new computer.
> (I think I need a Dummies book. I'm embarrased to say that this is way over
> my head. I'd hate to spend $500 again to buy a program that I don't have to
> buy)
wtf you are bying ms office for? http://www.openoffice.org - it's free,
it's open source and it does its job at least as good as ms office PLUS
it can read AND write the ms office file formats... in addition to that
i think it can write PDFs right out of the box (but i'm not shure)

Bruce, a question if I may.

I have Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business Edition (and since, Office XP
and Office 2003).

I purchased Office 2000 SBE the day it was released for sale to the public,
from Staples - in New York. Do I have an OEM version? Nothing in the
documentation - anywhere - says this! I also paid about $485 for it, if
memory serves me (it was a few years ago). I still have the original box and
documentation. Also read all the available text files on the computer that
has it installed.

I can neither confirm, nor deny, what you have said.

A little late to be worrying if I was ripped off I guess (-:

--

Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

Richard Urban wrote:
> My older Office 2000 Professional Small Business Edition installs and
> runs fine under Windows XP.

Richard,

There's no such thing as "Office 2000 Professional Small Business Edition".
Which do you have 200o Pro or 2000 SBE?
on salads.

EMorgan wrote:
> Does anyone know if it is ok to load Small Business Office 2000
> designed for ME on my new computer with XP?

Office 2000 wasn't "designed for ME". No version of Office was 'designed'
for any particular OS (OK, 2003 will only run on Windows 2000 SP3+, Windows
XP or Windows 2003, so I suppose you could say it was designed for those
operating systems).

I'm being told that the
> program is not compatible with XP and that I have to repurchase SB
> Office 2003 now.

Told by whom?

I've gone to the information page for SB Office
> 2003 and it says that SB Office 2000 is an allowable program for
> purchasing the upgrade package but I'm confused on how that works if
> I don't have 2000 loaded on my new computer. (I think I need a
> Dummies book. I'm embarrased to say that this is way over my head.
> I'd hate to spend $500 again to buy a program that I don't have to
> buy)

Just insert the disc when prompted by the setup routine. I fail to see
what's so difficult to understand...

on salads.

Richard Urban wrote:
> Bruce, a question if I may.
>
> I have Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business Edition (and since, Office XP
> and Office 2003).
>
> I purchased Office 2000 SBE the day it was released for sale to the public,
> from Staples - in New York. Do I have an OEM version? Nothing in the
> documentation - anywhere - says this! I also paid about $485 for it, if
> memory serves me (it was a few years ago). I still have the original box and
> documentation. Also read all the available text files on the computer that
> has it installed.
>
> I can neither confirm, nor deny, what you have said.
>
> A little late to be worrying if I was ripped off I guess (-:

Well, if you purchased a copy of Office 2K SBE through a retail outlet,
and your documentation does not say anything about it's being an OEM
license, I can only conclude that I was mistaken. Up until Office XP, I
had never come across - nor seen for sale - a non-OEM version of Office
SBE. Even Microsoft's web site had always, up till then, as best my
memory serves, listed Office SBE as only an OEM product. However, I'd
have to conclude that your documentation trumps my memory.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Richard Urban wrote:
> Bruce, a question if I may.
>
> I have Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business Edition (and since, Office XP
> and Office 2003).
>
> I purchased Office 2000 SBE the day it was released for sale to the public,
> from Staples - in New York. Do I have an OEM version? Nothing in the
> documentation - anywhere - says this! I also paid about $485 for it, if
> memory serves me (it was a few years ago). I still have the original box and
> documentation. Also read all the available text files on the computer that
> has it installed.
>
> I can neither confirm, nor deny, what you have said.
>
> A little late to be worrying if I was ripped off I guess (-:

As was posted,some manufacturers included office along with the OS, so
those are made for the particular computer that was sold.
In your case you bought a stand alone program which can be put on any
computer you wish.
-max
--
Keeping Windows Clean: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html
Virus Cleaning+Fixes: http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/TechPros

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> EMorgan wrote:
>> Does anyone know if it is ok to load Small Business Office 2000
>> designed for ME on my new computer with XP? I'm being told that the
>> program is not compatible with XP and that I have to repurchase SB
>> Office 2003 now. I've gone to the information page for SB Office
>> 2003 and it says that SB Office 2000 is an allowable program for
>> purchasing the upgrade package but I'm confused on how that works if
>> I don't have 2000 loaded on my new computer. (I think I need a
>> Dummies book. I'm embarrased to say that this is way over my head. I'd
>> hate to spend $500 again to buy a program that I don't have to
>> buy)
>

> Not, it's not "OK." Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business Edition was
> available *only* as an OEM product, pre-installed at the factory by
> computer manufacturers so licensed. Bercause it is an OEM product, it
> cannot legitimately be transfered to any other computer. It is
> permanently bound to the computer with which it was purchased,
> regardless of the fate of the older system. This also means that it
> cannot legimiately be used to qualify for an upgrade on any but the
> original computer.

You are right, Bruce. For some reason I thought that was XP SBE, not 2000.
on salads.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

> Office 2000 wasn't "designed for ME". No version of Office was 'designed'
> for any particular OS (OK, 2003 will only run on Windows 2000 SP3+,
> Windows XP or Windows 2003, so I suppose you could say it was designed for
> those operating systems).

And since you are so pedantic, where in hades does one get Windows 2003? Of
course, there is no such version, but there is a "Windows Server 2003" !