What were you guys thinking?

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
This new layout is awfull. The colors are awfull. Things are harder to find. The forumz are harder on the eyes. Even the smilies are worse. The only positive I see is the quick reply at the bottom. Could't this have been integrated into the old forumz?

Labbai

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007
Hi,

Layout & colours are customisable (view it in your profile settings).

Things are harder to find because it's new... I hope in one week your opionion will be changed. ;)

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
I have tried to customize the colors, the cahnges refused to take. As for the the layout I saw one section about moving buttons around but all it had was a bunch of unlabled radio buttons so I figured I'd better leave them alone.

Perhaps with another 6 months of full time dev work this new forums will approach the functionality I would expect from a historically top notch site like THG.

The extra ad pages and the current mess are starting to make me think I should look elswhere for my information. I still don't like the last 2 generations of home page as much as the version that was here in 98 99 but at least everything I used has come back to some semblance of usefullness. The archives still need a lot of work to be as usefull as they once were.

Labbai

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007

It forces you to learn french. :whistle:

I think it's a mistake. ;) Joce will confirm or not.

joce

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007

do you have your profile configured in french ? :p

joce

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007

yup, unfortunately they are overriden by tom's own css, perhaps they will fix this later.

Labbai

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007

Depends. ;)

EDIT : Joce : you should to set an example to members concern the multiquote feature. :p

joce

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007

I think that's the issue : it's sending the email in the same language your profile is configured...

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005

No I do not I have checked that now and it was always English.

Trying to reply to this message created a new issue. How do I reply to a message? All I could figure out was to quote the one I wanted to reply to and then answer.

EDIT: I have tried to find an option to place the reply botton in the toolbars preferences but could not find a reply botton. Does this mean we actually have to quote an entire message to reply to someone? That is going to create some really long nested quotes.

joce

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007

nop, nested quotes are not possible, the forum automatically removes the original quote to only let the anwer to the quote.

You can see this if you quote my own answer, containing a quote

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005

You are correct on that, on the other hand I don't like that either.

joce

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007

there are not allowed to improve the global readability of the topics.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005

I do not like the fact that nested quotes don't work. (for a good example of why, look at this post, now assume a new person comes into the conversation they are going to be doing a lot of scrolling up and down to figure out exactly what the conversation(s) going on is).

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005

Still like the old system a lot better. This system means you loose track of where you were (how much did it jump?).

joce

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2007

It jumps with no limit. By experience, nested quote are really inconfortable to read and overload a thread, and I hardly need to see what's the original post is.