Sign in with
Your question

What were you guys thinking?

Last response: in Site Feedback
July 10, 2007 12:45:23 PM

This new layout is awfull. The colors are awfull. Things are harder to find. The forumz are harder on the eyes. Even the smilies are worse. The only positive I see is the quick reply at the bottom. Could't this have been integrated into the old forumz?

More about : guys thinking

July 10, 2007 6:52:19 PM

Hi,

Layout & colours are customisable (view it in your profile settings).

Things are harder to find because it's new... I hope in one week your opionion will be changed. ;) 
July 10, 2007 7:43:06 PM

I have tried to customize the colors, the cahnges refused to take. As for the the layout I saw one section about moving buttons around but all it had was a bunch of unlabled radio buttons so I figured I'd better leave them alone.

Perhaps with another 6 months of full time dev work this new forums will approach the functionality I would expect from a historically top notch site like THG.

The extra ad pages and the current mess are starting to make me think I should look elswhere for my information. I still don't like the last 2 generations of home page as much as the version that was here in 98 99 but at least everything I used has come back to some semblance of usefullness. The archives still need a lot of work to be as usefull as they once were.
Related resources
July 10, 2007 7:44:45 PM

Speaking of useless why am I getting alerts in French? I didn't read it before I just knew the address and clicked the link.
July 10, 2007 7:47:05 PM

Aragorn said:
Speaking of useless why am I getting alerts in French? I didn't read it before I just knew the address and clicked the link.

It forces you to learn french. :whistle: 

I think it's a mistake. ;)  Joce will confirm or not.
July 10, 2007 7:51:35 PM

Well the next alert came in English (I thought I had selected that as me preffered language). One bug down? It's a start.
July 10, 2007 7:53:24 PM

My colors show up when I click on my profile link but I still see the default colors on the forum pages.
July 10, 2007 8:01:23 PM

Aragorn said:
I have tried to customize the colors, the cahnges refused to take. As for the the layout I saw one section about moving buttons around but all it had was a bunch of unlabled radio buttons so I figured I'd better leave them alone.

I background picture is missing, you should see this :

http://www.mydiscussions.net/doc/english/user/html/ch07...

July 10, 2007 8:02:01 PM

Labbai said:
It forces you to learn french. :whistle: 

I think it's a mistake. ;)  Joce will confirm or not.

do you have your profile configured in french ? :p 
July 10, 2007 8:02:59 PM

Aragorn said:
My colors show up when I click on my profile link but I still see the default colors on the forum pages.

yup, unfortunately they are overriden by tom's own css, perhaps they will fix this later.
July 10, 2007 8:04:00 PM

joce said:

Depends. ;) 

EDIT : Joce : you should to set an example to members concern the multiquote feature. :p 
July 10, 2007 8:06:42 PM

Labbai said:
Depends. ;) 

I think that's the issue : it's sending the email in the same language your profile is configured...
July 10, 2007 8:08:42 PM

Yes but it's not me which have the problem. :D 
July 10, 2007 8:10:02 PM

joce said:

No I do not I have checked that now and it was always English.

Trying to reply to this message created a new issue. How do I reply to a message? All I could figure out was to quote the one I wanted to reply to and then answer.

EDIT: I have tried to find an option to place the reply botton in the toolbars preferences but could not find a reply botton. Does this mean we actually have to quote an entire message to reply to someone? That is going to create some really long nested quotes.
July 10, 2007 8:18:54 PM

Aragorn said:
No I do not I have checked that now and it was always English.

Trying to reply to this message created a new issue. How do I reply to a message? All I could figure out was to quote the one I wanted to reply to and then answer.

EDIT: I have tried to find an option to place the reply botton in the toolbars preferences but could not find a reply botton. Does this mean we actually have to quote an entire message to reply to someone? That is going to create some really long nested quotes.

nop, nested quotes are not possible, the forum automatically removes the original quote to only let the anwer to the quote.

You can see this if you quote my own answer, containing a quote
July 10, 2007 8:34:35 PM

joce said:
nop, nested quotes are not possible, the forum automatically removes the original quote to only let the anwer to the quote.

You can see this if you quote my own answer, containing a quote

You are correct on that, on the other hand I don't like that either.
July 10, 2007 8:38:22 PM

What happened to Images in Sigs?
July 10, 2007 8:44:41 PM

Aragorn said:
What happened to Images in Sigs?

there are not allowed to improve the global readability of the topics.
July 10, 2007 8:45:11 PM

Aragorn said:
You are correct on that, on the other hand I don't like that either.

how the old system was working ?
July 10, 2007 10:11:51 PM

joce said:
how the old system was working ?

I do not like the fact that nested quotes don't work. (for a good example of why, look at this post, now assume a new person comes into the conversation they are going to be doing a lot of scrolling up and down to figure out exactly what the conversation(s) going on is).
July 10, 2007 10:17:47 PM

click on "joce wrote :", this will automatically scroll up to the originally quoted post ;) 
July 10, 2007 10:25:00 PM

things are harder to find because the layout sux :fou: 
July 10, 2007 10:31:25 PM

joce said:
click on "joce wrote :", this will automatically scroll up to the originally quoted post ;) 

Still like the old system a lot better. This system means you loose track of where you were (how much did it jump?).
July 10, 2007 10:34:24 PM

Aragorn said:
Still like the old system a lot better. This system means you loose track of where you were (how much did it jump?).

It jumps with no limit. By experience, nested quote are really inconfortable to read and overload a thread, and I hardly need to see what's the original post is.
July 11, 2007 5:02:37 AM

I disagree. It's a waste of time to be scrolling up and down and ending up who knows where; nested quotes make things clear in the current "window" on the thread.
July 11, 2007 5:16:08 AM

This guy (Mondoman) knows what's going on. I believe that is a much better solution. Current broadband and storgae systems really should be able to handle the text (and if not use a bunch of pointers and create it on the fly).
July 11, 2007 12:40:53 PM

I am in Australia ... there is not link from the "where are you" page when I log in.

If you don't like us Aussies then we can always go somewhere else I suppose??

So please put Australia on the map ... we have the hottest blonde women and some Leet programmers ... isn't that enough? We can send some sharks and vegemite as payment ... and a few sheep too. We come third in the Olympics ... not bad for a nation of only 20 million !!!

Secondly, If I try to go home from any point in the forumz I get a "denied" page ... effectively I can't go back to the home page ... without a restart.

The forums fomat is also unfriendly.

The spyware in the ads is also a pretty cheap and nasty shot - we are mostly techy people who are members ... we are not stupid noobs.

end rant
July 12, 2007 12:58:53 PM

Reynod said:
I am in Australia ... there is not link from the "where are you" page when I log in.

If you don't like us Aussies then we can always go somewhere else I suppose??

So please put Australia on the map ... we have the hottest blonde women and some Leet programmers ... isn't that enough? We can send some sharks and vegemite as payment ... and a few sheep too. We come third in the Olympics ... not bad for a nation of only 20 million !!!
:D 

I hope members' map will be soon activated here. For example : http://forum.hardware.fr/hfr/carte/monde.html

Reynod said:

Secondly, If I try to go home from any point in the forumz I get a "denied" page ... effectively I can't go back to the home page ... without a restart.

It works perfectly with me ?!

Retry... maybe... ?

Reynod said:

The forums fomat is also unfriendly.

What kind ?

Reynod said:

The spyware in the ads is also a pretty cheap and nasty shot - we are mostly techy people who are members ... we are not stupid noobs.
No link with the forum. ;) 
July 12, 2007 1:50:12 PM

Labbai wrote :

No link with the forum. ;) 

If you can't watch what your advertizers are putting up and guarantee that it is safe then don't put up ads! Of course it is linked to the forum, its on YOUR site.

And on a side not who the ... moved my icons?
July 12, 2007 9:49:36 PM

Docteur Korma said:
The default position has apprently been changed.
You can relocate your icons here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/user/editprofil.php?c...

I already fixed them, but thanks for the link I'm sure others will need it. Which leads me to another problem, when I tried to move the icons relating to the poster below the avatar the formatting of the threads went nuts.
July 12, 2007 11:31:54 PM

Is it OK now? You should post a screenshot, it may help.
July 13, 2007 7:11:31 AM

NEW SITE - LOVE IT!!!! The layout is brilliant and it looks really professional. Well done guys!!!!
July 13, 2007 9:11:43 PM

steveobhave said:
NEW SITE - LOVE IT!!!! The layout is brilliant and it looks really professional. Well done guys!!!!

Woo ! First really positive comment ! :love:  :D 
July 14, 2007 12:01:10 PM

Labbai said:
Woo ! First really positive comment ! :love:  :D 

By a user that was not part of the community before the last forum change, just like yourself. Can you please stop pointing out the obvious?

The fact that a lot of people are unhappy with the forum change is not going to change by people like yourself pointing out all the good features of the new forum. They miss the functionality and the layout of the old forum.

July 15, 2007 8:27:33 AM

this forum use to be really cool. but now the layout and everthing really sucks. An example is that i wanted to edit this message but couldnt find the icon to use it. The only thing that is really clear is if you want to report somebody to the mods which indicates to me that differring opinions is of primary concern to website mods. This is just plain bad.
!