LiteOn SHM-165H6S won't read data DVDs

Erdrick22

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
I'm having trouble using an optical drive, the model is Lite-On SHM-165H6S.

The problem is with Installing programs from DVDs. I can, however, install programs from CDs correctly and I can watch movies from DVDs. The error messages I get are:

D:\ is not a valid Win32 application

D:\setup.exe Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory was completed

I have this optical drive connected to the (blue) primary IDE port on an Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard with the jumper set to "Cable Select". My hard drive is connected to the (red) primary SATA port. I am using the "HDD" IDE cable supplied by the motherboard to connect the optical drive. The "CD ROM" IDE cable supplied by the motherboard was creating the same issues when installing programs from a CD, many people suggested using the "HDD" IDE cable corrected their problem. This fixed my problem temporarily but I get the same messages now when installing from a DVD.

After switching I could install programs from CD but not from a DVD. The DVD I am trying to read is Microsoft Flight Simulator X Deluxe, Disc 1. The disc itself is new and clean with no marks whatsoever. I also tried another data DVD I had and it has the same issue.

I have since disabled the JMicron IDE controller disabled in the BIOS, changed the jumper on the optical drive to "master", removed the device from device manager and rebooted but nothing seems to work.

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi.
did you try out to change ide cable?
have you ever use cd lens cleaner on that drive?
i can not think something else .

Erdrick22

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
Thanks for the note, as it turns out it had nothing to do with the wire at all. Apparently there is some incompatability with Nero 6 that was causing my computer not to be able to read DVDs correctly. When I uninstalled Nero6 everything starting working. I'm not sure how to correct this problem with the Nero software, but thanks anyway for your reply.