Sign in with
Your question

Is my 7900 GT busted?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 21, 2006 11:57:59 PM

MSI NX7900GT-VT2D256E HD GeForce 7900 GT PCI Express 256MB DDR3.

I have only been using this card a few days. The second day it suddenly went nuts while playing DDO, all kinds of graphical errors, then the screen started blinking, as if changing the resolution or Hz, and finally locks up.

End result is either the computer reboots itself of I have hit the power button to restart. It also has the same issues with Oblivion, but doesn't lock up as fast.

I watched the GPU temp while playing Oblivion, it only got up to about 55C before crashing. Thats not very hot...

I tried running 3Dmark2001SE, it did fine until the very last test which crashed the computer.

I ran thru 3Dmark06 with no crash. Here's the scores if it helps...
3Dmark Score = 4804
SM2.0 Score = 1987
HDR/SM3.0 Score = 2002
CPU Score = 1591

It has no problems at all with general windows apps and internet surfing. Right now it's at 46C degrees.

I haven't changed anything from the stock. No OC. I did try updating the graphics and MB drivers.

I read many other people are having issues with 7900 series...has anyone found a solution or should I just send this one back for a refund and just have to eat the restock fee...?

More about : 7900 busted

October 22, 2006 12:55:00 AM

Try pulling your sound card, deleting those drivers, and using the mb sound if it has it, reinstall video drivers after deleting them, then reinstall the sound card.

I have that sound card and I had trouble with my new 7900 GTO, but only on overclock.

After pulling my hair out, Ifinally did the above, and have had no trouble.

Seems the sound card likes being the new kid on the block. Must be the nvidia drivers as I had no troubles with my x1900xtx.
October 22, 2006 1:21:31 AM

IThank you so much for that advice. I hope this fixes the problem.

I removed the Sound card and uninstalled all the assosiated sound programs using the Windows Add/Remove thingy. Games are a little more stable now, but still eventually lock up or the monitor starts clicking on and off like its changing its refresh rate...

So maybe its a driver problem, or maybe a little of both hardware and software...
Related resources
October 23, 2006 3:39:01 AM

Quote:
IThank you so much for that advice. I hope this fixes the problem.

I removed the Sound card and uninstalled all the assosiated sound programs using the Windows Add/Remove thingy. Games are a little more stable now, but still eventually lock up or the monitor starts clicking on and off like its changing its refresh rate...

So maybe its a driver problem, or maybe a little of both hardware and software...

I have the same Symtoms as you unfoutnetly guess what it was !

My Inno3D 7900GT was faulty it was one of the early batches.

The first problem i had was artifacts appearing in games after about 3hrs of game time. Then my Screen (A Viewsonic G90f+) wasent turning on (it was working perfectly at the time, but now its allso dead, anyway thats a seperate issue)

So i lumped this for about 2 weeks then i started up a 3D game and BOOM! within 5 minutes i saw really REALLY Bad Artifacts my cards core temp was up 20 C and it was @ 85 while ingame !

So today i thought **** it ill take this ****ty card out and put my XpertVision 6600gt 256mb PCI-E back in

IT RAN BETTER THEN MY 7900GT IT WAS COMPLETELY ****ED UP!

I have yet to contact my friend who is a dealer of the distriputor compony called Altech

But yeah i hope you somehow get your Card fixed/replaced

As my choice iam gonna send my card back get a refund and go buy a Antec Sonata 2 case and a 1950XTX

Good lucky fellow Videocardtorubleian!
October 23, 2006 4:01:47 AM

i have a XFX 7600GT AGP for about 3 days, pretty close to what you're having,

used it about 3 days and im getting artifacts blurries across the screen, it doesnt stop till i restart, or log off windows and log back on

happens ocassionaly so im about to RMA it..... newegg dont have it in stock anymore =(

i'd say call them and RMA it like me :) 
October 23, 2006 4:21:51 AM

Maybe they pulled a microsoft and forgot to remove the protective film?
just a thouhgt =D
!