Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Slow start up of windows 7

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
June 7, 2011 7:44:07 AM

I hope someone here can shed some light on a problem that is making me pull my hair out. I have recently upgraded my computer and it was all running perfectly and booting into windows in about 15 seconds and then was good to go. However Now it is a completly different story it boots into windows in about 15 seconds but then over the network icon bottom right a blue cirlce appears and takes 2 minutes for the computer to respond. If i even try and run any programs (not just internet) it wont load them till after the blue cirlce goes.

Another issue that appears sometimes is that if i try and open too many programs on the boot it will tell me windows explorer failed.

one other issue that did happen was that it was having a kernal power failour however since i have removed a Power consumption meter this problem has gone away so i think that was a separate issue.

system specs are

I7 950 GHZ 3.06 OC to 4.0 (i have tried running it with no over clock and no luck)
Sabertooth x58
Vertex2 160gb
1tb Spinpoint 1TB x2
6GB ram

I have tried the following

Uninstalled and reinstalled the network drivers
Disabled Marvel drivers (as they are busted on the sabertooth x58)
Disabled all start up processes through MS config
Switched off the router and tried booting just incase the system was having issues that way
I tried running services.msc on boot to see if any of the processes were having troubles on boot but the system will not open it until that blue circle goes away. I could select all of them to delayed start but this is not really a solution more of a pain in the backside!

I am starting to run out of ideas and would be really gratefull if someone has experienced this before or better yet fixed the problem.

Thanks for everyones help

More about : slow start windows

a b $ Windows 7
June 7, 2011 8:09:51 AM

Have you updated the firmware on the ssd yet?
m
l
June 7, 2011 8:35:43 AM

yeah it was the first thing that i did, would that not cause a slow post to windows (the first initial boot) also i can access all the infomation on all the harddrives.
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
June 7, 2011 9:53:23 AM

Sounds to me like Windows is trying to connect to a network that doesn't exist or is unreachable. Have a look at your active network connections and see if there is something unexpected in there. Also open up Task Manager on startup (if possible) to see what is keeping your system occupied.
m
l
June 7, 2011 9:58:13 AM

I thought that was the case and so i deactivated Media center on windows as it was connected to my xbox which is not always on. It didnt make a difference. I will have to wait till later to check the Task manager as i am stuck at work at the moment. But im not sure how by looking at the task manager i can see what it is stuck on as they will show either runnning or not.
m
l
June 7, 2011 10:26:34 AM

I have just been thinking about what i have changed recently that could have caused this error and i have added a fan controller on the front and a drive bay adapter which USB3, USB2 and SD memory slots...... This surely cant be causing the computer to stuggle to detect the network?
m
l
June 7, 2011 10:51:06 AM

not really what i was looking for, maybe it works but i dont like installing third party stuff on my system if i can help it
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 7, 2011 12:04:58 PM

msconfig...!!!
m
l
June 7, 2011 12:05:50 PM

what about msconfig?
m
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
June 7, 2011 12:09:44 PM

use it..
selective start-up mode and then clear all except required / necessary executable's to run.
also look for any items in start-up that do not make sense and look abnormal,
those are viruses that made it into your system files.. OUCH.
un-check all of those and then reboot, see how that runs.

take note of all the possible viruses and / or spyware (write them down), then boot into safe mode and attempt to delete them..
June 7, 2011 12:11:25 PM

I did, i deselected all non Microsoft systems and it still has the issue. ..

"Disabled all start up processes through MS config "
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 7, 2011 12:13:21 PM

what anti-virus and spyware programs do you have.?
me personally use Comodo Internet Security and CCleaner.
m
l
June 7, 2011 12:14:29 PM

i use Kapersky which i have deactivated for now to rule it out of the start up process, i also have stopped Steam from working with it as well.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 7, 2011 12:27:41 PM

when's the last time you ran a viruse scan and checked for spyware/malware.?
do you have JAVA installed and of so how many installs.?
check your add/remove programs list.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 7, 2011 12:28:32 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Sounds to me like Windows is trying to connect to a network that doesn't exist or is unreachable. Have a look at your active network connections and see if there is something unexpected in there. Also open up Task Manager on startup (if possible) to see what is keeping your system occupied.

that's a possibility..
m
l
June 7, 2011 12:37:31 PM

what should i be looking for in the Task manager? surly they will just say running?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 7, 2011 12:42:57 PM

same.
anything that doesn't read correctly (doesn't seem logical).
try and kill the process and if it can't be killed then research what it is.
and if not suppose to be running, delete from safe mode..
m
l
June 7, 2011 3:54:18 PM

right i will try that and get back
m
l
June 8, 2011 7:09:48 AM

I have fixed it! It turned out that due to the kernal power failours the sytem needed to get the registry files cleaned. As soon as i did that it was good to go and works lilke a dream. Thanks for you help guys
m
l
June 9, 2011 2:43:48 AM

And what 'cleaner' did you use to fix the problem? I see exactly the same behavior here,
on a system that has had reported power failures in the past. CC cleaner did nothing.
m
l
June 9, 2011 8:50:56 AM

Well it did fix it but now after a 2 reboots the problem has come back. I used Macecraft jv16 powertools software as it was recomended by Kapersky. I had a new problem this time with the whole system going nuts and all core systems failing in windows with it not even allowing me to ctl-alt-del! i am going to reinstall windows and start again.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 9, 2011 10:07:06 AM

+1 on that, and take an image of that when its been updated, so that restalling will only take mins rather than hours.
m
l
June 9, 2011 10:41:26 AM

Richard226 said:
Well it did fix it but now after a 2 reboots the problem has come back. I used Macecraft jv16 powertools software as it was recomended by Kapersky. I had a new problem this time with the whole system going nuts and all core systems failing in windows with it not even allowing me to ctl-alt-del! i am going to reinstall windows and start again.

Microsoft Security Essentials was causing the lag here. After adding the exclusions described in this article the problem ceased...
http://www.brighthub.com/computing/smb-security/article...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 9, 2011 11:21:40 AM

Richard226 said:

if you do a clean install then pay close attention to install as per timelines.
this way when something happens you can perform a restore next time..
m
l
June 9, 2011 11:58:11 AM

yeah i kept planning on doing a restore point but never got round to it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 9, 2011 1:01:42 PM

set it up as soon as you finish the initial install of OS and pertinent software.
make sure you organize well in case you need to re-install the OS again in the future.
have all your files backed up and group together for easy access.
m
l
June 18, 2011 6:26:37 PM

Best answer selected by richard226.
m
l
May 10, 2014 6:37:42 PM

This worked for me. Click on run dialog and type msconfig. In the pop up click on services. Then check/tick Hide Microsoft services. In the ensuing dialog uncheck/untick Nividia network service. Finally click Apply. restart computer. Your problem will be solved.
m
l
!