Looking for a Conroe board

mythos

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
So, I've been makign my eyes bleed looking a million different motherboards trying to make sense of the whole mess... thought I'd try h ere and see if anyone has any advice

I'm looking to get an E6300, and need a motherboard that can do the following:

- integrated video (this is not a gaming system) with a DVI connection
- firewire
- HD audio
- mATX if possible but not absolutely necessary

The board should be capable of modest overclocking and the addition of a modest graphics card at a later date for possible vista / other requirements.

I've looked at the Gigabyte 965G but it only has VGA and no firewire :( And I can't find any info on other 965G boards or mATX 965G boards.. and not sure about the 945G, will it last me long enough to keep the next 3 years?

Anyone have any suggestions?

mythos

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Nm I think I found it - Asus P5B-VM
I was hoping for something under $100 but I guess it's not to be?
Anyone have this board? Will it allow me to get my E6300 up to 7x333? Is it recommended for a non-gaming system?

mythos

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Seems like you're right - vga only. Why is that?

Also seems like the p5b-vm doesn't overclock even a few MHz over 266 FSB... :( back again to the drawing board. Is there any way to get a decent mATX board for the E6300??

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
I don't know why that is - perhaps it's simply because a DVI is a bit of an odd shape and larger than a VGA, which conveniently enough fits exactly into the hole left where a serial port once was. Still, my PowerBook has a mini-DVI port on it, which then has a variety of adapters for S-video, VGA and full size DVI; perhaps they could put a similar thing on motherboards.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Nm I think I found it - Asus P5B-VM
I was hoping for something under $100 but I guess it's not to be?
Anyone have this board? Will it allow me to get my E6300 up to 7x333? Is it recommended for a non-gaming system?
I havent heard anything good (OCing wise) from those Asus mATX mobos. You best pick for OCing would be the DS3 with onboard video, and get an adapter or a low profile (~$25) video card with a DVI outet.