Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I have a couple RAM-mobo compatiblity questions:

1. Do the PC numbers of RAM have to do with mobo compatiblilty? (EX: PC2700) If so, how?

2. If a board says it supports DDR2 800, does that mean any brand or model?

I am just a little confused and need a push in the right direction.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
1.No those numbers have nothing to do with compatibility.
2.Yes.

The SPD (factory specs) specs usually are lower than the advertised timings so any board will be compatible. Once you get your modules they run perfectly at the advertised specs.

cptblackeye

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
I have a couple RAM-mobo compatiblity questions:

1. Do the PC numbers of RAM have to do with mobo compatiblilty? (EX: PC2700) If so, how?

2. If a board says it supports DDR2 800, does that mean any brand or model?

I am just a little confused and need a push in the right direction.

1. No
2. NO! Check the mobo manufacturers list of supported ram to know for sure what will work. Check out the Memory section of this forum and you will see plenty of incompatability issues there.

cptblackeye

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Nowadays all the DDR2 800 are JEDEC aprooved. The only knowed problem is with the Asus M2N series and OCZ memory.
I agree that all JEDEC approved ram should run but just because it is JEDEC approved doesn't mean you won't run into problems when instsalling in a new mobo. I've read on this forum where users have needed to borrow or purchase 1.8v ram for the system to post then could pump up the ram voltage to stick in the new ram. In those instances it is true that it will run but is a pain in the a$$. Some mobos won't let you adjust the voltages as in my Intel DP965LT. I knew this before I got this board so no problems.

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
Yeah I know that (from the other thread lol), thats why I only recommend motherboards that dont have general compatbility problems and that allow vDIMM changes.
Still youve got a point and you should research if youve got doubt about the compatibility among your mobo and memory.